Going to Jindabyne, first time!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Going to Jindabyne, first time!

Postby shaunandjess » Mon May 24, 2010 10:55 am

Hi guys, new to the forum and going to jindabyne in late june. Just after a few tips really. I was thinking of staying at the Discovery Holiday park on the lake, apparently I'm allowed to have a camp fire there. The other option is Jindabyne Holiday Park, cheaper but no camp fire allowed. Any thoughts on that? I leaning with camp fire at the moment - we will be staying in an unpowered campsite by the way.
We have a decent tent and sleeping bags, we have a foam matress but wondering if we will need more insulation underneath the foam matress? thoughts please.
Cooking - we have a small gas cooker for snags and water bioling but we believe both sites have bbq's and showers etc.
Light - dont have a light other than a torch, im thinking of getting a lantern but not sure if a battery powered lantern would be better, Im after a long lasting light as we plan on camping for 7 days.
Clothing - We have woolen undergarments and fleecey jackets, would it be necessary to take waterproof coverings also?
Fishing - We plan on fishing quite a bit - probably sticking with Lures and Floated baits, any tips on fishing appreciated though!
Township - recommended places to go in and around jindy for pub meals etc.

Thanks in advance guys, if anyone can draw on their own experiences to aid an untravelled person such as myself - many thanks.
shaunandjess

Re: Going to Jindabyne, first time!

Postby GypsyLady » Mon May 24, 2010 11:06 am

Absolutely insulate between the mattress and the floor. If possible also run a tarp over the tent so as to keep the chill from the tent roof.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:57 am

What a beautiful area to visit...'The gateway to the Mountains'......June,,,,,VERY cold (4.4 deg as I am writing .....this week nite temps 2deg,1deg,2deg.'0'deg..........Yes you are going to need ALL the insulation you can get.....As Gypsy said.....get heaps of packing between you and the floor of your tent....and over the top if you can...

Fires.....I'm not sure....but well worth a phone call to the camp to confirm (plus, find out if you have to take your own firewood......a number of camps insist on that now-days)

Fishing....Don't forget your 'LICENCE'.....Me, myself, being 'lake' fishing, I would be using fishing 'Fly's'......or Lures.......Not sure where you will be coming from but just be aware that different States in this country have different laws...(inc protected species, bag limits etc)Always check...It could save you losing all your gear plus the BIG fine....Normally around the $6ish mark for a few days .....much cheaper than a fine.

Sounds like its a very cool time of the year (to cold for Kiwi's....lol)....so, Over-dress,,,,can always take cloths off if it gets to warm.....

Food,,,,As wonderful as they maybe, Tourist type communities can charge like a 'Wounded Bull' when it comes to food....If you have enough room....Take as much as you can with you.

Lamps,,,,look for a lantern type lighting that you can 're-charge'....theres normally a power source somewhere (even ask at the office if you can charge there)...or, they can often be charged using the cig lighter in your car.

Drive safe for the conditions....There will be a number of foreign visitors in the area for the skiing, some from countries that have different laws to us here.....

Hope you & your Family have a great & safe trip.....

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Mon May 24, 2010 1:19 pm

I would definitely only go somewhere where you can have your own campfire or you will be miserable at night! I can cope with no campfire in summer (though don't like it) but not once the temperature drops under 10 degrees at night.

Cooking: I can highly recommend those cheap one burner butane stoves. I just use 2 of those myself. You can get them for $15 sometimes and the gas bottles are cheap too. They don't last very long, so take at least 6 bottles.

Light: I never bother with lanterns. I find a head torch and the fire enough light, but that's just me. I like the dark and seeing the stars and the. Lanterns can be very handy if you cook after dark. For eating after dark you'd need light too, but again, I find a head torch more practical for that. For reading I also use my head torch.

Clothing: Don't forget something to keep the back of your neck warm when you sit by the fire at night. And definitely take weatherproof gear! If you don't you'll jinx yourself!

Sleeping: I can highly recommend the wool underlay for cold weather camping! It's so luxurious... And I put yoga mats under our air bed for insulation.

The only place I know well there is Adaminaby. Nice area and good pub meals. And home of the big trout!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco532 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:45 pm

Lin....Please tell me more about these ''Yoga' mats.......What makes them different to ????
One problem we always have is preventing the Air-beds' feeling 'Brrrr 'Cold'.

We also have those 'Head Lights' which are really good but....I'm for-ever getting told off for shining them in the eyes of the other person when I'm talking to them....We also have the solar-cap lights....very good.

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon May 24, 2010 2:47 pm

I like something like wool under the bed for insulation and used to use an old heavy woollen blanket. I have also used a heavy cotton mat....both natural fibres.

Not saying yoga mats are not good, I just have not used them. PJ uses a piece of carpet quite successfully.

Foam mattresses are much better than air beds too and self inflaters are also pretty good for insulation.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Mon May 24, 2010 3:08 pm

The yoga mats aren't anything special, Rosco. They're compressed foam or something, so quite good for insulating, but probably not particularly better than any of the other things that were suggested. They're lightweight and don't take up much room. Ideally I'd like some of those thin self-inflating hiking mattresses for under our airbed. They're supposed to be even better insulation and roll up really small. But only if I can find some cheap 2ndhand ones though.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco532 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks Lin.....Sorry for getting a little off the track there Shaunandjess......still you may have picked up some helpfull info there,,,,,as I did

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations