Trip from Melbourne to Brisbane

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Trip from Melbourne to Brisbane

Postby elevener » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:11 am

Dear campers.

I'm from Austria and me and my girlfriend (we are 24 years old) have hired a camper from 12th of Sept to 2nd of Oct starting in Melbourne and arriving in Brisbane.
Now we are looking for some nice places to stay. Of course we want especially visit the beautiful beaches, but we are also interested in the national parks aside the coast.

I already read some of your tips, where to go, but I'm kind of confused, where are the best places to stay in such a short time.

Thanks in advance for your answers!!!

Philipp.
elevener

Re: Trip from Melbourne to Brisbane

Postby BUSHGEAR » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi Philipp,

If you just take your van along the coast to the Gold Coast then head into Brisbane you will come across alot of nice places...too many to mention...you can't go wrong if you just do a few hours driving each day and then stop somewhere that looks good. The best holidays are those that aren't planned.
Leigh
www.BushGear.com.au
The #1 online store for all your outdoor needs
Get Online then Get Outdoors!
BUSHGEAR

Postby Lin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:03 pm

I can only comment on the NSW South Coast.

Mimosa Rocks National Park. Best spot there (and possibly the only one that you can reach with a camper?) is Gillard's Beach. Secluded beach front camping in the bush and the wildlife is so tame they'd steal the food out of your mouths if they could. Need to take water, toilets and firewood provided. Google it and you'll get all the info from the NSW parks website. There's heaps more on their site too: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/parks ... hCoast.htm They really are all nice and won't be busy that time of the year. No need to book either, so as long as you have a map, you'll be alright.

Mystery Bay primitive camping ground. Not NP, but a very attractive spot. Compost toilets, cold showers (wouldn't get me in them in September!) and taps. You can buy ice and firewood from nearby farms. Just off the Princess Highway.

There's a primitive camping ground in Moruya, but don't know what it's like.

I have never been there but everyone I know says Jervis Bay is stunning. And the area around Kiama is great too apparantly.

Really don't know about North of Sydney, except for One Mile Beach - http://www.melaleucabackpackers.com.au/ My daughter's been there and apparantly it's very nice. They have some sort of a wildlife rescue thing going on there.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:26 pm

Melbourne to Brisbane.
Great fantastic trip no matter which way you go.
You want to visit the beaches, what for ? sightseeing or swimming?
If you go the coast way from Melbourne to Sydney or Canberra, you will find lots of free or cheap places to stay.
Depends on your requirements.
I would add Canberra to your trip and go the alpine way from the coast.
Covers beach and Mountains.
It will be cool (cold) in the water down here in Victoria that time of year.
Suggested route.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... 753418&z=6

Hope this is of some help.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:04 pm

In addition to Titch's suggestion, I'd add that continuing inland up to Bathurst and then spend a day or 3 in the Blue Mountains before heading back towards the coast north of Sydney (easy to dodge the city if you don't want to go there). At some point the water will be warm enough to have a swim!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Lin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:18 pm

I would add Canberra to your trip and go the alpine way from the coast.

I have to disagree there. If you're from overseas, I don't think Canberra adds any value at all. And I'm allowed to say that because I LIVE there! :lol:

Also, I've been in the Austrian Alps and I don't think they'll be very impressed with the Snowies. The National Parks there are nice, but the mountains are really not that special, especially when you're from (near) the European Alps. The Blue Mountains are nicer to visit in my opinion.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CampGrrlz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:10 pm

If they are interested in plants, the Australian National Botanical Garden is well worth several hours of anyone's time. It was the highlight of Canberra for me ;-)

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby padfoot » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:28 pm

BUSHGEAR wrote:Hi Philipp,

If you just take your van along the coast to the Gold Coast then head into Brisbane you will come across alot of nice places...too many to mention...you can't go wrong if you just do a few hours driving each day and then stop somewhere that looks good. The best holidays are those that aren't planned.

I agree with the above. You can't really go wrong

I'll try and add some of my favourite places but I am from Sydney so bear that in mind. I also wont try and give specific camp sites as it's been a while for some of these.

Philip Island
Jervis Bay
Port Stephens (very touristy but you can find some lovely beachs/bush outside the townships)
Forster
Minnie Waters (very quiet little place on the NSW north coast)

There are many more fantastic places to go.

Do me a big favour? Please read the link below on beach safety and particularly how to pick out the rips (undertow) and how to escape one if you get caught.

http://www.slsa.com.au/default.aspx?s=beachsafety

Have a great time!!!
padfoot
Camping King

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:40 pm

:hello: Welcome to the forum Padfoot!!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby elevener » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:34 am

Thanks everyone for your helpful tips!!!
We will make a mixture of most of your suggests!

If Australien people are as nice as your comments, we will have a great time :armsup
Thanks a lot.

Philipp.
elevener

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:50 am

elevener wrote:If Australien people are as nice as your comments, we will have a great time :
Philipp.

Philipp......you will have GREAT time....enjoy.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations