OZTRAIL SLEEPING BAGS - OPINIONS PLEASE

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

OZTRAIL SLEEPING BAGS - OPINIONS PLEASE

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:25 pm

I have been looking to upgrade our sleeping bag that we put on our bed in the CT as an extra dooner in winter. Had a look yesterday at the local camping store and quite liked the
OZtrail - Alpine View Jumbo Hooded S/Bag which is rated to -15 and is a quite affordable for us at $130.

We already have a Roman -5 which we are going to give to our son when we update as he needs a bigger one now. It has been great but with hubby's bad hip we need a little extra warmth in winter.

Does anyone have one of these and what are they like? I really prefer the flannel inner in the Oztrail which the Roman also had but the new ones that were in the shop didn't.

Any other preferences for other brands? Especially with the flannel inner.

xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: OZTRAIL SLEEPING BAGS - OPINIONS PLEASE

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:28 pm

Not a sleeping bag XB (and I have no advice on one) but try a hot water bottle with a cover for hubby's bad hip. This may help as well.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks Gypsy. He has a heat pack and thermals. We just find that if we have a really warm sleeping bag on the bed as a doona, once he is warm and stays that way all night his hip is good it's just when he gets cold it starts to ache. And it's supposed to be really cold this weekend ::() but that's not going to stop us.

Just couldn't find much when I did a search so thought I would throw it out there to the masses and see what came back.

I have heard the lower grade Oztrail sleeping bags weren't much chop so was interested to see what others experiences were before going ahead with it.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:45 pm

XB, I find the hot water bottle lasts longer than the heat pack which is why I suggested it in addition to all the other stuff you do as well
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:48 pm

Have never used one before but might just give it a go this weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks gypsy
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Serenity Now » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi XB,

We have just purchased 2 of these Roman Flight Advance 1000 sleeping bags rated to -10 and i am hoping that i will be warm this winter.
We camp in a couple of weeks so look out if i'm not warm . :***

These sleeping aren't flannel lined as you mentioned and they are quite pricey so may not be what you are looking for.
mmmm not much help am i.

http://www.roman.com.au/website17.aspx? ... arent=1580
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby Chicky Babe » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:18 am

I agree with GL...always do the hot water bottle (a good quality one) just b4 bed and have a nice cozy cover on it.. I have one for each person not just one per bed.

I actually also have an origo heatpal that I got for the boat but also use to warm the CT upl Very safe,,,uses metho,,,very portable and no leakage as it is shaped like an air filter with a cover on it and won't drip even if tipped over. You can get these from the chandlery's for approx $180, expensive but well worth it for those exceptionally cold nights to be able to get to sleep. Investing in thermal underwear is a thought as well. ps. I do not leave it going while asleep only to warm the ct up.
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:23 am

Chicky Babe wrote:I agree with GL...always do the hot water bottle (a good quality one) just b4 bed and have a nice cozy cover on it.. I have one for each person not just one per bed.

When it is really cold I put 3 hot water bottles in the bed before I go to bed.......1 at the feet, 1 shoulders and 1 in the middle. Hot water bottles are so cheap you can affort to have heaps of them. I also have a couple of spares....JIC.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:24 am

Chicky Babe wrote:I agree with GL...always do the hot water bottle (a good quality one) just b4 bed and have a nice cozy cover on it.. I have one for each person not just one per bed.

When it is really cold I put 3 hot water bottles in the bed before I go to bed.......1 at the feet, 1 shoulders and 1 in the middle. Hot water bottles are so cheap you can affort to have heaps of them. I also have a couple of spares....JIC.

And I forgot to mention....in winter I use flanelette sheets on the bed as well as a feather/down doona.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Thanks everyone :+

Have gone with another Roman big brother hood -10 ($135) as that was the best they had and as we already have one and know it is really good I stuck with what I knew worked...It is also flannel lined.

At closer look the Oztrail is rated -12 but with a comfort rating of -5 so that also made me stick with the Roman. Compared the two with fillings, outer, etc and both are the same.

Where do I buy a hot water bottle and cover from? We are in a small town and only have Target ,Woolies, Coles, Reject shop, chemist... no Big W, KMart etc....

Also going to try and get a powered site but it's first in best dressed, so if do get powered I am going to take the little electric space heater our son won (a golf prize we can finally use!!!) to heat the CT up before the kids go to bed.

Suppose to only have tops of 10C but will only get down to -1C so the fire bucket will be going day and night ::) :cheers
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:22 pm

Chemist shop is the go,We tried the others and ended up at the Chemist shop.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:27 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:Where do I buy a hot water bottle and cover from? We are in a small town and only have Target ,Woolies, Coles, Reject shop, chemist... no Big W, KMart etc....

Probably any & all of those places XB......and whilst you don't have one XB (info for others) Aldi have them for $9.99 with fluffy cover, well as from tomorrow.

I was in the Reject Shop a couple weeks ago and I am sure I saw them there too.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:04 pm

::) Forgot to mention we also have Aldi so will go check tomorrow morning thanks Gypsy!!!

We don't get catalouges in the mailbox as our mailbox went walkabout a couple of years ago and we just got a PO box instead of replacing the mailbox continually :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:19 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:::) Forgot to mention we also have Aldi so will go check tomorrow morning thanks Gypsy!!!

We don't get catalouges in the mailbox as our mailbox went walkabout a couple of years ago and we just got a PO box instead of replacing the mailbox continually :***

Have a look here XB...hopefully the link will work. http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers_20100610.htm
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:35 pm

Link works, makes me miss getting junk mail!! :cry:

Thanks again Gypsy will even get the girls one too as they are really cute. :?#
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to Gear Guide