Firewood

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Firewood

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:50 pm

I'd go the block splitter with long handle Lin....used these in my teenage years when chopping wood for Mum when Dad was away with work.

It is different from an axe as one end of the head is really quite big and the blade at the other end....like this:-

http://thumb9.shutterstock.com.edgesuite.net/display_pic_with_logo/324472/324472,1239254213,3/stock-photo-an-axe-splitting-wood-with-a-stock-pile-of-stacked-wood-in-the-background-28201921.jpg

Is like yours???
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco532 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:14 am

This Wood you guys are getting from the likes of BUNNINGS.....I hope its not being used for things like open BBQ's or roasting marshmellows etc.....be very carefull of treated wood when burning....it contains 'arsnic along with other dangerous chemicals.....

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:59 am

We always get our wood locally. This time from a local farm. It was great wood. Very dry and burnt beautifully. Just too big!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:40 am

If it's a local guy you could ask him to split it into smaller pieces for you Lin...may cost a little more but will be easier for you.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:46 pm

I get bulk firewood for cooking and taking camping etc.

IMG_0065 (Small).jpg

Because my shoulders have been screwed back together, I am unable to swing an axe in anger without doing harm.
We resize our wood with this,

IMG_0067 (Small).jpg

cost $230 and being Hydraulic ( 20 tonne pressure) makes the job easy.
Too Bl@@dy heavy to take camping tho.
Titch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:09 pm

My SIL has one of these, a petrol driven one on wheels and it is great....little bit more expensive than yours Titch but cost aside....they do the same job.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:07 pm

I watched a demonstration of one of those manual ones on Youtube the other day, Titch. Looks great. Unfortunately have no room in my car to take wood from home.

I watched a few videos on alternative ways of splitting wood. This one looked tempting, but probably a dud: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_olacH1hlWg (Gotta love that soundtrack though!)

But this one impressed me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-8eZKQJ ... TnaQxyu3bE (safe to skip the first minute of this) I want to try that! But with a 'slightly' smaller log. I hardly have any muscle power!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:40 am

Lin wrote: I want to try that! But with a 'slightly' smaller log. I hardly have any muscle power!

I am with you Lin, I have no power in my arms or shoulder and have a dodgy shoulder as well. I use a similar method; only I use a small tomahawk with a sledge hammer and basically let the weight of the hammer do all the work.

I do also not have big logs to split but more reasonable sizes as my SIL cuts up the timber (with his fabulous block splitter) in more manageable sizes for me to carry and split.

For me it is still not the easiest but I can get it small enough to have sufficient wood to get the fire going so that I can then put the bigger bits on and not run the risk of smothering the fire.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:34 pm

as mentioned earlier in the thread, if i'm going to a place that you need to take wood, i usually have some from a previous trip in a bag. I buy it from the servo and keep it at home. I think the wood from servos may not be that dry so if you leave it at home for 6 months under cover it seems to work pretty well.

Also, i'm a bit against axes, they are made for people in the 20s? to chop green trees down. I would not recommend anyone using an axe ever! Ok so that may sound over the top but hey it's friday and i'm stuck at work waiting for drinks/home time :beer

I don't see when there's ever a need for an axe. They are basicly useless bit's of heavy metal that are quite dangerous and i never use one. I use to but then i decided i didn't want to risk injury, because that kind of spoils your weekened when you have to drive to a hospital an hour away for stitches (no it wasn't me :--? )

If you're in the bush and have access to wood on the ground, you can drag logs across the fire which is quite easy.

I also roll my eyes when someone pulls out a chainsaw too, but i haven't seen anyone hurt with one yet so i'm not dead against them yet :lol:

hey look, that's a bit of a rant there isn't it ... oops.. is it home time yet :cheers
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:51 pm

stevo wrote:... oops.. is it home time yet :cheers

If I have to stay at work...so do you Steve.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:55 pm

You guys have it great !!!!!!..Think of me later....just heading off to work :(
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:08 pm

Rosco532 wrote:You guys have it great !!!!!!..Think of me later....just heading off to work :(

WHAT do you mean Rosco....you've been home ALL DAY!!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Can't take wood in the car as no room. So if the wood on the ground or that we buy isn't dry enough, the only way to get it burning is by chopping it in smaller bits.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Lin wrote: the only way to get it burning is by chopping it in smaller bits.

I agree Lin.......It also makes it easier to handle.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby hoadie72 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:42 pm

Lin wrote:Can't take wood in the car as no room. So if the wood on the ground or that we buy isn't dry enough, the only way to get it burning is by chopping it in smaller bits.

Plan ahead and age your bought wood if you have space :)

When I was a skinny 12yo I was in charge of chopping the wood. We had a food fired hot water system & stove so I was doing it 52 weeks a year for a few years.

At that age I doubt I would have been any stronger than a grown woman, and for the most part I don't think I had any major issues. I think it came down to two things - technique and using dry wood. For example, if the axe gets stuck, don't try and pull it out, but turn the axe around in your hands 180 degrees and swing the axe down onto the axe head. The weight of the wood will force itself deeper onto the axe and either split the wood or at least dislodge it.

Maybe a third thing - a sharp axe. A tomahawk won't give you any leverage when swinging, plus the heads aren't all that big are they?
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat