average size of site for CT

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

average size of site for CT

Postby bex66 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi,
After much research have decided to go with the Cavalier rough roader CT due to weight issues and our car.
My next dilemma is 9ft camper top or 14ft camper top. I feel that the 9 ft is just a bit too small for 4 of us but am concerned the 14 may be too big for the average camp site. At the moment we only plan on going to caravan/camp sites. Can anyone advise me please .

Thank you in advance

becky
bex66
Boy Scout

Re: average size of site for CT

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:55 pm

14 ft would definitely be a better size for the family Becky and if you opted for unstructured sites in a campground or CP you'd be right.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby bex66 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:09 pm

thanks for that gypsy... by unstructured does that mean unpowered etc
we are complete novices to this camping lark and dont want to make a huge mistake with the size of our tent.

thank you for your help

becky
bex66
Boy Scout

Postby dea » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:27 pm

hi there .. is a 12 ft and we only just fit on a normal site in cp.. hence why we do bush now.. can spread out a bit more !!!we have a family of 6 .. & its good.. wish it was a bit bigger but it does us .. & soon enough kids will be be ou in a tent lol
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:19 pm

Unstructured sites have no particular boundaries, campgrounds are usually unstructured whereas CPs have specific sites and the sites are limited in size.

Some CPs have a tent area where you can set up but power is not always available in these areas.

Actually Becky, I just re read your post and realized I read it worng in the first instance....I read it as 4 children when there is only 4 of you all up.

The 9' will probably be ample if you put a set of bunks in for the kids....what ages are they??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby bex66 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:34 am

hi Gypsylady,
Kids are 8 and 9 and although sad to say fight like cat and dog.... so bunks although the ideal choice would not be ideal..... i dont think there is enough room
to have them separate. Dont know what to do really agree the 14ft did look very big and would prob be just fine if we were going bush, but because we are such novices we will only be doing caravan parks and camp sites i would imagine......

becky
bex66
Boy Scout

Postby Rosco532 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:54 am

Ha....I love the sound of kids fighting.....lol

Becky, I'm staggered at how many brands of camp trailers there are on the market now days....Maybe, A little more searching and you may be able to find a compremise that suits your family.....I did read a couple back that Dea said they had a '12' ft....
Young ones seem to be 'sticking' around home alot longer now days than they did a few years back....so....maybe the larger one would be the better choice.,,,nothing worse than being squashed in a small tent on a rainey day....plus, I think they are easier to keep tidy.

Cheers
Last edited by Rosco532 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:07 pm

bex66 wrote:hi Gypsylady,
Kids are 8 and 9 and although sad to say fight like cat and dog....
becky

OK Becky that makes it so much easier then....if they are that old and so disagreeable then I would suggest that they each have their own small tent. Problem solved.

They can both have their own space and responsibility and mum & dad can have their own space & privacy in the CT and the 9' one would do quite nicely.

My littlies had their own tents since they were about 4 years old and loved every minute of it. They are now grown and still come camping with me occasionaly and still use their own tents.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby patty7862 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:29 pm

Ours is a 23 ft but we have the option of having only the trailer section up or one or two awnings up depending on how many are camping with us. I found when enquring to stay anywhere I always ask how big the sites are and if they will fit a large camper trailer so far had no problem with site size although most of our camping is bush camping.
patty7862
Camping King

Postby snake_dr » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:53 pm

id be trying to get them into their own tents like gypsy suggested.

the other thing is that some parks will let you camp on caravan spots, which are usually huge. we just spent easter at kirra tourist park on the van spots and could have put two campers on each site. so we just go to these parks, and if you did want the 14ft you wouldnt have any issues with size.

if you arent planning on any more kids the 9ft should really be enough though, i dont know about you but once we're awake we spend very little time actually in the tent, its basically only for sleeping.

we bought a 9ft a few years ago and ended up with 3 kids and the 9ft isnt really big enough for us, so dont go to small its a lot cheaper to buy the right size from the start.
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby dea » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:00 pm

we have a 2 room camper... husband said its 23 ft long 12 ft wide .. we have 2 sets of bunks.. i HATE them .. they sqeek all night when kids move etc ...but we have no choice with 4 kids.. anyhoo.. my twins are 10 on wednesday.. quess what they are getting a TENT .. their choice lol .. & its big enough for all 4 to fit in together if they want too lol ...

mine fight alot too hence why i think doing the tent thing will be better for the older ones...

good luck
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby dea » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:01 pm

snake_dr wrote:id be trying to get them into their own tents like gypsy suggested.

the other thing is that some parks will let you camp on caravan spots, which are usually huge. we just spent easter at kirra tourist park on the van spots and could have put two campers on each site. so we just go to these parks, and if you did want the 14ft you wouldnt have any issues with size.

if you arent planning on any more kids the 9ft should really be enough though, i dont know about you but once we're awake we spend very little time actually in the tent, its basically only for sleeping.

we bought a 9ft a few years ago and ended up with 3 kids and the 9ft isnt really big enough for us, so dont go to small its a lot cheaper to buy the right size from the start.

great advice
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby Brett A » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:29 pm

We have a 12ft CT and have had no dramas at any of the caravan parks we have stayed at and have always found it helps to book ahead and ask for a larger site to give you some room to spread out

Brett
Brett A
Boy Scout

Postby sassenach.girl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:31 pm

We've stayed recently in a Top Tourist CP at Ballina and the powered sites were big enough for one of the largest CT's I've ever seen. Likewise, we've just booked a powered site at Big4 Fraser Lodge for the May Day long weekend, and the site is 10m x 8m (32.8ft x 26.2ft) ....... very big :)
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby Titch » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:38 pm

Treat me as dumb, how do you size camper Trailers ?
This talk of 12 feet, 9 feet etc means nothing to me.
Please explain to this old fool. :?: :?: :?:
Ta, Titch.
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to Camper Trailers