What do you eat when camping?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

What do you eat when camping?

Postby mummeee74 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:30 pm

I am sitting here dreaming of a camping holiday (forget the white xmas bit), CT hasn't arrived yet, but I live in hope, so thought I would start planning our menu for our trip.

Curious as to what everyone cooks when they go camping, especially the families, as for myself I could live on sandwiches but I have to feed my little munchkins otherwise they might start eating the canvas, actually my youngest will still probably chew on the canvas... he's teething...

I am thinking of taking the electric frypan and a 2 burner gas cooker with flat hotplate thingy for bbq'ing.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:08 pm

Depends who's cooking ... if it's my wife then it's some you beaut 'full on' meal ... if it's me then it's a BLT .. with three layers of bacon ... 8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby elpaulos » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:56 am

For my money, If overnighting or even 2 nights, snags,shnitzles(?)and baked beans or spag from a tin for lunch dinner. Take heaps of easy eating fruit ie watermelon grapes oranges apples(that don't need peeling) mangoes all that stuff. Kids love it.

Brekkie see how many weet-bix you can pack in the tupperware. For the adult brekkie eggs bacon and flame grilled toast.

My tip:After 3pm hide all bikkies snacks and crap(including over sweetened juices) food away from kids. They just fill up for the short term and won't be hungry for tea.

Marinade chicken/whatever in tupperware b4 u go and have egg noodles that soak in hot water to make an easy healthy meal for all. A camp oven (which I know nothing about) is probably a good investment for the longer stays if you have cold storage for roast meats and casseroles.

But DON'T forget your beer. For Gods sake. :?#

Alternatively you could take Naomi Robson. She apparently comes with camping clothes(animals and all) cooking facilities and make up trucks. And she can tell you news of the day. And you don't need electricity to turn her on 8) ooooo
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby mytribe » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:59 am

Breakfast is cereal and toast, mid morning is a fry up by the other half.

Lunch is usually sandwiches

Tea either a bbq or meal in the camp oven.

We also take those Suimin noodle cups for quick and easy lunches, or quick meal while setting up. Just a sausage in bread sometimes will do them.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby HGMonaro » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:50 am

Fruit Loops, Salada's and Savoury Shapes, Sausages in bread with dead horse.

Ohh's that my std fishing trip diet!

Actually, in the camper we had toast and cereal for breaky, sandwiches for lunch and BBQ for tea. For the 1st night, it's sometimes handy to take a casserole or similar that you can heat up easy after setting up camp. We took 'pasta bake' and microwaved it!

Apples are one of the best 'snacks'
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:44 pm

Great thanks everyone!

We don't eat a lot of convenience food anymore, so I am rediscovering all my old pre-kids cooking habits! I picked up some stir through pasta sauce today, yum and easy. 2 min noodles for lunch sound great and I am with you Scolers on the BLT, my all time fav. I could seriously live on toasted sandwiches, ham, beetroot, cheese and tomato is another goody! (Actually anything rummaged out of the fridge will usually do me) Marinated chicken and noodles sounds delish, will have to try that one too!

And don't worry elpaulos DH will probably forget me or one of the kids before he forgets the beer!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Kramer » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:17 pm

Also for a treat for breakfast I have pancakes out of those bottles you shake with water, I take a heap cause everyone in the campsite wants them once you start cooking them!
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby elpaulos » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:24 pm

Yeah great idea Kramer. Those pancakes in a bottle are fantastic!! :+
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby mummeee74 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:17 pm

mmmm yum they are great, with golden syrup!

Yeah!! CT is arriving tomorrow or Thursday morning!! Woohoo I'm goin on holidays!! :?#
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:59 am

mummeee74 wrote:Yeah!! CT is arriving tomorrow or Thursday morning!! Woohoo I'm goin on holidays!! :?#

calm down mummeee, don't want you to super dissappionted when they tell you it didn't turn up! get excited when you lay eyes on it!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Kramer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:59 pm

lol i will buy a CT one day, in the meantime I am thinking of buying a Skyline mmnnn... Skyline.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Komodo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:07 pm

bumperony

Camping food for me and Kel normally consists of dinner on the way after work - what ever we can get our hands on - if any thing at all.

