WARNING to 4WD Owners

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: WARNING to 4WD Owners

Postby Rosco532 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:17 pm

Redback,,,,Assuming you start with '5' brand new tyres....at rotation time ''1'' of the 4 tyres on the vehicle will be 'promoted' to the spare.....This now means we are running '3' partly worn tyres and '1' new tyre......isn't this going to effect the handling of your vehicle ????
...Maybe it could be one of the reasons rotating is not as common as it used to be....

Apparently, using 'Steel-belt' tyres is also a problem as if the tyre had come off the ,,,say,,,back left hand side, then the tyre would have been turning in one direction.....by rotating that same tyre to the front r/h side....then the tyre would be turning in the reverse direction....a practice not recommended with steelbelts.

cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun May 09, 2010 8:48 pm

This might sound like a silly question/observation...

When they said rotation was a problem does it mean that the tyre needs to be turned, rather than moved to a different location on the vehicle? I get the idea of rotating tyre and I agree - it is a good thing. I have 2 spares, 1 on the back door like yours, the other mainly in the shed, but on the roof basket when we travel remotely. Both of my spares are oldies that have been rotated out of use from the main 4 'on road' tyres.

The point of my question is should the spare on the back have it's position changed from time to time to prevent sun damage to a particular spot on the tyre?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun May 09, 2010 9:08 pm

Rosco532 wrote:Redback,,,,Assuming you start with '5' brand new tyres....at rotation time ''1'' of the 4 tyres on the vehicle will be 'promoted' to the spare.....This now means we are running '3' partly worn tyres and '1' new tyre......isn't this going to effect the handling of your vehicle ????
...Maybe it could be one of the reasons rotating is not as common as it used to be....

cheers

On a RWD car, the rears will wear out quicker anyway (could be the opposite on FWD, never owned one long enough to find out?). So when you rotate, unless your doing front to back rotation only, there's going to be a slight tread difference from side to side. And at the end of the day I'd rather a mm or two of tread difference than to have to use a spare that's been sitting on the back of the car since new and never been used.

I've rotated my current set twice now, both times at a different tyre joint, neither had a problem incorporating the spare or even mentioned it. I just get them to move each tyre clockwise around the car.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Rosco532 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:09 pm

To answer Kev first....This was my problem in the 1st place....I was guilty of leaving the tire on the back....and forgetting it.....YES....If I had rotated it...even on the back of the Patrol it would have lessoned the chance of this happening (keeping in mind...I had an expensive, good quality tire cover on it.....something I would have thought would have been an 'all weather' protector...obviously not !!!)....

Tire rotation used to be Front to rear x crossed.....i.e...your front right became your left rear....
The problem now is because most tires are steel belts...they don't like having their 'directions' changed......picture this......on the front right its going in a forward motion.....by changing it to the left rear....the tire now is going in a backward direction from when it was on the front.....this apparently affects the steel belt inside the tire.......The only way of correcting this is by turning over the tire on the rim....

One more worry about this is....call into any tire service centre and ask how often this happens......Quite often, you will be told.

WHEW....might need a beer after that so I can work out what I meant....lol... :beer

Cheers

Rosco
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Tue May 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Fair enough!

I might swap spare 1 for spare 2 on the weekend, or even pull spare 1 off the back and turn it upside down. might prevent all of the air getting out if I'm lucky.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby itchyvet » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:21 am

Umm, listen up 4WD's, your tyres are supposed to be ROTATED AND BALANCED every ten thousand K's.
It is beneficial to include your spare in the rotation to ensure you get the maximum mileage from your set of tyres.
Check out the Coopers web site, has all the info you need on tyres.
The tyre in the picture, does look old, and I'd say too, the steel belt looks rusted as well which could be the source of the failure, as rubber around the rust collapses from the acids in the rust.
In actual fact, I've seen near new tyres doing the same thing, when left on cars standing for long periods in garages, take em for a drive after a period of long standing and BANG.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat