Tent + Fly ..... need tarp as well??

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Tent + Fly ..... need tarp as well??

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Ha Ha :+ Well done markcrook...i guess it is horses for courses...i do love my tarp, have camped in rainy weather and if no tarp i would have been stuck inside the tent, i do think they keep the summer heat out..oo.com has some very nice gazebos on special,they have side walls with windows and i`m am considering would it be easier to put up than my tarp..considering i`m on my own sometimes,. it is an effort.BUT in my little hyundai Getz a big tarp takes up way less room.Great discussion
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sassenach.girl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Have been doing a little googling and there are a few gazebo's and screen domes that look lovely and would fit my purpose of having more living space for longer stays. These one's come with awnings/roll down weather awnings that can be pitched with polls to give extra shade/protection:

Oztrail Screen Dome Combo
Oztrail Gazebo with Mesh Inner
Black Wolf Sonoran
DMH High Wall Screen Dome

p.s. Dribble, what is oo.com?
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby Lin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:36 am

I only put up a tarp when I'm staying for longer than a couple of days. And I don't put it over my tent to maximise the space under the tarp to sit under. If I were to put it over the tent, I'd need a tarp double the size of what I use now. It would be nice to have a tarp over the tent for shade and also so you'd never have to pack up the tent in the rain. But they're just not good enough reasons for me to justify the effort and the extra gear to lug with.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:36 pm

sassenach.girl wrote:

www.oo.com.au
I don`t know how i got on to them but they are an australian company that sells things cheap.i have bought from the several times and have been happy..every week i get an email with different things some are excellent buys, l;ast time i got 500 thread sheets usually $200 a set for $79.

from Dribble :P
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:
from Dribble

Ha,ha,ha Poodle Jewel....have you changed your name and not told us about it????
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sassenach.girl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:25 pm

Ok, so I'm embarassed now ... so rry PJ for calling you Dribble! I didn't realise the forum 'named' people according to their posting amount :oops:

Poodle Jewel wrote:
sassenach.girl wrote:

http://www.oo.com.au
I don`t know how i got on to them but they are an australian company that sells things cheap.i have bought from the several times and have been happy..every week i get an email with different things some are excellent buys, l;ast time i got 500 thread sheets usually $200 a set for $79.

from Dribble :P
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:22 pm

That is only partly true Kylie....admin make up the rules as they go for various members and as you will see both Amanda and PJ share the same Mr or (Mrs) Dribble.

If have a look back through the old threads you will see some chat about these descriptive titles....it's all just a bit of fun......don't feel too badly about it, we don't.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:19 pm

Hmmmm.....Looks like Rosco vrs the rest.....lol (except...maybe PJ.....
In somes way Mark....you answered a number of reasons why you should be tarping...(remember,,,this comes from a Kiwi that had never seen a tarp over a tent before We started camping in 'OZ')....SECURITY.....(major word).....PROTECTION...COMFORT....PEACE OF MIND''..... and the list could go on...here again a number of my reasons come from experience i.e ...like , branches falling...birds doing their business..rain...sunshine / shade...packing up time....heavy due...space to move out side when it is raining (remember, We camp all year round)...room for bailie the dog to be outside protected from the rain & sun....We also cook out side (AS I HOPE YOU ALL DO)....not very nice cooking out in the rain...ay.....
The 1st few times putting it up did take time,,,now we have it pretty well sussed (well...Avis does..anyway..lol)...
Experience soon taught us that we needed stronger ,bigger corner pegs and the spreader bar but they last for years so to us the original cost is paid back over a short period....and after seeing a gazego twisted into a ???? after a pretty mild little storm was enough to put us off going 1/2 'dingaling' and under prepared with inferior quality camping gear that won't stand the test of time..(I actually like the look of those gazebos with the mesh sides)....

YOUR TURN.........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:28 pm

[quote="sassenach.girl"]Ok, so I'm embarassed now ... so rry PJ for calling you Dribble! I didn't realise the forum 'named' people according to their posting amount :oops:

LOL wondered how long before you worked it out,i thought of calling you boy scout lol, wait a while because some where along the way we became post whores,that was a topic and a half up for discussion.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:49 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:some where along the way we became post whores,that was a topic and a half up for discussion.

Hey PJ...I see where they are now Post Machines.....how about that???
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:03 pm

Can`t work out why you are called a Difficult Customer after over 4000 posts Gypsy,time for a name change.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:Can`t work out why you are called a Difficult Customer after over 4000 posts Gypsy,time for a name change.

It's ok....at least I am one of a kind this way.....and used to it. Might end up with something I really don't like PJ.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby ozoutdoors » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:32 am

Every day, People tell me they want to use a tarp over their tent, or worse, pitch their tent ontop of a tarp (or groundsheet)..

As was said earlier, modern day tents are made to stand what nature throws at them.
Tarps are a hassle to put up, a hassle to pack away.. and take up way too much space in the car. If you want to erect a tarp for shade so you can set up your tables, chairs etc.. thats one thing... but why carry one 3 times the size you need to shelter your tent?? its not worth it.

I really dont understand pitching your tent on a tarp either. Clear the area of sticks and stones before you roll out your tent. You dont need a barrier that will store water between a groundsheet and the floor of your tent.. thats just asking for trouble.
Check out the latest outdoors website
www.ozoutdoors.ws
ozoutdoors
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:28 am

Well ozoutdoors....you are clearly in the field of 'sales'. Do you want to tell us more??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 am

Obviously I take it they don't sell tarps tho Gypsy!!!! :lol:
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Guide