Trailer Tyres

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Trailer Tyres

Postby MDC » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi everyone,

We're up for a new set of tyres on the trailer and I'm not sure about the advice that a tyre shop gave us.... I'm hoping the the wise ones here can help.

We just had electric brakes fitted and the trailer was replated and reregistered with a 1500kg ATM. The tyre shop has advised that we'll need to put commercial load rated tyres on the trailer and that standard car tyres are illegal on the trailer.

Am I stuck with commercial tyres or can I put 4x4 tyres on? The trailer currently has 205/65 15 tyres.

What does everyone else use on their trailers??

Cheers,
M
MDC
Captain Camping

Re: Trailer Tyres

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:12 pm

What vehicle do you tow it with?

We have commercial 4x4 off road tyres on ours that are interchangable with our Prado.

But we only have a 750kg ATM on our trailer.

It would probably depend on what state you live in to what applies to your trailer. Have a look on your states RTA website that should give you what is legal.

Not really my field as hubby handles most of that stuff but I have given you all the knowledge I have so I hope it helps?????? :*** :*** :*** :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco532 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:53 pm

MDC,,,As Xmasbaby suggested, each State may have a different ruling on this issue .

I think myself, if You ask about 'lite truck tyres'....They should be suitable and are fairly priced, BUT, check with your local Transport Dept. Re the regulations for your area.
...They are what we have on our trailer and we are in Brisbane.
Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:03 am

My CT has an ATM of 1750 and I have 16 inch landcruiser rims with Maxxis 751 Bravo Radial tyres on it and they were on from new with the original registration so I can only presume they would be legal.

I travelled all over the outbback with the CT and never had any issues with the exception of one tyre being staked on the Birdsville Track. The CT is now over 3 years old and the tyres are still in very good condition.

I see you are in the Brisbane area so I suggest that you go and talk to Beau at Bob Jane Mt Gravatt and he will put you on the right track with info.

No affiation....just a long term happy customer and this guy knows his stuff.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Like a lot of things you will find that tyres have a load rating. You need to check that in comparison to your trailer weight when loaded.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Jo&Kev » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Dereck is correct - tyres have a load and pressure rating. Don't be scared of 'commercial' tyre or light truck tyres - they seem to last better than 'car' tyres and are well priced - mainly because of the market.

I use similar tyres to GL on my Discovery and they are excellent - even better when you consider Maxxis is a 'home brand' type of tyre.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:40 pm

On the boat trailer, I have regular car tyres, I have read that alot of people do advise that you should use the same tyres as the towing vehicle, that way you have a few spares in case of a puncture and you can rotate them off the trailer onto the car.

But the better option is light truck tyres, mainly becuase they have a higher load rating than regular car tyres but they are a bit more puncture resistant.

BTW Maxxis is a good quality reasonably priced tyre, I have MT-753 Bravo All Terrain tyres on my 4WD
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:42 pm

I also have a set of Maxxis Bravo on my Cruiser for general about town use...so far no complaints.

There was a guy filling up next to me at the fuel station one day in a Patrol and I noticed he had Maxxis on his 4X4. I asked him what he thought of them and at that stage he done 60,000+ on them and they were still going strong.

Pretty good recommendation for me.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby MDC » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:59 pm

Thanks everyone. I will go down the path of commercial / light truck tyres for the trailer.

At the moment I'm not concerned about using the same tyres on the trailer as the car as the car runs stupidly expensive SUV tyres. (I tow with a Subaru Forester XT... grippy tyres make it plenty of fun to drive around town)

I'm sure I'll one day regret the decision, but it's likely that I'll be stuck in the middle of nowhere looking for a car tyre, not a trailer tyre. :(
MDC
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco532 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:04 pm

MDC....Have no fear...Light truck tyres are very common now days and available everywhere,,,,and at a fairer price than most.

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby itchyvet » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:14 pm

MDC wrote:Thanks everyone. I will go down the path of commercial / light truck tyres for the trailer.

At the moment I'm not concerned about using the same tyres on the trailer as the car as the car runs stupidly expensive SUV tyres. (I tow with a Subaru Forester XT... grippy tyres make it plenty of fun to drive around town)

I'm sure I'll one day regret the decision, but it's likely that I'll be stuck in the middle of nowhere looking for a car tyre, not a trailer tyre. :(

Yep, what you've posted is legit. I was bitten by this very same bug with our camper which was also fitted with standard auto tyres. One gave up the ghost in spectacular fashion enroute.
When having tyres changed out, techy asked who fitted them on the camper, told him manufacturer, I was told they should be shot as their rating was no sufficient for the camper. How's them for apples ?
Won't mention the name of manufacturer here.
Short story version, fitted 8PLY instead of 4 Ply. The PLY refers to thickness of the walls of the tyre.
These were placed on the standard rim without any problems and are a much better tyre for the job.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Return to Camper Trailers