Camping with other parents and kids

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with children and babies.

Re: Camping with other parents and kids

Postby HGMonaro » Tue May 04, 2010 1:09 pm

my boys like toasting marshmellows (one doesn't really like to eat them though) as that's the only time they get to break the fire rules! However, they do help create it, gathering wood and building... but poking it is my domain at the moment.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby capella_ben » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Whenever we go camping I encourage the kids to bugger off and find some friends. They always have a good time when they find a few friends around their own age. And I get to read a book!

We don't do the marshmellow thing as the kids don't eat them and they mostly fall in the fire. Toast or damper is the way to go!

I like the chimney fire. Will look to do that when I get the chance.

Ben
capella_ben
Captain Camping

Postby Chicky Babe » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:35 am

I have found only in my camping trips (can't vouch for others) the rocks around our fires are okay if they well above the creek and have been dried out for a while. we do not collect rocks from near the creek as they tend to explode, might be something to do them them getting wet???

Same rules re fires etc. also if the kids go off playing nobody leaves anyone alone, meaning there is never just one kid left to come back on their own or run off on their own. Also no bugging anyone, if they want to read or have timeout leave them alone...it is everyone's holiday you don't have to do what everyone else does and oh my goodness, the chair thing...why is it that some people think they can not only sit in your chair but stay there once you come back and not even offer to move so you can have it. Don't mind them sitting in it but please hop out once you come back. Got over being "polite" about it but do ask nicely if I can please have my chair back!, also take my chair back to my campsite once i go to bed. Anything to keep the peace cause lots of people can cause little annoyances now and then, even me..rather know than not. :)
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:20 am

Chicky Babe wrote:. Don't mind them sitting in it but please hop out once you come back. Got over being "polite" about it but do ask nicely if I can please have my chair back!,

You are polite CB....I just say 'shift ya bum'.......if it doesn't happen I add 'NOW would be good'

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chicky Babe » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Love it GL...generally if they don't give it up to me after I have asked so nicely...I just tip them out of it!!!

I understand them buying the el cheapos, but once you've tried them and then sat in everybody elses chair cause yours is too uncomfortable...go buy a good one...but they keep bringin the cheapies. great for the kids but treat yourself parents....you do enough!!
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:35 pm

My daughter - though brimming with confidence otherwise - refuses to walk up to kids she doesn't know to ask if they want to play these days. Also, I will try to avoid going to busy places and being surrounded by strangers... So the best solution for us is really to take more kids we know.

And about the chair, if it's my daughter sitting in it I'll say "out!" as I approach and if she doesn't move fast enough I'll just go sit on top of her.

I'm politer with my friends, but I do ask them to move too. My chair suits me and I don't like the $10 ones either.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Chicky Babe » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:17 am

Lin...I had that problem with my daughter...still do actually...way too shy...only child...that is why we introduced a city family to camping...then it just grew and we have approx 12 families now that come and go thru the week and heaps of kids!!...we do actually like it with just the basic 4 families we started with that camp all week..all the kids get on great and prefer it when the other kids go?? Same old story too many personalities. but still great fun!! For an only child it was actually easier when she was younger, cause now she would prefer to take a friend, even though she does enjoy my company...it's always better when you are a teenager to have THAT friend!
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:42 pm

That sounds great, CB! What awesome memories for your daughter to cherish as they get older. It's the kind of thing I really want for my daughter, so I'll keep persevering in convincing other families to come.

And I still want to take our neighbour's kids but because of the custody arrangements, her grandparents need to ask social services for permission to let her go and they'll have to do a police check on me, etc. So it sounds like it will take a while and won't be done before our next trip in July.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mojo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:28 pm

We had our first child last year, she's 7 months old now. Can't wait to get her out camping with us. I'm sure she'll be an outdoors girl - we took her on to the beach last weekend in a 4WD, and she loved the bumpy ride - she couldn't stop laughing! :***

We've always camped with my friends and their kids, and we have a great time, but their kids are all a fair bit older (ranging from 5 to 12), so we'll have to find some camping buddies with a play mate for our girl.

Hopefully we'll get to take her on her first camping trip after winter when it's a bit warmer - not really keen to take her out in the cold as she's already had one chest infection and ended up in hospital for a few days.

I think what I'm most looking forward to is when she's old enough to grab me a beer from the esky! :cheers
Cheers

Sean
mojo
Boy Scout

Postby Lin » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:06 pm

It's great to have kids similar in age to play together, but having kids different ages together is great too. One christmas, when my daughter was 4, we befriended a family with a 3 and 5yo and 2 families with 2 10 and 12 year olds each (one pair of boys and one girls!) and it was absolutely fabulous. The little ones played together all the time (though 3 can be a crowd!) and the older ones helped look after them and entertain them too. Because the older ones were all experienced campers already, they were great role models too.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Previous

Return to Camping with Kids