Tarp Poll

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Do you put a tarp over your camp??

Poll ended at Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Yes
40%
No
36%
Sometimes
24%

Total votes : 42

Tarp Poll

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:41 pm

With the recent discussion re to Tarp or not to Tarp, I thought I'd run a poll to see what we get.

I had a look back through the old threads and there has been a huge amount written and discussed on this forum over time re this very subject.....just put the word 'tarp' into the seach bar and see how many pages you get.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Tarp Poll

Postby markcrook » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Great idea for a poll, you beat me to it!

I'm a no.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:38 pm

I'm another NO. I have a gazebo to use for shelter.

Pro's -
Easier and quicker to setup
Guy ropes not really necessary, so no tripping over.

Con's -
Bulky and heavy to carry and store
Cost slightly more than a tarp and pole setup. But only by about $30
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby toucan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm a no....
We have a gazebo that the older kids can put up while we do the tent!
toucan
Camping King

Postby Titch » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:44 pm

No here as well.
Never rains in Victoria. :oops: :oops:
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Malcur » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm a "sometimes". We have a large tarp which we bought one wet weekend when we were already setup. Set the tarp up and it was great. We have taken it away a couple of times since, but it hasn't looked like rain so the tarp stayed under the trailer.

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby Pauly » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:01 pm

Im a yes, everytime
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:41 am

Does "over your camp" mean over your tent? Does putting up a tarp next to your tent count?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:47 am

I specifically had in mind 'over' the tent/camper as well when I set the poll up Lin.

That is not to say that you feel you do not qualify though......your choice as to how you vote, there are no sheep stations riding on the outcome.

Cheers....Gypsy
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:36 am

I'm a certain 'YES'.....

Dodgy Dave....If it wasn't for the sake of 'another' thing to cart around and put up....I'd have one of those gazebo's as well.....I like these ones I'm seeing out there with the mesh walls....If theres one thing I hate....is sharing my meals and beer with flie's....

I've seen one of those gazebos turned inside out and the frame destroyed after 'not' a very strong wind down in Tamworth....(poor fella as it was only days old)....generally, they seem to be made from fairly light materials.

Cheers

Rosco
Last edited by Rosco532 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:16 pm

Rosco532 wrote:I've seen one of those gazebos turned inside out and the frame destroyed after 'not' a very strong wind down in Tamworth....(poor fella as it was only days old)....
Cheers

Rosco

I have to say the very same thing happened to me. I bought one of the very first ones when they first came on the market, a 'First Up' it was called, complete with mesh walls and might I say at great expense, bought it on special for $299 from memory or maybe it was $399.

Camped with friends and had the brand new gazebo set up beside the camp so that we could all eat in peace away from the flies.

Had the table and chairs set up ready to eat dinner when up came the wind and away went the 'First Up'......it has never been able to be used again. Yes it was pegged down but only with the pegs supplied.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby patty7862 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:23 pm

Always put tarp over the CT now after being stuck in rain for 4 days non stop. Our tarp is big enough to give us a decent shade area in front of CT.
patty7862
Camping King

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:25 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Rosco532 wrote:I've seen one of those gazebos turned inside out and the frame destroyed after 'not' a very strong wind down in Tamworth....(poor fella as it was only days old)....
Cheers

Rosco

I have to say the very same thing happened to me. I bought one of the very first ones when they first came on the market, a 'First Up' it was called, complete with mesh walls and might I say at great expense, bought it on special for $299 from memory or maybe it was $399.

Camped with friends and had the brand new gazebo set up beside the camp so that we could all eat in peace away from the flies.

Had the table and chairs set up ready to eat dinner when up came the wind and away went the 'First Up'......it has never been able to be used again. Yes it was pegged down but only with the pegs supplied.

yes our neighbours live outside,they have had several gazebos ALL buckled by the wind,as for comments from people seeing tarps destroyed i feel they were el cheapo tarps or they were not pegged down firmly AND when the weather gets bad i adjust all my ropes to suit.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby dea » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:42 pm

we dont.. we have a big annexe on our ct we use.. but if we went for weeks on end we prob would set up one for eating area etc
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby snake_dr » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:49 pm

we have a Coleman gazebo and id be very surprised if this thing ever buckled due to wind, at a guess the frame is 1 inch square tube and its got some weight. setup and pack up time is about 5 minutes, and it gets strapped onto the toolbox on the front of the camper, easy shade solution and takes up no room for us.

a tarp right over your camper should give you added cooling though shouldnt it?
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat