Stone Guard

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Stone Guard

Postby steady » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Hello all
just wanting to know is a stone guard worth having on a CT
I want to store my eski on the draw bar when traveling, and don't know if i will have enough room for the spare tyre, eski and the guard
Thx Steady :)
steady

Re: Stone Guard

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:46 pm

The stone guard is an absolute necessity IMO to protect the front of the CT and in your case the esky from stone chips etc.

You also mention the spare tyre being mounted up front....depending on how this is placed it could also cause stones to ricochet and hit the rear window of your vehicle.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:19 pm

It's always a good idea to protect the camper, A stone guard can be easily made from some shade cloth. just make sure you angle it downwards so it doesn't bounce back and hit the rear window.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:39 am

We have a stone guard on our CT.

We also have our spare mounted behind it and we also have the esky on top of the toolbox which is behind the spare.

Here are some pics to give you a better idea...

Last edited by xmasbaby67 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 am

Your pics don't seem to be working XB....or is it just my end??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:55 am

Not sure what's going on Gypsy will work on it????
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:56 am

xmasbaby67 wrote:Not sure what's going on Gypsy will work on it????

Can you see the pics XB??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:57 am

Got it now???? ::() Thank god it's Friday!!! :beer
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:13 am

Good girl.....

Now I have to say XB....if you are travellling up the highway the spare tyre mounted in an upright position like yours is fine...

BUT if you were travelling on dirt roads or in the outback, the stones thrown up by your vehicle tyres would pepper the rear of your vehicle including the window...a ricochet effect.

The rear wheels of your vehicle throw up the stones, they hit the rubber and then bounce back to hit the rear of your vehicle and can very easily break your rear window.....Please keep that in mind if you are going to do any off road driving.

Mud flaps on the vehicle are not enough to prevent this from happening.

Yes...I understand it is nice and neat and tidy and easy accessible.....BUT it is not a good position to have a tyre when travelling on dirt roads.

The other alternative would be to cover it with canvas or something that reduces the 'bounce' effect.

Overall it would be better not to have it there......

Remember this only applies for any dirt road driving....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:33 am

Where would be the best place to put the spare tyre then???? Dont like it on the tailgate either :roll: so any suggestions are most welcome. :cheers

I am a nice & neat type of person and it does look lovely!! :armsup

Would rock tamer mud flaps anywhere help???

Have been on dirt roads with it and so far so good but it only takes one rock though ::()
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:58 am

Only to a degree XB and why I say this is because the couple who travelled with me last year had a full length mud flap....it made little difference.

We did protect our rear windows with 3mm ply cut to shape and put on the rear window with silicone. At the end of the trip the silicone made it easy to remove and then just clean the glass with a blade.

This is ok for a particular trip but you would not want to get around all the time like it.

Yes my spare is mounted on the rear of my CT but then I do have a hard floor flip over style and the spare tyre carrier swings back out of the way. When I had my soft floor, the spare was mounted under the CT.

It is ok on the front if you can get it down behind the stone guard....all of it in behind the stone guard. So if it can be laid flat, but that does not look like an option on your CT XB.

If you can't get it underneath the CT...then either on top or sorry to say but a rear wheel swing away carrier is the only way to go.

There is also the option to cover it as I mentioned previously.

Have attached a pic of the other vehicle whcih also has a rear wheel carrier on the CT. In this I hope you can see the mud flap as well.

One other thing to consider with big mud flaps is the potential to over heat the diff/gearbox because of the lack of air flow.

There is anothr mud flap type which is made from the brush bits like you see around the wheel arches on trucks but I can remember the name of them.

Overall the best thing to do is find another place for the spare if possible or cover it....less expense too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Here is a pic of my CT and you car see the rear wheel carrier....it is still pretty neat and tidy XB and certainly easy enough to access & swings back out of the way.

This is just to give you an idea....not anything else. Try for under the CT is there is space.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:28 pm

Thanks Gypsy :armsup

We have a mate that's pretty good with welding etc so maybe a swing out one on the back would be the best....as hubby is not one to do mods himself, rather get someone who knows what they are doing....

At the moment we are mainly sticking to the black top and light/med dirt roads as we don't get much time off but down the track when we will tackle the big stuff we have a few mods in mind before we set off so this will definately be on the list. Thanks!! :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:32 pm

PS: Like your CT Gypsy and I'm glad someone else likes putting stickers on the back of their CT.....My dad pokes fun at us for doing that but he is in a van with a tyre cover with some corny saying about their "cubby house" so he can't talk.....hahaha :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:33 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:
At the moment we are mainly sticking to the black top and light/med dirt roads as we don't get much time off but down the track when we will tackle the big stuff we have a few mods in mind before we set off so this will definately be on the list. Thanks!! :+

Good plan XB, obviously not something you have to rush into.

It is something for others who are setting up their CTs, stone guards etc to keep in mind though.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Camper Trailers