Breakfast - eggs toast bacon or fruit with yoghurt and fruit with honey or occasionally just toast but thats pretty rare. oh and the coffee.

Lunch - generally salad sandwiches or just a meat and salad platter. Generally served with a beer or three.

Afternoon tea - fruit or sometimes a little bit of fruit cake. Generally served with a cuppa tea or a fruit juice with vodka.

Dinner - Pasta, Steak, Roast, Asian of some kind (asian food is really easy to cook so really suits camp cooking). Pretty much anything we would eat at home we eat whilst camping. Normally served with a beer and a glass of wine.

After dinner - cheese platter with fruit & wine

Before bed - normally a quick cuppa and maybe a bit more of that fruit cake or some biscuits.

Just being the two of us and having a CF-80 (80 litre waeco fridge freezer) makes it fairly easy to take pretty much everything we want and more away with us. The biggest problem we have with having such a large fridge is having space for every thing else. so we are looking to alternatives for bedding to the current use of 2 foam matteresses. We went to a music festival over new years (pyramid rock festival) at phillip island. No gas allowed so we took the fridge and a 12V stove from DSE and 2 100ah batteries and we managed to cook all but 1 meal.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mummeee74 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:19 pm

Sorry missed a couple of replies here, call it christmas amnesia.

Anyway CT DID arrive WOOHooo :grin:

And we did go away Boxing day (that was fun trying to pack it and have xmas etc) perhaps next time I might wait another day (aaaah hindsight)

Also took waaaaay too much food.

But we learn't alot, so did our one year old who discovered zippers :? and a fast escape route under the annexe walls.

But back to the food, salads, salads, salads seem to be the way to go for us. Fairly fast to prepare when the munchkins are tugging on your leg which helps too. The fridge was great CF40 had heaps of space, although DH did put his beer elsewhere, which we have to work out either he drinks less :shock: or we buy a small cold box thingy just for his beer. As far as breakfast went, the kids ate cereal or toast and I usually missed out just trying to get things ready for the day, it was very hectic, but lots of fun, I look forward to them growing up just that little bit where they can ride their bike in the near vicinity without running off.

But we are off again the weekend after next so we are either suckers for punishment or we had some fun, probably a bit of both in all honesty.

Hey Komodo there seems to be an underlying theme to your meals!! And what's this bit about after dinner AND before bed snacks WOW you eat better camping than I do at home generally!! Sounds good and asian meals does sound like a good thing for next time, noodles and stir fry, just getting the kids used to it now so that will help next time around.

Thanks for tips everyone, they did help heaps.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Barby-Q » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:44 am

When we go camping the kids will have pancakes for breakfast everyday ,because they dont get them at home fot breakfast . We have bacon, eggs ,tomatoes and mushies or a toasted leg ham ,Gruyee cheese and dijon mustard sanga with a fried eggs on top (yolk must be runny). Lunch we all have crackers with cheese, tomato ,Salt and pepper
cold meat and salad rolled up in a pocket bread thingo.
Afternoon tea bacon and cheese damper or muffins cooked in the camp oven.
Dinner spit roast pork or chicken with vegies or Potatoes in their jackets. If its cold then lamb neck stew and dumplings .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby VADLEM » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:36 am

Were fairly similar to BBQ with our meals.. you need to pack smart if your on a long trip and using eskies. chooks and roasts frozen solid and put in sealed bags in the bottom... On our last day (usualy only four or five) I'll make a camp oven stew which I'll make after brekky and leave it hanging over the fire all day...mmmmmm.. camp oven pizzas are another good en... kids luv them.. let them make'em .... it's only up to your imagination...
DAVE & MEL + 3.6 KIDSImage
VADLEM
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations