Good gear, bad gear

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Good gear, bad gear

Postby Lin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:31 am

Nothing like a week-long winter camping trip to re-assess your gear. Some positive, some negative.

Oztrail pantry (http://www.tentworld.com.au/showitem.aspx?item=18218): I adore it! It's so easy to set up and it's really practical. I hate a messy campsite (funny, because my house often looks like a pig-sty!).
Lifetime table (http://www.kellyscamping.com.au/p/10952 ... table.html): Like it too. Big and sturdy. Easy to pack up and fits nicely in the boot.
Black Wolf Mojave SG4 tent (http://www.kellyscamping.com.au/p/97266 ... -sg4-.html): Still not sure. What I like most is the skylights! But I am still having trouble setting it up so the fly doesn't touch the inner tent. A problem I never had with my Coleman, no matter how rushed a job setting it up was. I also regret getting the fully enclosed annex. I rarely zip it up anyway! And the rain gets in easily and then there's no easy way to get the puddles off the floor. Also, the pegs are really bad quality! Easy to replace, but for that price, I'd expected better quality accessories.
Black Wolf sleeping bags (: Cosy warm. I don't mind the tapered shape for winter, but I'll take our old rectangular ones in summer. And the hood annoys me because I don't use it so it gets in the way.
Tarp poles: all but the Coi Leisure ones it seemed were cr@p
Tarp: glad I shelled out on a good thick one from the camping store.
One-burner butane stoves (http://www.campingworld.com.au/site/pro ... issubid=25): I like cooking on them and there's so easy to light and pack. But one annoying thing about them is that those butane bottles run out so fast. But what's worse is that once the gas gets low, it still burns but only on low and you wait forever for the water to boil. I think I'll finally shell out on a good Coleman 2 or 3 burner and use those Coleman propane bottles instead.
Gauze toaster (http://www.downundercamping.com.au/prod ... 640&page=1): Finally worked out how to use it! And love it.

And to top it off, do you know what is one of my favourite camping things? Paper plates and paper towel!!! Less dishes. And I also wipe greasy plates and pans with the paper towel before I put them in the tub. That way the water lasts longer. And when we're done with them, they get used to light the fire. Works especially well if they're drenced in bacon fat!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Good gear, bad gear

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:48 pm

Lin wrote:
Gauze toaster (http://www.downundercamping.com.au/prod ... 640&page=1): Finally worked out how to use it! And love it.

I would LOVE $5 for every person I have seen over time who does not how to use these Lin....so don't feel too bad about it.

There is a thread on here about these toasters too and IMO it is one of the best threads ever.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks for the link, Gipsy. I'm pretty happy with my cheap toaster!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:10 pm

Lin wrote: I'm pretty happy with my cheap toaster!

And so is everyone else who uses this style of toaster Lin, me included.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:50 pm

Lol i know the thread,i should have patented that 3 burner stove /3 gauze toaster idea.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:Lol i know the thread,i should have patented that 3 burner stove /3 gauze toaster idea.

It's definitely one of the better ones PJ....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:58 pm

How do you use these toasters?
Having never used one I am curious.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:28 pm

You put it with the gauze side down on the burner and put your toast on the wires on the top (I used to put it inside the thing!) The gauze will go red hot, as someone mentioned in the toaster thread, rather unevenly, but it definitely adds to the charm. Only takes a few seconds on each sides. Or until the crust starts smoking. :lol:
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:31 pm

There you Go I learnt something today,I would have done it the opposite.
Ta muchly
Titch
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:49 pm

Most people put the toaster upside down on the flame and then try and toast on the gauze.....

How did you come about finding out the right way Lin??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Maybe Lin read the instructions?
Not a manly thing to do :grin:
Titch
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:55 pm

titch wrote:Maybe Lin read the instructions?
Titch

I don't recall any instructions coming with mine when I purchased it......
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:26 pm

No instructions indeed. I didn't even figure it out myself. A friend got a lightbulb moment when trying his!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:58 am

Lin wrote:No instructions indeed. I didn't even figure it out myself. A friend got a lightbulb moment when trying his!

Well it's great however it happened Lin.....they are definitely one of the best camp items to have.

The first one I had was a Primus folding one and it lasted for about 15 years....the worst of it was that you cannot buy the SS gauze to replace when it finally dies otherwise it would still be going. My current one (the replacement) is several years old now as well, though not sure what the brand is.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scott S » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:05 pm

Lin wrote: One-burner butane stoves (http://www.campingworld.com.au/site/pro ... issubid=25): I like cooking on them and there's so easy to light and pack. But one annoying thing about them is that those butane bottles run out so fast. But what's worse is that once the gas gets low, it still burns but only on low and you wait forever for the water to boil. I think I'll finally shell out on a good Coleman 2 or 3 burner and use those Coleman propane bottles instead.

How long do the butane bottles last? Just so I can work out how many to take for a weekend away.
Scott S
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Gear Guide