Camp ground cover?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Camp ground cover?

Postby Trugger » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:41 pm

Ive searched for an answer or more some points of opinion.

Is the camp green extruded matting you can get (Clarke rubber $40/m, Bunnings $42.90/m) alot better than other alternatives like shade cloth ($5-$15/m).

I need a solution for under the annex of our CT we found on recent trips thats a dirt floor would be better covered. We we are on grass its not an issue.

Any opinions welcome

Trugger
Trugger
Boy Scout

Re: Camp ground cover?

Postby beast » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:48 pm

i just use a tarp a little bit bigger than the annex i think i payed $35
beast
Boy Scout

Postby Titch » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:12 pm

wet-area-matting.jpg

we carry this, from Clark Rubber, by the mtr at 650 or 1300 wide.
Easy to shake out and roll up.
Titch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:38 pm

IMO the only matting to put down in the annex is a CGear mat....yes expensive but well worth every penny...oops...make that dollar.

http://www.downundercamping.com.au/home.php?cat=909

http://www.cgear.com/rec_product.html

http://www.cgear.com.au/
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby bonger » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:12 pm

http://www.kmart.com.au/Catalogue/Catal ... ogueID=268

page 14 of that catalogue. cant go wrong at that price.
Mitsi Challenger, 06 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer, Wife, Child and Dog. Sometimes not in that order :P
bonger
Camping King

Postby Rosco532 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Trugger,,,,We use a good quality shade cloth from bunnings......
A number of the parks don't like you using tarps if you are going to be there for a while.
The shade cloth is light to carry and folds up to nothing for transporting plus, when in place it breaths....water goes through it if you spill anything....and easy to sweep clean.
We also use it on the floor....then carry it on up the wall....cuts out wind, keeps pests out and give us abit more privacy,.
I'm not saying its any better than other products...but it suits us.

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Davey G » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:31 pm

we use a large piece of shadecloth (probably 1.5 metres wide x 3 or 4 metres long) as a ground cover across the front entrance to our tent. this basically stops (so much) dirt, sand etc from getting in the tent as the sand falls down the holes in the cloth and the top remains reasonably clean. it makes a huge difference, especially with lots of little kids feet running in and out

although theres probably lots of 'better' options, this is cheap and easy and doesnt take up much room at all
Davey G

Postby Trugger » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:32 pm

That ones a bit small bonga

I went and had a look at the one gypsy recommended (cgear) and although dear for 2 pieces of shade cloth sewn together the work with eyelets, edging and a carry bag probably make it worth while.

I have now got some old fake grass matting from a family business that has some as part of the hire business that i think i will staple to a piece of dowl to help roll and put in another PVC tube on the side of the camper like the pole storage.

Would still be interested on first hand opinions on the camp matting that gyspsy recommended (cgear).

Trug
Trugger
Boy Scout

Postby d4d » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:33 pm

We have shadecloth, CGear and annexe matting. Shadecloth goes under the tent, annexe matting inside the tent and CGear for the annexe. We did use annexe matting for the annexe however you need to clean it everyday as it doesn't let the dirt through like the CGear.
d4d
Boy Scout

Postby Rosco532 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Just thought I'd show you what it looks like being used as a wind / sun /bug/ privacy wall...You can see how the shadecloth cuts out the glare.....but not the view

We have also put eyelets in the cloth to tie it down....and looks tidier.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rosco532 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:31 pm

Trug, I have been looking for a link to the military trials they have done on CGear. I could not get all of them to play, hopefully you can....it is very impressive.

Here is the link: http://www.cgear.com/

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:37 pm

Gypsy, it wouldn't open for me either....but now I have seen what product you were meaning....I watched the TV camping program that they took the movie from....was a really good product.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Rosco532 wrote:Gypsy, it wouldn't open for me either....but now I have seen what product you were meaning....I watched the TV camping program that they took the movie from....was a really good product.

The second one down with the Black Hawk helicopter works for me. Yes Rosco it is an exceptional product.....I am extremely happy with mine and a number of my friends have bought them since seeing mine.

I bought mine from the Caravan & Camping Show on special....made it a little more attractive and now that I have it and know how good it is.....I would even pay full price for one.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:57 pm

I'll keep my eye out for at the show next week.....how small does it fold up to....rooms always a consideration for us.....ha...the Patrols full now days....so we bought the trailer....thats also getting pretty full now days as well....got to much 'stuff' but hate to leave any of it behind.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:45 am

Depends on the size you get Rosco. I have the 20ft one and it comes in a carry bag about the same size as the green grocery recycle bags.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Gear Guide