Forum Suggestion / Proposal

Forum Rules, post questions, comments or suggestions, about this forum or website.

Forum Suggestion / Proposal

Postby stevo. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:07 pm

I have been working on my proposal for the camping forum again, just wondering if others would like to comment on it. I understand that Activity Guy (admin) is currently in the middle of trying to get a new website happening for the main camping.com.au site (which is separate for this forum), so while he's doing that i thought i'd try to push for some "improvements" for the forum design. It's a pretty contraversial topic as there's as many different opinions as there are members, but hey, it's part of the conspiracy by the government to keep us busy so why not get involved.

Here's my suggestion: http://oz20.com/camping/

Please ignore the template/theme - i was just working on the forum sections and trying to reduce the amount of sections while still accomodating everything, themes can be worked on later.

Basicly it's "rearranging" of forum sections, as i believe there's too many at the moment and it's too confusing for newbies to work out. We get a lot of new members/traffic through here but not many actually stick around. I believe we can improve the site by making a few simple changes, so lets move forward and stop the boats... oh hang on that's been used aleady hasn't it?

anyways, i'm after some feedback, if you think there's not enough sections/forums or there's something i've missed have a bit of a rant and we'll have a throw back and forth with ideas? I think i've covered everyone and any of the current sections can be moved in to these new/simplier/less confusing sections.

So, with any luck, Activity Guy (admin) will have a look and we can clean this place up. *evil laugh*

Timeframe: Given we're all pretty relaxed here, i don't have a timeframe in mind, i just thought it'd be an ongoing discussion, and if we could get a few people to throw a few ideas around and agree, maybe in the future we could make some changes.

wholy molly, it's friday night and i've had few Jim Beams so excuse my long bizzare posts :lol:
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Re: Forum Suggestion / Proposal

Postby Titch » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:16 pm

I agree with how messy the forum can appear to some and that is NOT a complaint.
Not too many sub subsections tho as it will again get messy.
I think most sections could be followed on instead of a new post each time.
Friday funny is one.
Sticky post may work under sections like F A Q maybe for overseas visitors etc etc .
Hope the J B,s are working.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:39 pm

stevo wrote:We get a lot of new members/traffic through here but not many actually stick around.

I think that is just the nature of forums in general.....and I doubt very much that changing it will make any difference to this behaviour.

People come, get the info they want and move on AND no amount of change or doing things differently will make any impact on that.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:52 pm

I'm pretty postive about being able to change that GP :grin:

People will not come back for various reasons, we can reduce the amount of reasons.
stevo.

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:00 pm

It is not about them coming back Steve....it is about them staying in the first place and I am going to have to disagree with you on this one.

There is no forum that keeps all it members all of the time or even a good potion of the same members all the time....even the specificially related forums.

I am equally positive that changing the forum will make little or no difference in that regard.

Yes I agree that some of the sub categories should go, many are unnecessary and not being used.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:13 pm

I understand what you're saying and agree, i just mean, we can do some improvements which will hopefully keep those new members that sign up. There's some work to be done and the forum sections are just one part of that. I would like to get more involved with the running of the forum as i think i could help the forum a fair bit with different ideas, one being to get things happening, which is one problem this forum has had over the years.

I believe change is good.

I like the saying "always do what ya always done,and ya always get what ya always had" .
stevo.

Postby Titch » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:21 pm

You folks are confusing me, and its not hard too.
Steve do you help run,own the forum.
G L do you help run ,own the forum?
Actually who does run the forum/site, its very hard to find out.
All I get is Ozzicamperboy,Activity-Dept and Joy.
Not a whine but curious.
Now I am scatching my head.
Love this forum tho.
Titch
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:32 pm

I don't own/run the forum, just like to get involved and create interest :cheers

GP, she's just lives here

activity dept is the forum admin, so we'll call him the owner :cheers
stevo.

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:51 pm

Activity Dept is the forum owner and yes I am a moderator as well as Ozzycamperboy
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks for the heads up G Lady, I had my head fuzzin for a time there.
Why are you not in red? you color blind or am I ?
R O F L M A O
Titch
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:17 pm

Sorry I digressed badly and I do apologise to Stevo.
What is the plan to push forward.
I am interested in a plan to do this, more interested than the coming Election.
Lay out the Battle Plan and we will Debate.
Titch
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco532 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:32 am

Steveoooo...This time its hard to argue with Gypsy....I also have been around forums for a number of years..and yes...you can have 10...to 10,000 members and you will still always get the odd doz or so making the noise....no matter how many apples you offered the rest...they are here to get info...or some just sign up to get in the front door...then bolt...
I certainly admire your positivity & ''get up & go''....sometimes the odd person...or two...need to put their hand on the element to find out that it is indeed hot....as was advised by the older experience person....only to find out it was true....

You also have to remember....this is also a very hard time of the year to keep campers involved in discussion about camping.....(bit hard when you look outside & see it raining & cold...this is where that odd dozen I was talking about...the true camp lovers ...keep things going...)..here again ...you learn not to worry

We are lucky to have a pretty diverse bunch of loyal campers onboard...to keep us informed & amused during these times

Take care......
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:32 pm

Interesting thread.

I have my own forum and while I have nearly 500 members there are only a regular 25 or so who post. If you haven't seen it have a look. http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com But in saying that the traffic I get from people just looking is amazing with it not being uncommon to have 500 different IP's looking in a 24 hour period. Also I can cross reference IP's to members and a majority of those returning time and time again are members who have never made a post.

Forums do two things. They provide a place for people to discuss matters of interest and enjoy fellowship and also a terrific resource for others. This forum has both as has mine.

I build YaBB Forums and over the years have created literally dozens of them. I always keep the URL so I can go back and have a look occasionally but reckon 95% have just disappeared. They simply come and go as do the members.

I personally don't like this software and don't post that often but I reckon I would log on here nearly every day. I read, I smile, I chuckle, sometimes make a comment and quite often I read something that has me saying, "Wow, that's a great idea"

Here are the current stats from my mates forum - Ausfish, one of the biggest forums in Australia. Threads: 107,366, Posts: 1,086,668, Members: 72,748 In all of that there are roughly 150 regular contributors.

Does everyone realise that the membership of this forum also shares the same database as a dating site, hence the high number of members yet small number of contributors.

Forums are fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Rosco532 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:59 pm

Derek...Is this 'sharing' with dating agencies a common thing ?...I have to admit, I have seen a number of forums with them showing,,,but always to scared to have a look incase I pick up a virus...or get entered into their contact list (besides...Avis would break my legs...lol)

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:31 pm

Rosco532 wrote:Derek...Is this 'sharing' with dating agencies a common thing ?...I have to admit, I have seen a number of forums with them showing,,,but always to scared to have a look incase I pick up a virus...or get entered into their contact list (besides...Avis would break my legs...lol)

Cheers

Not that I am aware of. I think it was just the way this site was originally set up.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Next

Return to Forum Rules, Questions & Comments.