Camp kitchens/cupboards

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Camp kitchens/cupboards

Postby Lin » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:40 pm

I decided I want to replace my pantry. I bought one last year and I am amazed at what a difference it makes to your camp to have one. But mine takes ages to set up as it's one of those frames that comes apart in umpteen bits. The plastic corners that the metal pipes fit into are shoddy too. I cracked one the first time I set it up. Admittedly I did hit it with a mallet because I could not get the rod in. But it's camping gear, it should withstand the odd wack with the mallet! :lol

So now I'm tossing up whether to go the full folding camp kitchen ("full" is relative here, I drive an Astra) or get a folding cupboard and a seperate table.

Those with limited space, what do you use? And is a built-in sink useful or not a great improvement on a plastic tub?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Camp kitchens/cupboards

Postby CampGrrlz » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:39 pm

Lin wrote:...But it's camping gear, it should withstand the odd wack with the mallet! :lol ... or get a folding cupboard and a separate table. ... is a built-in sink useful or not a great improvement on a plastic tub?

Indeed camping gear should withstand a good whack!

Can't comment on the folding cupboard but a separate table is always useful for food preparation without having to move too much stuff to make space. But then an Astra - we drive an Accent so have a picture of the space available ;) We have a 2m x 1m robust made in Australia folding table which is strong enough to chop up on and an aluminium slat one which is used for other things so long as you don't want to lean on it but it takes up very little space for packing.

OK built-in sink - had one of these in both camper trailers. Ended up storing stuff in it, too darned small for practical use. Depends where you camp - in a caravan park you can use the camp kitchen but if camping in less effete surrounding, then built-in if big enough or bring a couple of rectangular basins. You can pack stuff inside the basins - one for washing one for rinsing - we found the rectangular ones more practical than the round ones. And they are made in Australia!

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Ricklanga » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:27 pm

We have one of these http://www.downundercamping.com.au/prod ... 543&page=1 They are light, compact & easy to setup. I thing the plastic tub is better than a built in sink as you can just chuck it under the bench when not in use. We actually use one of those small plastic storage boxes with a lid. That way we can pack the t-towels, dish liquid etc. When we setup the kitchen that stuff goes in one of the cupboards & we use the tub for the sink.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:11 am

I'm tossing up between something like that - they have a cheaper Oztrail one which is very similar - or a 3-shelf cupboard and a separate folding table or stove stand.

The latter will end up costing more but is more flexible. I usually don't take the pantry if I'm just going for the weekend.

There's no camping gear sales on anywhere right now though!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ricklanga » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:23 am

At the time we bought ours it was $99 & the oztrail was the more expensive one. Didn't see much difference in either other than the price.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:58 am

That's funny! From the same seller on Ebay, the DMH one is now $149 and the Oztrail one $99!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:38 pm

I think I'm hesitating because I like the idea of a taller cupboard so I don't have to bend down all the time for the most used stuff. But an all-in-one would definitely be cheaper and probably more practical in the way of packing it in the car and setting it up.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:48 pm

We have one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DMH-QUICK-FOLDAWAY-4-SHELF-CAMP-CUPBOARD-WITH-SOLID-TOP_W0QQitemZ350355226018QQihZ022QQcategoryZ170507QQcmdZViewItem

It is tall and has the solid top so we usually have stuff stored on the top of it too....it also packs up into a bag which is roughly only about 600mm x 600mm and only 10cm deep so it packs in quite small and is VERY easy to put up and with the solid top it stays rigid. Our 12 year old usually sets it up and we also have a separate table as we always find we need more table space with the three kids.

Friends of ours have one of these: http://www.downundercamping.com.au/product.php?productid=18911&cat=995&page=1

Which is really handy and doubles as a pantry and table. Not a huge amount of room in the pantry and it annoyed me having to get down to find stuff in there. I prefer the taller pantry and separate table. This is our table:http://www.downundercamping.com.au/product.php?productid=18336&cat=261&page=2

You could always get one of these tables to save space: http://www.downundercamping.com.au/product.php?productid=17362&cat=261&page=2

I think RickLanga's idea of using the storage box as a sink is terrific as it's all there!! We have a kitchen in our CT and also use the sink as a storage place for all the teatowels,washing liquid,stubby holders etc....

We always take our pantry in our CT on trips longer than 2 nights as the kids can get to everything when it's in the pantry and they don't have to be in and out of storage boxes etc looking for the food. ::)

Hope this helps Lin....
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions and links! I think I will go for the tall cupboard and separate table.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:18 pm

I just set up my new Oztrail foldable 4-shelf pantry and I am so excited! It's great! Bigger than my old one, but doesn't take up more space when folded. So easy to set up, lightweight and good quality shelves and top. And you know what I got most excited about? The 3 metal hooks on one side of the hard top! I absolutely love it when it's obvious that a camper has had input in the design. I was immediately thinking of hanging the garbage bag on one hook, the kitchen towel on the other and the emergency torch on the third and it was as if I was already there, in my new camp kitchen. Little things really do matter!

Oh and it has pockets in the side too. That'll be for the wet wipes and the sunscreen. :grin:
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:36 pm

Sounds like you might have it all sorted Lin......
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GollyGee » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:51 pm

Ooh lotsa hooks are handy. Sounds like you're all set gear-wise!
GollyGee
Camping King

Postby Lin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:52 am

Sounds like you're all set gear-wise!

That's what I tell myself every time I walk out of the camping store, Golly. But I still keep going back! :***
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:31 am

Hahaha I think we are all the same Lin :***

When you hang the bin bag on one side make sure when it's getting full it doesnt tip the pantry over!!!! (Talking from experience here :lol: )

We now have one of those Croc bin thingos that attaches to the awning poles so no more picking up the pantry and contents.....
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Gear Guide