Best Camp Shower Options

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Best Camp Shower Options

Postby minimud » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi, we are a family of 4 (2 adults, 1 x 13 yo and 1 x 6 month old) and we are venturing away for a week for some beach camping.

We are looking at what the best camp / portable shower options would be?

Cheers, Wendy
minimud

Re: Best Camp Shower Options

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi Wendy and WELCOME to the forum. Take the time and have a look around here & you’ll find lots of valuable info and see some great pix.

There is a thread on here re showers, see: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=3324&hilit=camp+shower

My personal opinion is for the little 12 volt shower out of a bucket. Warm the water with a billy of hot water and away you go.

Here is a link for you to see the one to which I am referring. http://cgi.ebay.com/12-VOLT-CAMPING-SHO ... 1c11a41a38

You can normally get them from any camping store quite cheap.

I used one similar to this over Easter and there were 7 of us showering with it quite successfully.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:24 pm

Yes i have the little 12 volt that plugs into cigarette lighter and it is great. Mine was $24 at the local camp store where as BCFs were $32.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mytribe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:05 am

I've got the same one as Gypsy, may not get much water pressure but it does the job of freshening you up and making you feel all sparkly and clean. (there's 2 adults and 3 kids using it usually, 17yr old son is too many to shower when camping ::() )
Me,DH and 6 freeloading midgets..plus the furry animals
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:23 pm

If he is anything like our 17 yr old son MT it's a different story than at home where he has showers that are too long and we are banging on the door to get him out of there. :$

Camping he just likes to be Captain Stinky :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby ozoutdoors » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:11 am

Simple option is the old faithful Solar shower. Under 10 bucks will get you a 20L black bag to fill up with water and hang in the sun to warm up.

For 25 Clams you can get the forementioned Shower pump.. quick, easy and very effective.

If you really want luxury, you can look at Hot Water Systems. Starting from about $250 and heat via gas and have a powered pump.

Keep an eye out for the Easter Sales which are still running till Anzac Day!
Check out the latest outdoors website
www.ozoutdoors.ws
ozoutdoors
Boy Scout

Postby itchyvet » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:52 pm

This topic really deserves a posting of it's own, it is so diverse, and new options come out everyday.
Also, a factor that MUST be factored into the equation is water availability, as well as numbers intending to use the shower.
You can start out with the simplest form, the humble solar shower, black plastic bag left in the sun.
These usually are sufficient for ONE person per bag and iregular trips. One warning though with them, be careful how long you leave them in the sun, they do get incredibly HOT !
The second serves groups and relies on a fire, this is a 20 litre metal drum,(some come galvanised) with a system of piping within that allows seperation of hot and incoming cold water.
The idea with these units is tofill with cold water and place alongside your fire to heat up, when hot water is required, you simply place a METAL (recommended) bucket underneath the outlet and pour in COLD water into the inlet.
The incoming cold water pushes the hot to the top of the container and out the outlet. This water then can be used for any purpose incuding showering. Dilute it to desired temp, drop in your 12 volt pump and shower away. This sytem is very good for large groups and ensure hot water available at all times as long as there's a fire going.
The third option, is to purchase a purpose built hot water on demand system. The majority of these are powered by a 12 volt source and use LPG for the heating element, though there is a diesel powered version available at great cost.
The easiest and most popular would be the COLEMAN, though IMHO the hot water from this would not be hot enough for drinks as theyadvertise.
There is a similar unit manufactured by PRIMUS that works similarly.
Then lastly, there is the option of manufacturing or modifying a unit used for homes to your purpose of camping. These units can be purchased quiet cheaply on Ebay and with a little ingenuity and modification, make excellent camping units for anything from a small group to unlimited numbers with hot water available simply by turning on the tap.
034.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide