newbie with dog needs car camping advice

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

newbie with dog needs car camping advice

Postby chezzy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:59 am

Hello

I am new here, I have been searching the net trying to gather information on travelling (camping) with dogs but the only 'dog friendly' listings I seem to come across are cottages and bed and breakfast places.

Basically we (my other half and I) just want to jump in the car with our dog and go 'car camping' for a few days over Christmas/new year.
We are based in Melbourne and had thought of the Great Ocean Road but may be open to other ideas. I am keen on wildlife photography also.

Our vehicle (2wd) would double as our accomodation - we arent towing a van and we wont be using a tent. Unfortunately we are now restricted to the busiest time of year so would be grateful of any tips, camp site/rest stop suggestions. We will be moving alot so no need to be in one spot for more than 1 or 2 days.

Thankyou in advance.
chezzy
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:29 am

Postby Kramer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:15 am

Best idea would be to figure out where you want to go and start ringing around most caravan parks will accept dogs if they are small and kept on leases while in the park.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
User avatar
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:07 pm
Location: Gladstone, QLD

Postby Scolers » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:33 am

I would also say that most places would be booked out by now so you could have problems locating accomodation ... although from your post you don't seem too bothered about that.

Dash into a camping store and grab a "Camping Places" camp guide (sorry I cant give you a title as I reside in WA). I'm sure there would be some good publications in somehwere like Ranger and/ or BCF.

Good luck!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:38 pm

there is a PDF listing of just about every campground and roadside stop floating around the 'net. It's called "campsites_vic_alphabet.pdf" (I have a copy on my PC but can't remember what site I found it on but a search should turn it up). It's organised alphabetically so you sorta have to know some names of where you want to go to locate things. it lists facilities and has a column if pets are welcome.

If you can't find it, yell out and I'll email (768MB) it to you.

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:26 pm
Location: Melb, Aust

Postby mytribe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:19 pm

This website may be of some help to you

http://users.tpg.com.au/viccamp/viccptowns.html

We're in Melb, we take the dog plus 4 kids camping, but we don't use camping grounds.

Most of our camping is done in State Forests, unfortunately it's not the best time at the moment to be staying in them, but all state forests you are able to take dogs camping. The only facilites provided are pit toilets as well.

Good luck finding something at this time of year, where you can take the dog.
mytribe
Post Machine!
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:23 pm
Location: Ferntre Gully, Victoria

Postby chezzy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:38 pm

Thanks folks for your responses. We are not very organised yet we want to head off tomorrow :grin:

I think we will just try our luck (might need lots of it).

Nige after some hunting I managed to find that list on the net, wasn't easy though. I havent browsed through it yet but thanks very much for the heads up!

Mytribe, that link is great too, many thanks.
chezzy
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:29 am

Have you thought of using a pet sitter?

Postby GetUpAndGo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:13 pm

Next time you're going camping and you can't find a campsite that takes dogs you could try a pet sitter.

Lonely Pets Club (http://www.lonelypetsclub.com.au) are all over Melbourne - you just leave your dog at home and they come to feed and walk them for you each day. They do other pets too. There must be companies offering similar services in other states.
GET UP AND GO!
GetUpAndGo
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:05 pm

Postby jollyroger » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:04 pm

I have a book somewhere around here that lists all the camping grounds and Caravan Parks Oz wide that allow dogs. I think some are dogs only and the owners have to on a leesh!

I look now for you :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: HORROR I found it.

It's called "Travelling With Pets" (Dogs-Cats-Horses)

This is the 1st edition 03.
You can get them from RAA, NRMA, RACV,RACQ,RAC,RACT & NT mob.

It's published with support of the RSPCA and 4Legs Pet Food.
Not sure if it's still around. Yell out if you get stuck. I can relay any info from it.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
User avatar
jollyroger
Camping Oracle
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:05 am
Location: Adelaide

Holidaying with Dogs

Postby GetUpAndGo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:05 am

There is also the old favourite book produced by Life.Be In It - "Holidaying with Dogs", not sure how much camping info is in it as I haven't got a copy on me, but you could contact Life Be In It to ask them.
GET UP AND GO!
GetUpAndGo
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:05 pm

Postby clackerz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:55 pm

HGMonaro wrote:there is a PDF listing of just about every campground and roadside stop floating around the 'net. It's called "campsites_vic_alphabet.pdf" (I have a copy on my PC but can't remember what site I found it on but a search should turn it up). It's organised alphabetically so you sorta have to know some names of where you want to go to locate things. it lists facilities and has a column if pets are welcome.

If you can't find it, yell out and I'll email (768MB) it to you.

Cheers, Nige


I've found the web link to the pdf file: (a little late from this post but may come in handy)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~corax/camp ... phabet.pdf

Here is another one that is quite useful - it has a map:
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_1266.pdf
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
User avatar
clackerz
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:32 pm
Location: Melbourne SE 'burbs

Postby Scolers » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:38 pm

chezzy wrote:Thanks folks for your responses. We are not very organised yet we want to head off tomorrow :grin:

I think we will just try our luck (might need lots of it).

Nige after some hunting I managed to find that list on the net, wasn't easy though. I havent browsed through it yet but thanks very much for the heads up!

Mytribe, that link is great too, many thanks.


JUST GO!!!

It's easy ... everything else is just for show or comfort ... :?#
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:41 pm

also for future reference...

we stayed at a park in Port Albert (not the one on the foreshore.. can't remember it's name at the moment!... better look it up! hang on... Seabank Caravan Park) that was dog friendly... in fact I think we were the only ones without a dog! They also allowed fires in fire bins (bin and wood supplied!) which was good.

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:26 pm
Location: Melb, Aust

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:13 am

clackerz wrote:
HGMonaro wrote:there is a PDF listing of just about every campground and roadside stop floating around the 'net. It's called "campsites_vic_alphabet.pdf" (I have a copy on my PC but can't remember what site I found it on but a search should turn it up). It's organised alphabetically so you sorta have to know some names of where you want to go to locate things. it lists facilities and has a column if pets are welcome.

If you can't find it, yell out and I'll email (768MB) it to you.

Cheers, Nige


I've found the web link to the pdf file: (a little late from this post but may come in handy)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~corax/camp ... phabet.pdf

Here is another one that is quite useful - it has a map:
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_1266.pdf


FYI - the parkweb site shows all sites that are dog friendly....
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
User avatar
clackerz
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:32 pm
Location: Melbourne SE 'burbs


Return to Introductions:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests