Embarking on 'The Lap' of OZ

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Embarking on 'The Lap' of OZ

Postby Tassie_girl » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:35 pm

Hi there

My partner and I are 20 some-things and we have decided to take the plunge and spend 12 months (or more!) exploring Australia beginning in Tasmania in February 2007.

We are very excited, but getting organised to live on the road is a very daunting task!!

We've bought a Toyota Troop Carrier to travel in and a large tent so we've got transport and accomodation sorted, but there is lots still to do - cooking, bedding, fridge/cooler options, storage... the list goes on.

We'll catch the boat over to VIC and then turn left - probably begin with the Great Ocean Road then who knows. We're planning in working when we need to, and seeing as much as we can.

Looking forward to learning from more seasoned campers!
Tassie_girl

Postby Scolers » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:18 pm

Welcome to the site Tassie Girl!

Maybe start a new thread when you begin your trip and post uppics and trip reports if you have the time,

Cheers!

Scol.

:?#
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:36 pm

Go the troopie :armsup

and welcome :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Nenie23 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:23 pm

Would be really interested to hear all bout your travels Tassie Girl as in 2 years, we will be doing the same with our 2 children.

Dont stress bout it - do it now while you have the time, guts and determination. I beleive you have to live every day to the fullest.

I hate people with a negative attitude bout life.

If I wake up in the morning and I am not dead - it is going to be a good day. I truly think do all the things you want to do now, when we have the chance, as my father worked his but off so he could retire with a heap of money behind him, then died of cancer 5 days after his 63rd birthday and never got to enjoy a bloody cent of it.

Go and do it now Tassie Girl - dont wait till you are dead.

Nene
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby Kramer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:42 am

Nenie23 wrote:Go and do it now Tassie Girl - dont wait till you are dead.

Woot new sig line for me thats a classic! :armsup
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Kramer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:47 am

Oh and welcome to the site Tassie Girl I will make sure I keep quiet with the tassie jokes :--?
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:11 am

Based on your comment in the mattress thread about possibly sleeping in the Troopy at times, the 1st thing I'd recommend is to work out how you're going to accomodate that with all your gear and a fridge (yes, you want a fridge! which means a 2nd battery too most likely). You need to be able to put it somewhere to lay the matress(s) out. I'd contemplate installing a 'false floor' where the majority of your gear is stored under a floor that you can sleep on. The fridge would need to be located at the rear door along with some drawers (for cooking stuff, recovery gear). At the front end, have lift up sections to be able to get at the storage there. The rear of a Troopy is quite tall so I reckon you might get away with having the floor at the height needed to clear the fridge. Alternatively, have the false floor stop with enough room to put the fridge at the end and you'd just have to crawl around it to get in. That might depend on how long the area is and how tall you guys are.

You really have to weight up how likely you're going to need to sleep in the car before implementing something like this, however having all your gear packed away neatly would be good in the long run considering how long you're going to be on the road for.

Think about what your going to need each time you set up camp (tent, cooking, etc) and set it up so that can be done with a minimum of fuss. If you move frequently this would be a high priority, if you move once every few weeks then it's probably less of a problem.

Had a brother-in-law who had a Troopy which we used to go away fishing in. There is lots of room but you need to be smart in utilising it otherwise it will drive you mad! (since we were just going for the weekend everything just got chucked in but we didn't take much anyway... no hair dryers! :grin: ) I've seen pictures of Troopies with rear access doors added to make the space much more accessable, but things like that are going to be expensive.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Tassie_girl » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:15 pm

Great to hear from you all.

Thanks for the detailed post HGMonaro!

We've started really thinking about storage and organisation the in the past week as we're starting to buy things for our camping 'kit' - table, fridge (of course we planned on a fridge - and the dual battery system is already fitted!), chairs, bedding etc.

The Troopy already has a draw system installed in the rear so we have some storage sorted, and we're planning on getting large plastic tubs to store most of our other gear for cooking, living etc. I think this will help having gear organised in tubs so we know where to find things, and where to put them away when we move on!

We're planning on sleeping in the tent most of the time, but it would be nice to have the flexibility of the rear fit out allowing us to sleep in the back if we want to.

Keep the advice coming! Much appreciated!
Tassie_girl

Return to Introductions: