Hi from plustips - need tarp advice

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi from plustips - need tarp advice

Postby plustips » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:49 pm

Hi, I am a new member and have just returned from a weekend "trial" camping trip. We live up in Gosford and my partner and I have re-introduced ourselves to camping with our kids. We are mainly interested in camping near coastal areas as we take our boat which is a convenient trailer for all the gear. Our packing and setting up the campsite was an interesting experience but once set up we enjoyed ourselves and look forward to longer camping experiences. I have found the forums on the website very valuable for information and getting our basics so thanks to all the contributors. Now I hope in the future I can repay the favour.

We are off camping again in the holidays and have 3 adults and 8 kids this time. :shock: I may need another holiday alone after this adventure.

We are pretty well set up except we really want to get a large tarp for over our campsite and would really like some tips on what to buy, where to look and how to best set the tarp up. Thankyou to any assistance.

Plustips
plustips

Postby HGMonaro » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:20 pm

Hi Plustips (whatever that means??)

Can't really add any useful hints regarding tarps other than to avoid those really cheap ones, they don't last. Check for double stitched seams and reinforced gromets (the holes!) and also that it's got enough holes for what you want.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby elpaulos » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:28 pm

If you have a camp store near by check it out. The triple stitched tarps with D-rings on the outside are up there with the best.
As HG said, pay the money and you can't go wrong.

I've got a 5.95m x 4.91m tarp and a 6m ridge pole. I only use half of the d-rings on setup.

Also check your weekend shopper in the paper. People go hard into buying up camping stuff then loose the urge. These make great deals for others...including tarps and poles etc.

And welcome to the forum................
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby Kramer » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:33 am

Welcome plustips :) as everyone else has said buy the more expensive ones but don't get a price on getting a canvas tarp ::() I also buy the real cheap ones from the $2 shops for ground/trailer covers if needed they don't have to last long and for $10 you get three 3x3m tarps.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby elpaulos » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:11 am

Also check out the photos of tarp setups. They're down the bottom. Damn impressed me :shock:

viewtopic.php?t=857
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Thanks

Postby plustips » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:02 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have looked around the net and wasn't sure which choice was better. Now I will concentrate on the d-ring set up. Thanks for the sites as well. I have one cheap tarp for the ground but will get a couple more. Friend of mine got an offcut of outdoor carpet to use as a doormat for the tents. Thanks for the welcome.

Plustips :grin:

PS - plustips is our tip truck business
plustips

Update on camping trip with 8 kids

Postby plustips » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:19 pm

Well we had our weeks camping trip at Patonga with 3 adults, 8 kids. Whilst I love them all dearly, never again without more adults. Too much work with all but 1 being 12 or younger. Two minute noodles and hotdogs were a hit for lunches. Definitely take padlocks for the esky's as most of the drinks disappeared after the first day.
Patonga was a great location and fantastic for the kids with safe swimming spots. We only had one problem with some not so nice people stealing the safety d-shackle and petrol from our boat. Unfortunatley we didn't know about the petrol until we took the boat out later and ran out of petrol which is another story in itself.
We took the advice on the tarps and got a few cheap ones for the ground which we threw away later. We had pretty bads winds on the last night and the spring ropes and stronger pegs were worth their money. We looked around the camping area at other set ups and got a good idea what will be the best set up for us. We had a laugh at one huge camp site which had a couple of lounges, tv, fridge - the whole shebang. All in all we survived and it certainly was easier setting up the second time. See ya. Plustips.
plustips

Return to Introductions: