Tell me about your camping bed!

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Tell me about your camping bed!

Postby Tassie_girl » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:09 pm

I'm looking for advice on the type of mattress and bedding others use for camping.

I have previously used inflatable mattresses for short camping trips, but with my experiences of waking up on a half deflated mattress or being bounced off by my partner i am looking for something a bit more comfortable for the year long camping trip we are planning.

We are planning on sleeping mostly in our tent - an Oztent RV3 - but probable sometimes in the back of our Troopy so the bedding needs to suit both these situations.

I've been doing a bit of research on foam core self-inflating mattresses, but at only 10cm thick am unsure of comfort levels.

Any advice, descriptions, reviews would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers :grin:
Tassie_girl

Mattresses

Postby gqpatrol » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:24 pm

Hi, we have had for over 5 years two self inflating "4wd mats". I reckon they would be about 10cm thick. They are high density foam, so offer a fair amount of support. They are very comfy. I would never sleep on an air bed again. The only down side is that they are quite bulky, but we figure it's worth it for a good night's sleep. Hint - go to a camping shop and lie down on a few, it's the only way!! ::()
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Re: Mattresses

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:41 pm

gqpatrol wrote:Hint - go to a camping shop and lie down on a few, it's the
only way!! ::()

x2

I use a thick foam mattress combined with a thin one (~ 10cm/4cm). Sleeping on the ground with this setup is quite comfortable. But I also have a home made luggage rack that goes on top of my car, which is a bit 'springy'. So if i'm on a long trip I have the rack on, and I sleep on top. Makes it almost as comfy as home base :cheers .

If your touring around Oz chances are you'll be using a luggage rack, might be a option for you'se to look into :idea: . And if your worried about rolling off it's easy enough to get a welder/fabricator to put some short sides, would make it great for tying stuff on too.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Mattress

Postby Tassie_girl » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:58 pm

Thanks for the advice so far!

I'll have to look up a few camping stores and go and lie on their beds! :grin:
Tassie_girl

Postby elpaulos » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:43 am

Fold out beds that wrap up into a double pool cue size bag is xlent. Don't forget the pillow and decent sleep bag. Also it's best to check out your sleep gear a few days in advance. And keep the other half at home!! :# NO BOMB DIVES ON THE BEDDING!!!!!! :x
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby Tassie_girl » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:23 pm

I took the advice I've been given... I went to the biggest camping store in town and laid down! I tested air mattresses and several self inflating foam mats.

We've decided to go with the Coleman self inflating mat with optional pillow. 10cm thick seems enough on hard shop floor, and with foam clip together matting under it in the tent should give us a good nights sleep.

I'm looking forward now to our New Year's trial camping trip to test out our gear!
Tassie_girl

Postby Scolers » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:06 pm

... pffft .. shoulda got a futon matress (just found that out) ... apparently they make themm to suit camper trailers now.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Tassie_girl » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:37 pm

A futon mattress? What r the benefits?
Tassie_girl

Postby Scolers » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:54 pm

Cost is cheaper than most other mattresses and I beleive they are VERY comfortable. Don't forget I'm talking about custom made one's and not off the shelf. I thnk even heavy duty foam mattresses are at least the same price as a futon mattress.

Cheers ...

Scol.

EDIT: I should have said I'm talking about mattresses for camper trialers ... 8)
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Tassie_girl » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:03 pm

I got the feeling you may have been taking about a mattress for another purpose (camper trailer). I was looking for a mattress that could be rolled up for storage and would be compact.
Tassie_girl

camp bed

Postby plustips » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:39 pm

Hi

We brought individual camp stretchers and I made our mattresses by getting some large offcuts of foam rubber, trimming to size and using an old doona cover cut in half to make covers. They are also wider than single bought mattress so they cover the sides of the stretcher. They are very comfortable and roll up easy. The covers also come off for washing. We tried out double and queen mattresses but found that they are okay for one but not for two. Hope this helps.

plustips
plustips

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:28 pm

Scolers futons sound good but you need to put them out in the sun to puff them up, otherwise they get really hard. I tried out a friends mattress (obviously while they weren't in it) in their CT and they had one of those bumpy underlay thingys - so comfy! It was amazing, pricey but I think it is well worth it.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Return to Gear Guide