Getting to Menindee

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Getting to Menindee

Postby markw » Mon May 24, 2010 1:43 am

Hi all,

We're contemplating heading to Menindee from Sydney. This would be a minimum 2 day trip. Does anyone know any good spots to camp somewhere in between?

Also, what's the best way to get to Menindee? Do you reckon it's worth heading via Broken Hill to stay on sealed roads as much as possible?

:beer << How cool is this guy! Cheers!
markw

Re: Getting to Menindee

Postby mr_grumble » Mon May 24, 2010 7:48 am

Aftyer being a BH local for 17 years, I spent alot of time around that area.

If the weathers fine and hasn't rained in the previous week, take Reid street (in Wilcannia) left hand turn. The dirt road can be a rough road at times but depending on the vehicle, most seem to be fine, just keep the speeds down and you won't have rocks penetrating things they shouldn't.

Depending upon what sort of camping your interested in, you can choose between various spots beside either Lake or River. If you have young kids, I'd suggest Lake Pamarmaroo, large beach type sand and the water's not deep. Plenty of firewood too.
The river, is probably more of a protected area with much more tree coverage (just don't sit under the big river gums, notorious for falling !). The steep banks may pose a problem to young children, very steep in places and the river is riddled with under water snags, not a good place for swimming.

As for getting there..... (might pay to have google maps open as you read this)
Assuming your coming direct from Wilcannia -As you turn left onto the Menindee Road, travel approx 5km and you will turn left onto another dirt road (usually in good cond). Follow this approx 4.1km, where there will the a T-intersection. If you turn left, that road will take you around lake pamarmaroo where there is approx 12 campsites.
If you continue straight through the intersection, travel another 4.8km where you will see on the left hand side, Lake Pamarmaroo and on the Right, the Darling river. There are smaller roads all around that area, most of which will lead to the Darling River. Along the river there are >100 sites, if you travel along the darling river (almost half way back to the menindee road again), there will be 2 sites that are on the inside of bends that have a beach and are well worth the effort to get to.
Travel the area, as I said, there are many many roads around the area, all of which will take you to pretty well much the same places (usually Menindee).
Hope this helps,

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Mon May 24, 2010 7:49 am

Requiring sealed roads will depend on what vehicle you drive....personally I'd rather do the unsealed and see more places the highways bypass.

Broken Hill in itself is worth a trip.....and spend a week there, it is not just a town to drive through.

Re camping spots....I suggest that you buy the Camps Aust Wide 5 publication; it has many free and low cost camps listed and if you don't like one......you simply move on to the next.

Tourist Info Centres in each area are also good....they can often tell you of a good camping spot in the local area.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mr_grumble » Mon May 24, 2010 7:58 am

Pick of the campspots are (in my opinion)
Along the river with beaches: -32.340865,142.479415

Put this gps co-ord into Google maps. All the dirt roads you'll need to travel will be shown here. All up approx 15min from hwy.

As for the vehicle, it will all depend on how dry the roads are. Any sign of water on them and unless your in a 4wd with mud tires, don't bother.
If it's dry, then there will be no problem, the roads in general are in good cond and used frequently.
We used to travel there in a Toyota Starlet from Broken Hill and as long as you keep the speed under 60km/h, there will be no probs.
However, if you do encounter rain whilst your there, get out asap, will take approx 10-15 min to get out. The roads along the river in particular are grey river clay, hard as a rock when dry, but the minute they get damp, they turn into ice and you'll be digging your vehicle out for days :?

Most of the major dirt roads you'll be travelling along will be identicle to the pic in my signature (the one on the left hand side)

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby markw » Tue May 25, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks for the great advice!

The roads don't look too bad - not sure what the weather has been like though, but we'll check that out as we get closer. We'll be in my brother's Hilux. My main concern with the unsealed roads was the long distances on difficult roads, e.g mud.

We've actually decided to come from the south, spending our first night at Darlington point. We may stay at mungo for a night, possibly visit Renmark, then shoot up towards Broken Hill and Menindee. Unfotunately, we won't have a week to spend in BH if we're to visit all the other places :(

I'm getting excited though!!

Cheers
Mark
markw

Postby mr_grumble » Tue May 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Only 60min from Broken Hill anyway.

You'll know where the dirt road turnoff is as you travel along Menindee Road as there's a bloody great Red/White Television tower just on the left hand side of the road (the turn-off is 200-500m before it), you'll see it a couple of minutes before you get to the turn-off.
Enjoy....

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby hoadie72 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:00 pm

If you're going to be stopping at Darlington Point, what about going via Ivanhoe? The road from Ivanhoe to Menindee is nice and wide and appears to be well maintained.

Edit: missed that you're looking to visit Renmark. In that case what about stopping by the Mungo NP?
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations