WARNING to 4WD Owners

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

WARNING to 4WD Owners

Postby Rosco532 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:48 am

Hi guys,,,,Can you imagine the shock I got when I came out of work and found this ????
The tyre repairman said its not uncommon for this to happen on 4WD's as the top point of the tyre is exposed to more heat than the rest of the tyre (even with a tyre cover on)...this creates a soft/weak point...and they 'BLOW'. ..It doesn't happen on your tyres on the vehicle because they are rotating all the time.....Seems We are supposed to 'rotate' our spare from time to time as well.....Who would have thought to do that ????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: WARNING to 4WD Owners

Postby Titch » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Looks like an Old Tyre to me Roscoe, How old would it be.
Would have given you a fright.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CampGrrlz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Rosco532 wrote:Seems We are supposed to 'rotate' our spare from time to time as well.....Who would have thought to do that ????

Rosco, rotating of tyres including the spare was always the practice until recently. I don't know what changed, possibly the vastly increased number of front-wheel drives making the tyre guys a bit toey about including a new tyre in the system when all the others were worn a bit. Just a guess here but I have had some firm talks with tyre people to get them to include the spare - something they were reluctant to do. It is not safe to leave a tyre for several years not being used. The rubber compound gets brittle and as soon as it gets on the road it is subject to heat and bingo! thar she blows. This situation must be exacerbated by the current custom of leaving the tyres exposed (even in a cover) outside of the vehicle.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Rosco532 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:30 pm

LoL...Titch, I would have got a bigger surprise if I had come out of work and found a full on bomb scare going on....I work as a Security Guard at the International Airport....I'm assuming there would have been a big bang when it blew.....
And no, it wasn't a very old tyre as I had only put it on the back 3---4 months ago when I bought new tyres that were better suited for the sand....it was the pic of the tyres so I said I will use that as a spare.

Here is the tyre from another side which shows that there was heaps of tread
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby neilg » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:21 am

How about some name and shame.....what brand of tyre was it?
neilg

Postby Rosco532 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:39 am

Hi Neilg,,,, It 'was' a Bridgestone,,,BUT...I'm not sure I can blame the quality of the tyre...
From what I've been told its more of 'MY' fault for not rotating the tyres....
The reason I'm showing these pics is not to rubbish Bridgestones but more to high-light the need to rotate tyres 'encluding' the spare....If this had happened miles from town or out in the dessert where its not uncommon to pick up a flat....and this was my spare.....ha....long way to walk home....
I only mention its a Bridgestone' in case theres a pattern here.
(Of coarse,, some of the blame has to be put on the extreme Queensland summers as well.)

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Roscoe,
On the side of the tyre,you will have a small stamp, eg. 18.99
Means eighteenth week of the year 99, if you have the tyre still, you can look and check, how old your tyres are.
Tyres fall apart as they get older, no matter how they look.
Dry out is a way to describe it.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby bockstar » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:51 am

Cripes!
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I'll be getting 5 new ones in the next 6 weeks. The plan will be to do a complete rotation every 10K. I should get a bit of extra wear out of them.

Ta.
Challenge C/T - Offroad, Softfloor camper
Tool box, Water Tank, Gas Bottle, Kitchen on tailgate, 10Ft Tent
bockstar
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco532 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:11 am

Hardcase...I looked at the date on the other tires just as an interest and learned that my 'Bridgestones' are made in 'Thailand'.....be 'buggered'...Is nothing made in Australia any-more ...
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:51 pm

I had a 'spare' tyre shed on me in a similar way a few months ago....it had always been the spare and I put it on the vehicle as it had better tread.

Thanks Rosco, your pix solves my mystery.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi GP.....Are you saying yours was actually on the car when it shred ???...that would have been worse than stored on the back....
Good lesson for us all....ay !!!
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Rosco532 wrote:Hi GP.....Are you saying yours was actually on the car when it shred ???...that would have been worse than stored on the back....
Good lesson for us all....ay !!!

Yes Rosco, it was.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Redback » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:50 am

That's not good mate, the worst part is the wallet gets a pounding when stuff like this happens, I always do a full rotate on my 4WD that includes the spare, so something like that shouldn't happen to me hopefuly.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:02 am

Redback wrote: I always do a full rotate on my 4WD that includes the spare, so something like that shouldn't happen to me hopefuly.

Baz.

That's exactly what I did Baz....and still managed a blow out with the 'spare'.

From memory the tyre was about 6 years old but also not one of the better brands of tyre unfortunately.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Redback » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:56 am

gypsylady wrote:
Redback wrote: I always do a full rotate on my 4WD that includes the spare, so something like that shouldn't happen to me hopefuly.

Baz.

That's exactly what I did Baz....and still managed a blow out with the 'spare'.

From memory the tyre was about 6 years old but also not one of the better brands of tyre unfortunately.

I'm lucky if I get 2yrs from a set of tyres, last lot of tyres were done in 15mths, we do a lot of Ks on rough roads and it takes it's toll on tyres, our 4B is also our daily driver, touch wood no blow outs so far.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat