Front annex on your soft floor CT..does it stay attached???

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Front annex on your soft floor CT..does it stay attached???

Postby Serenity Now » Thu May 13, 2010 12:29 pm

I just watched an instructional DVD from Lifestyle Campers,i know the things i do in my spare time.

It doesn't appear that the front annex stays attached when the camper is packed up and when they were attaching (zipping ) the front annex i was exhausted just watching.
My question is probably,does it make a huge difference when choosing to purchase a new CT that the front annex stays attached to make the set up quicker and less work.
i would imagine that i would use my front annex at most of our camps.

Thanks
SN
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Re: Front annex on your soft floor CT..does it stay attached???

Postby gmhemi » Thu May 13, 2010 1:29 pm

We use a tarp over the whole camper and sit under it while the anex is flipped back over the camper tent. This also gives a bit more insulation inside the camper.
gmhemi
Camping King

Postby Bradd » Thu May 13, 2010 1:32 pm

I found having the annexe attached was more of a pain than the 1 min it takes to zip it on.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 13, 2010 1:48 pm

On the soft floor CT that I had I always left the annex roof attached and just flipped it back over the top to pack away....never any dramas.

Soft floor campers are so much more flexible...both in the set up and pack up.

On the hard floor flip over CT that I now have it is impossible to leave it attached and still fold it up. I always use a tarp over the whole CT and this doubles as my annex roof.

Only when I am setting up long term with the full annex do I attach the annex roof.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby double_d » Thu May 13, 2010 4:25 pm

i too just flip mine over the top
i have two string/ropes tied to each corner helps pull it over
i think it is better than trying to hold it up
while you zip it
no problems when packing
sometimes i dont even use the annex and leave it on top when set up
daniel d
double_d
Captain Camping

Postby Malcur » Thu May 13, 2010 11:32 pm

I have a soft floor CT. I leave the annex attached all the time. Pull it down if I want to set up the annex & and use a lengthened tent pole to push it over the top of the tent next morning. If not setting up the annex, I leave it attached and lying on the roof. I use a couple of oka straps to tie down the corners to stop it flapping if the wind gets up.

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby Franzy » Fri May 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi all.We have a Lifestyle campertrailer with a tropical roof on top,so it's easier to unzip the awning off than leave it on.What's a couple more minutes setting up,unless it's pouring with rain.
Work always gets in the way of camping. :)
Franzy
Boy Scout

Postby d4d » Sat May 15, 2010 8:57 am

We leave the annex on our Tambo and just fold it over when packing up
d4d
Boy Scout

Postby sienna » Sat May 15, 2010 11:54 am

Since I bought my big tarp, I have never used the front annexe (I only have the roof). I did use it as a wall around the kitchen area when I camped for 3wks over christmas but other than that it stays folded in the trailer.
One thing to look at is if you do leave it attached, will your ct cover have deep enough walls to take the extra height you will have from leaving the roof attached
especially if you leave your mattress and/or bedding in the tent as well? My cover has short walls but that could be because it is an older model. Maybe the new ones are more generous.
I found it pretty easy to attach the roof separately as opposed to trying to fold the extra material into the the trailer top.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:06 pm

We have the annexe roof still attached when we fold our camper down. It can be put up as just an awning or for longer trips we put the annexe walls on.

It is worth leaving on as our peak is quite high and we always put the awning up even for an overnighter as it keeps the dew off all the chairs etc in winter and shade in the summer.

It only takes us about 15mins to put all the spreader bars, poles & ropes on and have it up.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby dea » Thu May 20, 2010 9:51 pm

our annex just flips over the top.. we also have 2 ropes attached helps when pulling it over & back when setting up.. our side walls just velcro on so we just keep this on the bed when packing up along with lots of other stuff too ...
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby sassenach.girl » Sun May 23, 2010 8:24 am

We were at the Lifestyle factory yesterday (yes ... we're buying a camper trailer!!). Was talking to Bill there, and he recommended:

not to leave the awning on when packed for longer than 1 night, as it could compromise the zip by bending it backwards.

We watched the Intructional Video yesterday too, and really, it looks like it takes about 1-2 mins (plus a ladder) to zip the awning on, which we will likey do when staying for 2+ nights (overnighters, it will be flip and sleep!)

Kylie
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby CampGrrlz » Sun May 23, 2010 8:47 am

It may depend on the design of the camper, but you don't usually need a ladder to attach an annexe to a CT. Attach a piece of strong string/thin rope to the zip tag. Once the zip is started and meshing correctly, just stay on the ground and walk along the length of the tent holding firmly onto the rope. Even we shorties managed to get the annexe up the 'hill' and down the other side while standing on terra firma.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby GypsyLady » Sun May 23, 2010 10:39 am

Both my campers have required a ladder or somthing to stand on to reach the peak to attach the awning.

You can also use a long handled peg puller or a pole if the tip on either are thin enough to go though the end of the zip. Mind you I never had any success with either of these but I have definitely seen others do it that way.

I cannot see that there would be any strain on the zip when folding the awning back as you just flip it over and it lays there quite loose....there is no tautness at all. The zip itself does not bend it is the canvas which folds back and it is more than flexible.

Heaps of people do it (just look at the responses here) and I can't think of one person ever indicating that they have had any problems with the zip as a result of leaving the awning attached.

If what Bill says is true........ I'd be a tad concerned about the quality of the zip being used.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Serenity Now » Mon May 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Thanks All for your comments and opinions it has been interesting.

Went to Johnnos today for an hr and a half.

They allow their front roof annex to stay attached.

Just one small factor re deciding on a CT.

Just to have a hijack this for a rant,it is frustrating that so many manufactures are based in QLD.
It was so helpful today putting up and packing up Johnnos today as an idea of how much there is to it,etc.

Any Johnno owners out there that would like to comment on their CTs?????

Thats all.

SN
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to Camper Trailers