Am i carrying too much HELP PLEASE!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Am i carrying too much HELP PLEASE!

Postby Fletcher » Wed May 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi everyone,
Im not sure if im posting this in the right place(sorry if i havent).

In about one months time i am going to be going on a 50km 3 day hike at Yengo National park, 27km wont be on a trail.
I have a good hiking pack and am likely to be needing to carry over 20kg. I am only 16 and weigh 53kg, i i am fit and have good core strength, is this going to be harmful to my back?, if so are there any strengthening exercises i can do to allow me to carry it.
(I have heard about the general rule, you dont carry over 1/3 of your body weight but i have done it before for short walks and havent found it too difficult)

Any help greatly appreciated,
Thanks Fletcher
Fletcher

Re: Am i carrying too much HELP PLEASE!

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 19, 2010 7:48 pm

I seriously suggest you consult your physiotherapist or Dr for that one Fletcher.

I doubt there is anyone here qualified to give that type of advice.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed May 19, 2010 10:53 pm

I Trekked for 7 days carrying 25/28 kilos ,,originally started carrying 18 but had unfit people with us so took on some of their stuff.. your back is important BUT what gives you the strength is your thigh muscles and glutes,do lots of squats with weights to build them up,get an experienced person to fit your back pack,if it is not weighted properly and fitting into the shape of your back that is where the damage happens and of course a real good pair of hiking boots..Their is an american couple on here that trek a lot but their name isn`t coming to me i will search and i`m sure they will help you.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby gmhemi » Thu May 20, 2010 8:42 am

I found for endurance work you need to eat at least every 2 hours to feed your muscles. And drink constantly.
gmhemi
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations