camping theft????

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

camping theft????

Postby joi » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:56 pm

Hi everyone.

I am quite new here, and although I have been reading many of your posts, I haven't found any tips addressing this issue yet.

Is there already a thread dealing with this that you can direct me to?

What I am after is any ideas on how to secure your camping gear while you are away from your site during the day?

Any ideas?

Do you have much stuff go missing?

Last time we went camping, the locals made us almost too paranoid to leave the site with stories of people coming through raiding. It didn't develope into too much of an issue though, as we hit a cyclone - not much chance to go out. :shock:

We are hoping for better weather this time, but also plan to be away from camp for a bit.

Any help would be appreciated.
joi

Postby mytribe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:24 pm

We've only done short stays so far(camping for longer than 2-3 days with 4 kids, 3 of them being young is just a tad too stressful on me just yet), anyway we've never had an issue with things going missing.

We take any valuables with us whilst out, and pack most of the rest into the front of the tents and zip em up.

I always assumed there was a written law that you didn't touch another campers belongings.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby joi » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:32 pm

Thanks for your reply. I guess I am maybe paranoid, but we have just bought a new 3 way that set us back a bit, and don't like the thought of it going walking while we're out.

We plan to run it on gas while we are stopped, so I don't think I could cover it or put it in the tent.
joi

Postby Kramer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:25 am

I have only had my mobile phone stolen (thank god, I hated it) in Townsville we were warned previously about theft in this park and I forgot that my phone was out during the night, other than that I have never had a problem. Most of the time things won't get pinched during the day and you are there most of the time during the night. All my expensive gear is either in the tent with me or locked on the car, your fridge could also be locked in the car with the windows down a little while on gas but not for a great deal of time, while your driving you could also take the fridge with you on 12V. There is an unwritten law not to steal others camping gear but it does happen, heed warnings from locals and other campers.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:46 am

We've done a lot of trips in the CT and mainly stay in caravan parks and so far have been lucky enough not to have had anything taken. We also have a lockable tool box bolted onto the CT but tend not to use it as we're very trusting ... :armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby joi » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:45 am

Thanks for your replies everyone. I am feeling a *little* bit better about it.

Last question - if your stuff does go, can you claim it on your insurance?

I sure do think I would have a more relaxed camp holiday if I had planned to *rough it* it a bit more :? :grin:
joi

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:07 am

joi wrote:Thanks for your replies everyone. I am feeling a *little* bit better about it.

Last question - if your stuff does go, can you claim it on your insurance?

I sure do think I would have a more relaxed camp holiday if I had planned to *rough it* it a bit more :? :grin:

Check your household insurance. Most of them will cover you if you have stuff stolen while camping. If not give them a call and I am sure they will add it to the policy.

Have been camping ever since I can remember. The only things we had stolen was washing off the clothes line.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Scolers » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:16 pm

derek wrote:
joi wrote:
Have been camping ever since I can remember. The only things we had stolen was washing off the clothes line.

Derek

Not your g - strings I hope ... ;)

:?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby elpaulos » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:18 pm

Or fishnet singlets. :o

I have one policy "Touch the beer and you DIE" Not much else deserves a criminal record.

Oh except my fishnets and g-strings!! :***
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:34 pm

I've never had a problem, staying mostly in Nat Parks and State forests that are a fair way out of town. I'd take a guess that if anyone were to steal something it would be hoodlums (excuse the old fart terminoligy :mrgreen: ) from the surrounding areas, not so much other campers. So on that note as long as the campsite isn't deserted I cant see there being a problem :? I always take my wallet/keys/phone though. Everything else has little resale value or would be hard to palm off if stolen so I feel it aint a huge risk.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby jollyroger » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:20 pm

Having a Staffy tied to the door of the Camper Trailer really helps.
People won't even try to see if she's friendly when tied to the front door!
We have never had anything stolen even when the dog couldn't come. But have heard of people's eskies being raided at night by kids looking for booze. That happens a lot at Edithburgh in SA. They come from the town in the dead of night and raid what ever they can see.
Best advise - Buy a dog!
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby mummeee74 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:25 pm

I was also concerned about this as well, our first trip away etc. Turned out the park we were staying in was completely fenced and you needed a key to access any of the gates, plus there was a security guard patrolling the park at night and they did seem to do a good job, but I think it was more for a "local" problem than other campers, I think during the day when people are around the tents people would notice other people that shouldn't be there. Having said all that we are going to install a tool box and bolt it to the CT, I am going to insulate and keep my camera gear in there, can't keep it in the car it will get too hot, so more for peace of mind.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Return to Camping Tips and Locations