Camping with other parents and kids

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with children and babies.

Camping with other parents and kids

Postby Lin » Mon May 03, 2010 2:07 pm

Usually when we go camping, my daughter's the only child in our group. She copes with it very well and is never bored. And the friends we camp with love her and are really good with her. But the one time we camped with people with older kids and made friends with a family with similarly aged kids, she had such a ball.

So I'm planning for some new fellow campers next season. I offered to take the 6yo girl from across the road on our next camping trip. My 5yo daughter gets on very well with her. And the girl is being raised by her grandparents due to her mother being an unfit parent and it will be nice to give them a break and give the girl some happy camping memories. Not to mention me not having to entertain my daughter all the time! The girl's a bit cheeky at home, but I've had her over for playdates and she was always well-behaved at ours.

And I'm about to ask the mother of one of my daughter's friends if she will come camping with us one weekend. Because the girl has a younger sibling, I'll also ask another friend with a younger child.

I am so looking forward to camping with other parents and kids. Though I do hope that my usual camping buddies won't be put off by the "family vibe" and still come too.

I'll have to put an extra tent in the car so the kids can sleep together. That will be interesting!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Camping with other parents and kids

Postby GypsyLady » Mon May 03, 2010 2:10 pm

Set the rules first up and I am sure it will all go well for you Lin.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:28 pm

I agree with Gypsy. If they know the rules they will be right.

The family we camp with always take their nephew (14) and he is a delight. We have also taken one of our sons friends and it's been ok.

Let us know how it goes Lin
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Mon May 03, 2010 2:40 pm

I think we only have 3 basic rules for the kids when camping:
- don't run or play near the campfire
- pick up your own rubbish
- don't leave the esky open.

And the kids collect the kindling.

And I think that's about it!

With children other than mine I may have to add a rule about not wandering off or getting in the water without telling an adult or some such.

But other than that, they can run wild! :***
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:43 pm

We have those same rules but........

We have another VERY IMPORTANT rule and that is set up and sit in YOUR chair ONLY!!!!!

I hate having to kick someone out of my chair to sit down and we have labelled the girls chairs with their names so there is not fighting over whose is whose!!

Also always zip up the tent!!!! Mozzies!!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Mon May 03, 2010 2:46 pm

"Also always zip up the tent!!!! Mozzies!!!!"

Fortunately we often go to places where there aren't many mozzies. And because my dog is autistic (honestly, she is! :roll:), I often leave the tent open so she can lie in it while we sit by the fire at night.

I don't mind my daugther sitting in my chair, but if she doesn't move out fast enough when I approach, I'll go sit on top of her. :***
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon May 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Don't play with or near the fire was always one of my rules.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Mon May 03, 2010 5:20 pm

We dont have that many rules that are differant to home ie; ask before you go somewhere etc.

Camping rules are pretty easy, you have to remember we bush camp so facilities are always basic :grin:

Clean undies everyday, they can wear the same cloths for a week for all I care but undies must be fresh. ::()

Brush teeth and use BO everyday. :?#

No running on hard surfaces like dirt roads etc.

They know about the campfire so all is good but when we have kids who are not used to camop fires I draw a circle around the fire, no kids inside that circle. If your on grass use baby powder, it marks well
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Mon May 03, 2010 6:09 pm

My daughter runs around naked most of the time we're camping. :lol: Sometimes I manage to get her to put clothes on at night because I refuse to waste all my mozzie repellent to spray her whole body.

And she usually draws the circle around the campfire these days. I do have to still often tell her to keep the fire poking stick over the fire at all times and pointing down!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Pauly » Mon May 03, 2010 8:10 pm

Fire poking sticks are the bain of camping, all kids love them but getting them to understand how dangerous they are is nuts.

Something my girls and many others love is glow sticks, buy them for like $6 for 50 of them, let em make anklets, bracelets necklaces and they love it.

Ps Lin we went on a trip with another forum based group just recently, heres one of the many chimney fires we had, just cause im evil :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Mon May 03, 2010 8:42 pm

"Fire poking sticks are the bain of camping, all kids love them but getting them to understand how dangerous they are is nuts."

And there of course lies the advantage of only taking one child camping! I have the luxury of watching her like a hawk when it's needed.

I can't really work out what the photo is? :o What do you mean by chimney fire?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mytribe » Mon May 03, 2010 10:10 pm

My kids love fire poking sticks ::()
Me,DH and 6 freeloading midgets..plus the furry animals
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Pauly » Tue May 04, 2010 12:06 am

Chimney fire is a hollow log that you stand on end and burn.

Heres a pic of the first chimney we lit for the weekend, I didnt take the pic but I did start it :grin:

And if I told you we started that log with 2 pages of newspaper and a handful of twigs, no fuel and 1 match, would you believe it :grin:

We had about 5 of these chimneys of various shapes over the weekend.

Ps I hate rocks around fires, these were removed not long after this pic :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Tue May 04, 2010 10:47 am

Very impressive, Pauly.

I don't like campfires without rocks. Apart from the safety aspect, they just look better, I find. :)

"My kids love fire poking sticks"

I reckon it's one of those things that I'd rather try and teach my daughter now she still somewhat values my wisdom. :lol: I allow her to poke the fire so I can teach her what's safe and what's not. She is also allowed to use sharp knives and I'm trying to get her to boil water for my coffee on the camping stove in the morning! (I obviously wouldn't let her get the pot with boiling water off the stove just yet!)

A friend of mine went camping with her 20yo son the other day and when I reminded her to take an axe to chop the wood, she said she'd never trust him with an axe. ::() I hope my daughter will be an excellent wood chopper, fire maker, camp cook, etc. by the time she's 14!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Pauly » Tue May 04, 2010 12:54 pm

hmmm 20 and no axe.

Mate to be honest rocks around the fire are not a safety factor they are a hazzard, they are a pretty big trip hazzard but the worst thing is they can and do explode. Ive seen then spit shards off and also pop.

I know plenty do it but not many know the risks. I asked the guys we were camping with why they did it and most said they didnt really know or it looked good. Most seen my points when another there was from the RFS and echoed them. As I was tossing these rocks away several shattered.
I would hate myself if a rock exploded or a hot shard hit my girls and the first thing I do before lighting a fire is shift the rocks.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Next

Return to Camping with Kids