Small dome tent recommendation??

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Small dome tent recommendation??

Postby jezzabel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi, I'm after some insightful recommendations for a small strong dome tent. When I say small it needs to fit 2 x king size mattresses for my kids, so at least 160cm x 200cm, probably a 3 person would do it.
It's for my young boys for our camping trips, we got them a Stockman Weekender and whilst these 'backyard' style tents, as I like to think of them, suit some situations they are really way too light weight and just not tough enough to withstand stronger winds and rain.
Any help would be great. Thanks
jezzabel
Boy Scout

Re: Small dome tent recommendation??

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:19 pm

I have 2 smallish DMH tents, one an Omeo2 and the other an Omeo4. I have had both of them for a number of years and I am not even sure you can still buy that model but you can still buy the DMH brand.

I can't recall the specific measurements but the Omeo4 is considered a 4 person tent and my mum uses it every time she comes camping with me.

It is also tall enough for her to stand up in and she can almost put it up on her own so it is simple enough. Have attached some pics of the Omeo4 and I can also say that both these little tents have withstood some pretty serious weather over time.

I also use it on my 'girls only' camps. I use a double size self inflater when I use it.

Another brand with a great reputation is Coleman.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:50 pm

I can highly recommend the Coleman tent. I've used my 4 person Coleman for a few years now and it is great in wet and windy weather. I'm not sure if they have a 3-person model. Mine (forget what the model is called) may be a bit too big and clunky. And after lots of practice it still took me 30 mins to set up. A friend bought a very cool-looking and basic Oztrail one recently. I think it's the 4v Breezeway. Very easy to set up, fairly roomy. I don't think it has been tested in strong rain and wind though, so can't yet comment on that.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:46 am

My son (now 17) has had his little Oztrail 3man tent for about 8 years now and so far so good. He takes it on longer trips and camps in it rather than with his two sisters in our CT. :lol:

He has a king single swag which is a little too long for the tent (he doesn't like his bedding touching the walls when its wet) so he puts it across ways and has room for all his other stuff (ipod, portable dvd, guitar, bag etc) in there as well ::()

This is what it looks like: but his is blue with a silver fly & was pretty cheap to buy.

http://www.oztrail.com.au/dome-tent-range/classic-tent-series/DTC-3P-C.php

It has been through a hell of a lot of punishment and quite a few storms over the past 8 years or so and stayed up and kept everyone dry. His sister's and their friends have also given it a run for it's money using it for backyard campovers!! ::() It has kept them dry and warm also but does tend to get quite hot in the middle of summer, but tarp over the top will fix this. All of the kids can put it up on their own so that is a definate plus.

Had not one issue with it, all the zippers, fly and poles are still in mint condition.

But I would go the next size up to fit both kids in there with their king single mattresses.

Hope this helps
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Gear Guide