Croc Bin for rubbish

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Croc Bin now available

Postby rovert » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:08 pm

Hello all,

I have been reading with interest about the plastic bag issue and its impact it will have on the Croc Bin. I have a croc bin and love it. I first started to use my old shopping bags, but now I buy off the roll bags (will fit up to large size) for under $5.00 bucks a roll. I have been away 3 times so far and have only use half a roll. This option is still very cheap. If you think they will do away with plastic bags altogether, your wrong. I still need bags for my bin at home because I still recycle my old shopping bags, paper bags get wet and are no good.

The Croc Bin rocks.
rovert

Postby will_deness » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:19 pm

rovert wrote: If you think they will do away with plastic bags altogether, your wrong.

I think they will try to do away with them, both govt. and big business (coles&woollies)want to get rid of them, and that makes for a pretty powerful force. I will make a prediction here, within 3-4 yrs we will be paying a levy or fee for every plastic shopping bag we use
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby amanda » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Does anyone know which countries have already banned plastic bags - I would be interested to know.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby will_deness » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:50 pm

From middle of this year Chinese retailers are not allowed to give free plastic shopping bags away, I think there is about 10 countries who charge a fee or levy for the bags.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:39 pm

rovert wrote:Hello all,

I have been reading with interest about the plastic bag issue and its impact it will have on the Croc Bin. I have a croc bin and love it. I first started to use my old shopping bags, but now I buy off the roll bags (will fit up to large size) for under $5.00 bucks a roll. I have been away 3 times so far and have only use half a roll. This option is still very cheap. If you think they will do away with plastic bags altogether, your wrong. I still need bags for my bin at home because I still recycle my old shopping bags, paper bags get wet and are no good.

The Croc Bin rocks.

I think this move is just to reduce the overall production/use/disposal of plastic bags and as you say we will still be able to purchase garbage bags anyhow.

And I am with you rovert, I love my Croc Bin too.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:05 pm

3-4 months ago I thought getting rid of plastic shopping bags was crazy, but recently I looked into it a little closer and I have to admit the greenies have got a point on this issue. Plastic shopping bags make up only 10% of the plastic you bring home from the crocery store, but it makes up a considerable percentage of plastic litter. Trouble is only some people are making use of the bags as bin liners and a lot don't care, so when they get phased out the people who use bin liners will go out and buy them and they will end up (generally) in the same place as the other 90% of the plastic you bring home from woollies. Basically what happens now is everyone can go in to a supermarket and is given free bin liners whether they use them or not.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:48 pm

In a nutshell Will...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Croc Bin

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:15 am

Thought I’d bump this post when I saw mention in a recent thread about hanging the rubbish on a hook.

Maybe some of you might be interested in this product. I have had and used one exclusively since they came on the market and I noticed that at the recent Caravan & Camping show they now have a small table too.

Not sure the table suits me but it may be fine for many others.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Croc Bin for rubbish

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:34 am

We have had one since seeing them at a camping show when they first came out a couple of years ago.

LOVE IT!!!!!

Target has already started charging if you want a bag and it won't be long before the supermarkets do the same. I take my green re-usable bags so it won't worry me but I think they will still keep making bin bags.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:08 pm

Looks great. Bit expensive though. Especially if you've just spend as much as I did on camping furniture! I'll keep my eye out for one on special though, but I'll stick to the plastic bag on hook for now.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:47 pm

You could say that about most things Lin.....

Keep an eye open for places that have a % off sale Lin.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:28 pm

I bought mine about three years ago and it cost me about $35.

Found it for $30 on this website which is pretty good for three years later!!!!! :+

http://www.downundercamping.com.au/product.php?productid=17671

If I remember rightly my hubby was going on about how much it cost at the time and that we wouldn't use it but he is eating his words....as we have used it heaps ::)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:38 pm

I bought mine on an introductory offer of $25 from memory and yes I have since seen them for $35 but can't recall if they were any cheaper at the Caravan & Camping show or not.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chicky Babe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:57 pm

I looked at the croc bin and wanted one, simply cause I got sick of the bag on the hook.
Instead I bought one of those collapsible buckets with the zip lid from downunder.
Used it this trip and loved it, just emptied it into the big bin. No smell and just washed it out!
It's probabely made from plastic though - didn't look :!:
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Previous

Return to Gear Guide