VIC - Golden Beach

VIC - Golden Beach

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:05 pm

Camped here many times over the years.
Great spot on the 90mile beach and about 2.5hrs from Melbourne.
The sites are great, mostly heavily treed by tee-trees so lots of shade in the summer and blocked from the wind in winter.
The sites sit behind the sand dunes.
There are drop pit toilets, fires are permitted, I think animals are permitted and wood collection is permitted (although for a small price a local along the main road b/w Golden Beach & Seaspray sells fire wood - usually $20 for a load - wagon).
The sites are very sandy though and over the years of camp fires have turned it quite black in some spots, so prepare to get dirty.
The local General Store has showers for $2 if you wish and not far in the kids park are flushing toilets.
There are many grounds (all numbered from 1 to around 20) that all contain sites (some have more than others) and you do need to drive into them to see most, but each site is usually pretty separate.
Check it out if you haven't already!
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby jfamily » Fri May 11, 2007 3:31 pm

Great, good to hear. I'm hoping to go there over Queens B'day weekend, but my hubby is scared of the Antartic wind (hope he doesn't read this) and wants to go back to Barmah instead... I couldn't find any pics on the net of the campsites, so was going to take our luck... the Gippsland Info Cntr says it won't be busy over that weekend, plenty of sites, so that's handy to know, would be a pity to drive all the way and it's full... I'll let you know where we end up camping!
jfamily

Postby Komodo » Fri May 11, 2007 4:57 pm

Thanks Clackerz.

Been trying to get my sister and my brother in law to come camping for a while - he's keen to head up that way so this might be a goes for us!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby clackerz » Mon May 14, 2007 2:04 pm

jfamily wrote:Great, good to hear. I'm hoping to go there over Queens B'day weekend, but my hubby is scared of the Antartic wind (hope he doesn't read this) and wants to go back to Barmah instead... I couldn't find any pics on the net of the campsites, so was going to take our luck... the Gippsland Info Cntr says it won't be busy over that weekend, plenty of sites, so that's handy to know, would be a pity to drive all the way and it's full... I'll let you know where we end up camping!

It should be OK for sites - the OZ Day w/end is usually a no-goer, they have fishing comps on that w/end and is always full - we were lucky on year to find a spot!
Yes the wind can be bad - but usually only on the beach. Most sites sit behind the big sand dunes and then you're also protected by the tee-trees
It's a great spot......
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Mon May 14, 2007 2:06 pm

Komodo wrote:Thanks Clackerz.

Been trying to get my sister and my brother in law to come camping for a while - he's keen to head up that way so this might be a goes for us!

Hope it all works out! It's a spot that is very secluded - but having said that the local store has showers and seaspray is not far, so civilisation is not far as well!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Re: VIC - Golden Beach

Postby Lost Man » Tue May 11, 2010 3:10 pm

It's a great spot! epecially if you have some surf rods.
Lost Man
Camping King

Postby Rosco532 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Any of you Campers got a pic of one of these ''Tee trees' ???...We had one in NZ that we called a Tea tree...otherwise know as Manuka.....We could use the leaves to boil a 'cup of tea'...Wondered if it was the same or similar tree.
I looked on the net but could only find a reference to tea tree oil......

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Tue May 11, 2010 4:38 pm

I love Golden Beach, nice protected sites.
We camp down there in winter, cant remember the wind being a problem.
Surf fishing.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lost Man » Thu May 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Rosco532 wrote:Any of you Campers got a pic of one of these ''Tee trees' ???...We had one in NZ that we called a Tea tree...otherwise know as Manuka.....We could use the leaves to boil a 'cup of tea'...Wondered if it was the same or similar tree.
I looked on the net but could only find a reference to tea tree oil......

Cheers

They are very similar to your Manuka trees. The only people that made tea from it where the early settlers. You know what the poms are like with their tea, they must missed their Earl Grey and boiled the closest thing to them.
Lost Man
Camping King

Postby JoM » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:43 am

Can you make bookings for sites? Or is it a case of first come first served?
JoM

Postby Bradd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:21 pm

We stayed in September 2009 for 9 days

First come first served

DO bring plenty of mosquito repellant / mozzie coils ... don't say I didn't warn you :-bang
Beach is beautiful , But sites are pretty average as far as looks go
Pets allowed sites number 1 - 6 and at Paradise Beach

Did I mention do bring plenty of mozzie repellant ?
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Bradd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:25 pm

Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Return to Victoria