Sleeping in

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with children and babies.

Sleeping in

Postby capella_ben » Sat May 08, 2010 9:57 am

Does anyone have any tips on how to get young kids (3, 5, 7) to sleep in? One of the disadvantages to going camping is that you are always up at the crack of dawn.

Thanks

Ben
capella_ben
Captain Camping

Re: Sleeping in

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat May 08, 2010 10:28 am

LOl don`t worry i have the same prob with my dogs,they here some one up and they want to get up too..lol seriously hope some one with real kids gets back to you.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mytribe » Sat May 08, 2010 10:56 am

Ahhhh no :lol: camping is the one time I'm guaranteed not to get a sleep in.
Me,DH and 6 freeloading midgets..plus the furry animals
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat May 08, 2010 11:06 am

I am with the kids....why sleep in and miss out on more camping fun.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Serenity Now » Sat May 08, 2010 1:48 pm

I can really hear you on this one.
My boys are always up at the crack of Dawn.
A sleep in would be nice but unlikely.
I have not found much that works.

In summer i dont mind but i find winter a bit of a pain as i dont want to get up as early and they are rearing to go.

my youngest one is very loud so to be in a confined space with him can be .......well to be polite annoying.
I would love some tips too please.
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby dea » Sat May 08, 2010 2:32 pm

my kids will get to about 7... lol .. my son likes to be up early...but our camper is dark & sometimes we can get too 8 lol ...but they also go to bed early when we camping cause we are always so full on etc ...
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby Lin » Sat May 08, 2010 7:01 pm

I personally love getting up at the crack of dawn when I'm camping, especially when I have a nice view towards the east!

But I am lucky. My 5yo is a VERY good sleeper and will sleep in if she's kept up late, which usually happens when we're camping. I usually get up before her.

And from what I gather, it's something genetic because most parents I know are not that lucky and their kids will get up at the same time every morning regardless of when they went to bed.

Sorry, no advice. Another couple of years and you may be able to at least get them to let you sleep in while they entertain themselves for a bit.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kbel » Sat May 08, 2010 8:00 pm

My hubby and I are sleep-inners and we had three 'crack of dawn'-ers. :lol:

Basically, no way to get them to sleep in, BUT;

a) quiet activities until 7am. (Box of books, colouring gear etc for early morning quietness)

b) Get as many tupperware bowls as you have kids. The night before, cereal gets put in the bowl and sealed. In the morning the oldest can pour the milk over the cereal and voila - kids fed with no effort. This usually happens around 7. Of course we're pretty much awake by then (small tent lol) but they sit outside under the tarp with their cereal and books etc.

c) At 8am mum and dad are human and may be approached for something less than blood and/or mayhem reasons.

Cheers!

Kirri
If a man speaks in the middle of the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Kbel
Camping King

Postby sienna » Sun May 09, 2010 11:18 am

I'm lucky. My almost 4yo sleeps in and always has. Some mornings he's late for kindy cos he didn't wake up til 9.20am. ::()
Anyway, when camping he is usually a good sleeper too. But just in case, I take a portable dvd player which he can watch if he's up early or needs a rest in the arvo. I know it's camping but for the sake of a few minutes peace, I see no harm.
I also get him to pack a small bag full of toys before we go.
I like the breakfast idea.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby gmhemi » Mon May 10, 2010 8:18 am

I have the other problem...I wish my kids wouldn't sleep in so much. They would stay on bed asleep until 10 am with the tent shut and the full heat of the day inside the tent missing out on all the morning fun. Then they would mone and winge when you open the camper or try to wake them.
gmhemi
Camping King

Postby Rosco532 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:02 am

Avis & I normally sleep in to about 6-30.....We get up every morning at 4am at home so the body clock just won't turn off....even when we are camping.
Its normally 'MY' job to do the dishes when camping so I leave the nite ones till the morning so that I've got something to do till the others are ready to rise.
BEST time of the day is just after 6am.....sky's blue and everything looks chrystal clear,,,birds are singing ,rivers even look clearer.....So peaceful....
Plus Bailie (dog) is normally ready to go & do her business by about then....so no-one around.

Maybe the ones who want the young ones to sleep in could threaten them with being on dishes...lol
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby toucan » Mon May 10, 2010 12:23 pm

My 4 kids are usually up by 7am. They always have been 'early to bed and early to rise'.
If they wake any earlier they help themselves to breakfast cereal. Or they quietly lay in their bunks playing DS or watching a DVD (they are not allowed, and do not want, to have these during the day).
After 7am we are all up.

The only tip i have is to make the tent as dark as possible and hope they sleep in!
toucan
Camping King

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Our kids have never been ones to sleep in and camping is no different.

Portable DVD or DS is one way they can stay in their swags nice & warm till it's time to get up but back when mine were younger we didn't have any of that stuff so we were just up early and that was that!! :lol:

I am usually the first awake in our camp anyway so it never worried me but they are teenagers now and the girls are still early risers (not so their 17yo brother!!!) so they just sit near the fire with me having a cuppa like they did when they were little. I would make hot chocolates for them and tea for me and they would sit quietly watch the fire and relish the quiet!!! :lol: Now they make ME a cuppa when they make theirs so it's even better now. :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Mon May 10, 2010 9:28 pm

We sometimes take the DS for in the car, but as I get up before my daughter I don't allow it any other time. If she'd wake up early, I would allow it for that morning quiet time though! So just wanted to say, for your 3yo who would be too young for a DS, I can highly recommend a Leapster. They're easy to use for kids who cannot read yet and they're way more educational than most DS games.

And Xmasbaby, your camping mornings sound lovely! I hope my daughter will enjoy sitting quietly by the fire with me when she's that age too!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby capella_ben » Mon May 10, 2010 10:07 pm

:+

Thanks everyone for some great ideas. At least with winter coming we can keep the tent nice and dark. Good idea in getting the cereal ready as they usually wake up because they are hungry.

Big kids have been petering for a DS. May have to cave in soon. I have finally found some puzzle books for them in the car so maybe they can use them in the morning.

But getting up early is not that bad as it's a great time of the day!

Ben
capella_ben
Captain Camping

Next

Return to Camping with Kids