average size of site for CT

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Re: average size of site for CT

Postby bex66 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:27 pm

Now i am not an expert but it is the size of the tent attached to the trailer that is measured i believe.

Thanks ever so for all of the sound advice it sounds as though it will be ok for me to have a 14ft then and just make sure i book well in advance and get a spot big enough......Now next question Green or blue tent any advice on that front.

thanks again

becky x
bex66
Boy Scout

Postby Brett A » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:44 pm

youre right Bex 66 it is the length of the tent not including the trailer. Mine is a 12ft Ct plus the trailer is 17 ft

Brett
Brett A
Boy Scout

Postby Gab_n_Gee » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:08 pm

In that case, I only have an 8 1/2 footer :(

Gareth
Gab_n_Gee
Boy Scout

Postby Titch » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:53 pm

Gab_n_Gee wrote:In that case, I only have an 8 1/2 footer :(

Gareth

Size does not matter, heard that before? :*** :***
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:45 pm

Definitely green....it is usually a cooler colour and it does make a difference. Have a look at the underside of all the good quality tarps......they are always some form of green for coolness and silver on top to reflect the heat away.

Also read somewhere that blue attract insects, mozzies in particular.

Here is just one website on it....
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_color_at ... mosquitoes
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby bex66 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:11 am

thank you all so much I am now most definately sorted...... 14ft Cavalier Green and khaki camper trailer. Its taken me about 3 months to get there but at least i am sorted thanks to you guys and your invaluable experience. I do hope the rest of the camping community are as friendly and knowledgable as you all have been.

My next quest will be to fill it with some equipment so any tips gratefully received

Bex xxx
bex66
Boy Scout

Postby sienna » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:17 am

Make sure you try putting up both the 9ft and 14 ft. You may find that the 14ft is too hard to actually put up.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:19 pm

Before I bought my hard floor camper I spent a day in the showroom putting CTs up and down so that Kerry Jones (owner of ModCon) could see what I could and could not manage. He was then able to ascertain which gas struts would be suitable for me and my CT as I had to be able to set up and pack up on my own.

sienna's suggestion of trying before you decide is a very good one.

I also have a solo female friend who wanted a lightweight CT due to the size of her tow vehicle...well she got the light weight CT but her CT is PIA to put up and she struggles with it every time.

PLEASE spend some time in the showroom/factory putting the CT or one similar up and down on your own without the assistance of the sales person BEFORE you decide which one you want.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Lets see if I have it right,
I think our CT is classed as 8 and a half feet,

oztrail 7.jpg

As Gypsylady suggested,have a trial at errecting the camper, we got ours after the wife tried it out.
It is going to be used solo by her sometimes.
Titch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby dea » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:12 pm

titch wrote:Lets see if I have it right,
I think our CT is classed as 8 and a half feet,

oztrail 7.jpg

As Gypsylady suggested,have a trial at errecting the camper, we got ours after the wife tried it out.
It is going to be used solo by her sometimes.
Titch

that is same as ours but we have the bigger one .. 12 ft thnk it is ... love it
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby bex66 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:53 pm

hi yes will definately practice putting it up and down..... but to be honest the 9ft will definately be too small for us if not now it will be in a few years as the kids arent getting any smaller.

I doubt very much i will ever camp alone but will for sure ask if i can have a practice

becky x
bex66
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:52 pm

As the kids get bigger becky they will want their OWN TENT so don't let that be a factor in your decision.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby bex66 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:06 am

thats very true I hadnt thought of that..... oh dear perhaps decision not made after all.
bex66
Boy Scout

Postby dea » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:09 am

i think 9ft is small for a family with kids.. thats why we went 12 ft...all a very personal choice tho.... go see them both set up thats what we did ... my older 2.. (twins .. 10) are getting their own tent n wednesday for thier birthday .. our camper i wold love more room still lol ....
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:09 pm

We started off with a 9ft (green canvas) CT with awning which with 3 teenage kids was a tight fit but we only slept in it. Our son would take his 3man tent on longer trips and stay in it away from his sister's.

We have now graduated to 12ft (maroon canvas) CT with awning & annexe(only use annexe for longer trips) and have heaps of room. We got the bigger one not only for more room with the kids now but when they all go we will have heaps of room for a table & chairs in the tent when it's just the two of us touring around in our retirement. :armsup

We havent had any issues with fitting into CP's with either CT. The Big 4 we stayed in at Xmas had huge grassed powered sites and we fitted the new 12ft CT with annexe on with no probs.

I would definately get them to set them both up for you to see size and ease of use. Our first CT tent was only 9ft and was custom made but was harder and took longer to put up than our new 12ft CT tent but the awning on the new one takes longer to erect only because of the spreader bars as the 9ft didn't have any. :lol:
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

PreviousNext

Return to Camper Trailers