How to set up a tarp

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: How to set up a tarp

Postby Rosco532 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Doesn't really make much difference how big the tarp is...so much easier to handle,,,,especially when theres only one doing the erection...and will replace any need for using ropes tied to trees etc.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:10 pm

Picture of a spreader bar is warranted.
Or a Tarp picture contest.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:25 pm

Yes, tarp pics! Or even better, videos of setting them up. :)

I considered the spreader bar. But not sure how I'll manage if I have to put it on on my own. Though I'm already getting some ideas!

The ropes I'm using are not the very thin nylon tent ones. Though I must say that I did use a couple of those that my friend had because I was 2 short and they slipped less than mine! Mine have a really useless adjustment thingy (tech term). I actually threw the thickest ones I had out after I took down the tarp because they were just impossible to slide up or down, but slipped nevertheless. The other ones I kept as emergency spares. They really hurt my hands though.

Ok, so better ropes: tick.
Spreader bar: tick.
Any advice on poles? I don't like the wingnut system. They didn't stay up.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Lin wrote:Yes, tarp pics! Or even better, videos of setting them up. :)

I considered the spreader bar. But not sure how I'll manage if I have to put it on on my own. Though I'm already getting some ideas!

The ropes I'm using are not the very thin nylon tent ones. Though I must say that I did use a couple of those that my friend had because I was 2 short and they slipped less than mine! Mine have a really useless adjustment thingy (tech term). I actually threw the thickest ones I had out after I took down the tarp because they were just impossible to slide up or down, but slipped nevertheless. The other ones I kept as emergency spares. They really hurt my hands though.

Ok, so better ropes: tick.
Spreader bar: tick.
Any advice on poles? I don't like the wingnut system. They didn't stay up.

:idea: Lin.
When tying loads we use a Hairy rope as they bite on themselves.
Non Hairy ropes slip.
Use this idea when buying tie rope.
Hope that makes Sense.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco532 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:57 pm

Lyn,,,to protect the wooden tensiors from slipping...I wrap black tape around them to stop them slipping.....
The pic with the camper in it is using our small tarp...tidy & easy to put up.....place the spreader about 1/2 way along and put the poles through the holes...put the guy ropes on at this stage....then stand it up (we have the tarp over it as well at this stage....bang in the pegs and your 1/2 way there....its now, that we normally put the 4 corner poles in....then work back to the middle pole.
Avis 'always' has to get me to go back and tighten up her wing nuts (i keep telling her to take a spanner with her,,,,but she forgets.

Sorry Lyn...I meant to mention that our spreader 'consertenas' (spelling)....so this way,,,one does all size tarps.

As you can see,,,the one with the camper in it only has the one rope on it at the front and still stays very safe and secure (we tie it onto the bull bar....but we were just heading out for a cruise)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:10 pm

Here is a pic I borrowed of Argle's tarp set up in the Pictures of Your Campsite thread. Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=106&t=2430

This is definitely one of the better setups you will see. It has the potential to drop a side or corner when it rains and gives good coverage in the normal position from the sun.

Double ropes on all 4 corners with tensioners and springs and a rope in every eyelet is the best way to deal with windy conditions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Looks like its obviously a personal choice wether you prefer more ''run-off'' at the time of erecting your tarp...

cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:53 am

On this occasion Rosco I think Lin was looking more at successfully surviving the windy conditions that she endured rather than rain and 'run off'......
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:31 pm

My main goal is to make sure that it stays up, keeps our gear dry and that I have to adjust it as little as possible!

They're impressive set-ups. I've neve been able to get my tarp that taut!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:38 pm

Lin wrote:
I've neve been able to get my tarp that taut!

That where the springs and tensioners come into play Lin.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:52 pm

Looks like I'm never going to be correct on this one Gypsy....But trust me,,,,The winds will also ricochet better off a roof thats already pointing on a downhill slant.
You are entitled to your thoughts,,,,But , I will be sticking with my tried & tested method.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Rosco532 wrote: Looks like I'm never going to be correct on this one Gypsy

The winds will also ricochet better off a roof thats already pointing on a downhill slant.

That's the whole idea of dropping a side Rosco....which is exactly what Lin has mentioned she did not do on this occasion; she already knew the principle but did not apply it.

The only difference here is that you support the ridge pole theory and I say it is not necessary for a small tarp which is set up with correct number of poles, springs and tensioners.....otherwise we are both on the same page.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Stay away from those Coleman shelters Lin as I have seen first hand how easy they end up a mangled mess.

We camp out at Wyangala Dam often and it's ALWAYS windy when we camp out there and this Coleman thingo was a real mess. :--?

Not sure you will be able to do the spreader bar on your own as I couldn't trying to get the other side in the eyelet and rope on without the other side coming off....I spat it like you and chucked the spreader bar in the end :-bang

We always use poles like these:

http://supapeg.com.au/products.htm

Ropes like this:

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/default.aspx?pid=106176#Description

hope this helps Lin
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby jeni99 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:22 pm

What I have learnt so far:

How not to set up a tarp..

tarp-first-go.gif

What I can manage to do with what we have which works okay in the rain...

tarp-in-rain.gif

We need to get a spreader bar - the tarp is 6x6m and the instructions say we need a pole every 2.5m or something around there. We just have the one pole in teh middle with a yellow helmet on it which is kinda scary! lol We need to get springs too.

How I set it up... I lay the tarp flat where I want it, lay the poles out pointing in to the tarp. I hammer in the pegs half way, about half the length of the pole out from the tarp. I start with the middle pole and only erect it to the non-extended height of the pole. I then get the kids to hold the posts while I quickly do the four corners (they are double ropes on those). Once I have the basic structure up, I start extending the poles to the hieghts I want based on where the wind/sun is coming from. I am most likely doing it all wrong though given we have only put it up three times!

I have read somewhere that in high winds you should throw some rope over the top of the tarp from corner to corner to help brace it.
Jeni
jeni99
Boy Scout

Postby Lin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:34 pm

I then get the kids to hold the posts

I knew I should've had another one! :***

Impressive that you managed to set up a tarp that big that well. I've only set mine up twice so far and obviously not always with success. Hopefully I'll get lots more practice.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations