What cookware do you use?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

What cookware do you use?

Postby hoadie72 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:18 pm

I had a look my camping pots & pans today and noticed they're looking a bit worse for wear. It's a cheap set I bought from Coles/Kmart/Woolworths (I really don't remember!), and have a non-stick coating that's wearing off from being stacked inside each other.

The set comprises a pot with glass lid, small frying pan (too small really, only fits a small-ish steak!), small pot. Last big trip I actually took an old stainless steel frying pan but it takes up a little too much room because of the handle.

I bought this set last year thinking that with the way the gear stacks and is compact would make for good cooking gear but it's a little lightweight and the lid actually melted onto the pan!

Image Image

As I'll be looking for some new gear in the next month, I'm interested in hearing what other people use, if they're happy with them, and why.

ps one thing I'll be looking at are Tefal's range of stacking cookware.

http://www.tefal.com.au/All+Products/Co ... okware.htm
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Re: What cookware do you use?

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:00 pm

Cast iron camp ovens and a cast iron skillet :)
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Rosco532 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:11 am

I'm with Derek on this one, although, We use our old copper pots for on the gas stove..mainly because we can get 2 pots on each gas ring when steaming veges etc...
Hoadie, If you are using Teflon non stick pans....Place a sheet of hand towel between them when travelling......

(Of course, these became 'old' pots....after Avis got her 'new' ones...lol)
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:37 am

I bought a set from Camping World that I've had a for a couple of years now. Can't find the brand. I think it cost about $80ish. It has folding handles as I didn't want to be searching for the pot holder all the time. I've been very happy with it. Even used it on the hot coles a couple of times and it survived, although I now cannot get the outside looking clean anymore.

It has 3 pots and a pan. The pan is too small too and I do have to take a separate pan too. I remember seeing a skillet with a removable handle a while back, but now I can't find it anymore. I also have a Coleman non-stick BBQ plate which I will use again instead of a pan once I buy myself a proper 2 or 3-burner stove again.

It looks a bit like this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Non-Stick-Campin ... 2a0889dbbb
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:33 am

We use the dreampot a lot, 2 pots inside.
A very heavy based stainless frypan.
Spun steel camp oven, the lid can be used as a frypan as well..
Fold out BBQ plate and Grill.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby hoadie72 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Lin wrote:I bought a set from Camping World that I've had a for a couple of years now. Can't find the brand. I think it cost about $80ish. It has folding handles as I didn't want to be searching for the pot holder all the time. I've been very happy with it. Even used it on the hot coles a couple of times and it survived, although I now cannot get the outside looking clean anymore.

It has 3 pots and a pan. The pan is too small too and I do have to take a separate pan too. I remember seeing a skillet with a removable handle a while back, but now I can't find it anymore. I also have a Coleman non-stick BBQ plate which I will use again instead of a pan once I buy myself a proper 2 or 3-burner stove again.

It looks a bit like this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Non-Stick-Campin ... 2a0889dbbb

Thanks guys for your feedback. I like cast iron but it's a bit on the heavy side for me as I am a car camper and am trying to keep the weight down. And if I'm camping solo I tend not to have a fire.

Along the lines of what you've posted Lin, I found this at Anaconda today for $49:

They are a bit big to use both on a 2 burner stove but I use a single burner butane stove and a bottle with a single burner on top as a backup, so this would work for me.
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:28 pm

We use our Campoven most of winter and then I just have two cheap non stick frypans from Go-Lo and store them with teatowels in between them. Also have two different sized non stick saucepans with lids that I also got from Go-Lo....have had them for over 4 years and so far so good even with the kids using them for pancakes every time we camp. :armsup

We also have one of these we use over the campfire and have a cast iron frypan.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BBQ-CAMPFIRE-COOKING-and-CAMPING-/190394683556?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2c546850a4

I will buy the complete Tefal set when we are using our CT on a more permanent basis. They are my dream set but are VERY expensive!!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GollyGee » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:29 pm

I just take my stuff from home - frypan, saucepan (sometimes steamer), coffee pot - and do all our cooking on the gas cooker. If we're staying somewhere where we can have a fire we'll do baked potatoes in foil & marshmallows on a stick, but that's about it.

I'm sure I could reduce the packing size with a dedicated cookware set, but I don't think they'd perform as well as my trusty home stuff (cast iron frypan & heavy based saucepan) so I'll stick with those 'til I need smaller for hiking or something.
GollyGee
Camping King

Postby Lin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:46 pm

so I'll stick with those 'til I need smaller for hiking or something.

Or until you have to fit a child, a big dog and a whole lot of other camping gear in a little Astra? :lol:

I like that my pots fit into my compact kitchen box. That way the kitchen gear is always ready to go and all I have to do is put it in the car when I pack.

I'd love one of those Tefal pans but indeed: very expensive!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GollyGee » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:43 pm

Well minus the dog, I use to squeeze everything into a Mitsubishi Mirage. I had a couple watch me pack up camp one trip. They later told me they were sitting there making jokes "check this out, she's got no hope" sorta comments and as I put in the last items they came over to tell me how impressed they were with my efforts! Everything else compacts down nicely, just not pots and pans. Go me!

That way the kitchen gear is always ready to go and all I have to do is put it in the car when I pack.

I'd like to be that organised, to have all my camping gear always ready to go, but I don't think it would ever happen (and I seem to modify what I take to the location & people I'm with).
GollyGee
Camping King

Postby hoadie72 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm pretty much in the same boat as both of you - I have everything pretty much pre-packed, ready to go, but I do make modify my packing depending on which car I'm taking, who I'm going with or trip duration. In theory it would mean I'm less likely to forget things but in practice it's not quite the case!
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby GollyGee » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:40 pm

Oh one thing I am finding is working well is my kitchen cutlery stuff. I bought a giant pencil case for kitchen & cutlery things and keep a list in it of everything I need to pack for a trip - knives, forks, spoons, lighter, flipperer, peeler, mini chopping board, table cloth clips (I pack a bright white table cloth because it amuses me to have a fine dining table), goblet, stubby holder. Most things stay packed, and a quick glance at the list will remind me of anything I need to add for a trip. Marvy!
GollyGee
Camping King

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:18 am

I don't go camping with out my cast iron frypan. Just chuck it on the fire for 2 mins and it's ready to be cooked on. I have a little cheap teflon coated pan to use on the gas stove, It mainly see's the bacon and eggs in the morning, But the 3-4 times I've used it it's getting a little warped and the non stick coating isn't sticking to the pan. :D

I've also bought a cast iron jaffle iron which is awesome for those midnight snacks. Lately I've been using the camp oven and love it.

Yes they are some of the heaviest items that I take camping, but I wouldn't go with out them. :armsup
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:49 am

I never seem to use my campoven. It always seems like such a hassle... Maybe in summer when we don't mind eating a bit later.

I couldn't do without my frying pan. It's a decent quality non-stick one and I've had no issues with using it on my camping stove. Is great for making pancakes too, which my daughter convinced me to do three times on our last trip. I always buy stuff like that at Harris Scarf at at least 60% off the normal retail price.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:08 pm

We find the trick with the campoven Lin is to put it on about 2pmish and then check it a couple of times during the arvo and so at dinnertime it's all done :armsup I find stews are the easiest, also roasts are just as easy. Also we find out here that winter is the best time to use it as summer out here we have Total Fire bans and cant use it.

Our girls cook pancakes EVERY morning we are camping....they even make sure I have the pancake shaker mix in the CT pantry before we head out. :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to Gear Guide