Camping close to Sydney

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping close to Sydney

Postby Stilly » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:31 pm

Does anyone know of any good campsites within 2 hours drive of Sydney?
Stilly

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:09 pm

There's literally thousands that match that basic desription, I mean, you can camp anywhere really.... just depends on what you want. What sort of activities do you want to do? Are you travelling with kids? Motorbikes? Four-Wheel-Drive? Pets? Do you need/want ammenities? Do you want free places (State forests, some national parks) or privately run, camp/caravan parks??Near water? Bushwalks? Sites to see??

I am sure there are probably hundreds of places, but it would be useless just rattling them all off until we know what exactly you're looking for.

But thanks for posting and welcome to the board :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Stilly » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:21 pm

Looking for camp spots close to water either lake, river or sea. Need showers and if you know of any spots close to boat ramps please pass them on.
Stilly

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:54 pm

Ok, can only think of 2 places, colo river, and mungo brush. Colo river is pretty close to sydney, actually technically IN sydney i think, there is a park there right on the river, just as you go over the bridge on your right hand side, you can swim its pretty nice, but cold unless its summer. They have showers and toilets and even a pool. I think its about $10-$15 for adults, not sure, could be less/more, its been a while since I was there.

Mungo Brush is a bit more of a hike, 3hrs drive, just above nelson bay, there are severall camp grounds there, some are on, or with a hundred metres or so of the beach, and some are on the lakes. Most are NP's and are about $5-$10 per night, but these have no showers. But the lakes freshwater and pretty darn clean so u can wash in there, just dont use soap, its bad for it. Or you could just buy a cheap portable shower, plugs into 12v car socket, only about $15-$20 i think. Around mungo there are a few very nice walks, and if you get onto the beach reasonably early (6-9am) theres a good chance you will see dolphins. We did last year, about 10 of em, was great, then we also saw some in the bay at town while fishing. Also, if you have a 4x4, you can take it onto certain parts of the beach, just dont forget to air down your tyres, and stick to the tracks :wink:

hope this helps
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Azuriel » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:20 pm

i'd recommend the campsite at wattamolla beach ... if anyone's wondering, it's long the bundeena -> otford walk ... facilities there are decent, with showers, gas BBQs, and a tuckshop that's 'usually' open ...

access is either via bundeena by car, or if on foot, take the ferry from cronulla, and wander down the walking track (about a 1.5hr walk from the ferry wharf)

campsites cost about $3/tent/nite, and need to booked in advance from the NPWS office on george st in the rocks (sort-of across the road from the intersection of george st & argyle st) ...

as a sidenote, this campsite is oe of my fav around sydney, and one i usually visit once or twice every year, when i'm in sydney ...
Azuriel
Boy Scout

Return to Camping Tips and Locations