Keeping Cool?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Keeping Cool?

Postby jollyroger » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:50 pm

I want to know how you keep cool in a CT in the stinking hot summer. I love my sleep and can be very grumpy if not well rested.

We're off over the xmas new year break in the CT. It's already been stinking hot here 41 & 43 during the day and 33 at night. I have survived this with a brilliant A/C at home - but I'm a little worried about the kids and me in a CT and a stinking hot night.

Does anyone have any tried remdies? Ways of keeping cool on a hot night that doesnt require shoving ice in the budgie smugglers and potenially losing the aggets!

:( :beer :( :beer :( :beer :***
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Kramer » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:07 am

Hmmm that ice thing sounds Kinky :) but on a serious note how about wetting down the canvas or putting wet rags on the canvas before you go to bed and letting evaporation do the work for you, mind you though this won't work while is humid.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Komodo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:45 am

Ice in the jocks works a treat. Used to do it when I used to go raving. Those were the days.

But yeah wetting the canvas does work but I found when camping in northern QLD that we lifted all the sides on the tents and let the air flow through. slept on streachers. and wetting the canvas does work.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Cool daze

Postby Activity_Dept » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:57 pm

I am no expert but it would seem to me if you could support a reflector type tarp over (not touching) the caravan top you would reflect some of the sun light of the canvas obviously the more sun off the camper canvas the cooler the campervan. Also I would say keep the screens in the windows in good nic as the more ventilation the better. Dry ice (or a bucket of cold water) with a battery operated fan blowing over it maybe, depends on how much trouble you want go to I guess.

:bunny
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby jollyroger » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:14 pm

Problem I have with wetting the CT Canvas is:

1: It's 15oz gague canvas
2: It's Dynaproofed
3: Totally 100% water proofed.

I bought the CT off a bloke who owns a Canvas Company. He ripped the original canvas off and rebuilt it to suit him. The canvas work and zips are worth more than the trailer itself. There is a tiny slit in the roof that looks like a hole but not once has it leaked even in a torrential downpour!

So I like the idea of putting a tarp over the top of the tent as a shade house effect. Might just work.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby bushcamper » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:30 pm

The tarp makes a huge difference, I took off the canvas awning and had a tarp altered to fit.

I'll see if I can remember how to post a few photos

Image[/url]
bushcamper
Camping King

Postby elpaulos » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:07 pm

Hey bushcamper

Nice tarp setup. Never thought of that angling. What's the blue "tape" running from the outer edge in? Is that standard stuff or a modification?

veddy nice
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby bushcamper » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:58 pm

G'day Elpaulos,

The blue is reinforcing for the splits on both sides, if you look at the middle photo you can see that I like to back the truck into the side of the awning area to use the fridge and other stuf in the back. I clip the tarp to the roof rack, works OK so far

This one shows it a little better

bushcamper
Camping King

Postby Scolers » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:03 pm

We've got a large awning too ... great throughout the day as it reflects the sun. You can also got a solar type awning that you put on the roof of the tent/CT and that reflects the heat very well but big $$$.

Failing that I just go for a swim in the Indian Ocean 'cause I can ...

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to General Chit-Chat