What cookware do you use?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: What cookware do you use?

Postby Lin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:02 pm

We never keep the campfire going during the day, so there's my issue.

I make my pancake batter from scratch. Did I ever mention I am a Belgian (food snob)? :lol: It's hard work making smooth batter with just a fork too! But I managed and they were lovely.

I've been looking for those pans with detachable handles. There's this one at $149 (discounted) http://www.bargaingateway.com.au/product/789 Still a lot of money for just a pan, I think. The most I've ever paid for one was probably $60ish.

And I really like this Jamie Oliver set: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Oliver-Su ... B000TXV61K Sold out everywhere it seems, but they do have a US seller on Ebay that sells it in blue for $81. Unfortunately postage costs $60! And one of the lids is missing as out of stock. Still a fairly good price for a set, if only it had 3 pots instead of 2.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:12 pm

We usually keep the campfire going all day in winter for warmth, but it doesn't take long to get it going and put the campoven on earlier in the afternoon to saves a heap of work just before dark, we have usually eaten and washed up before dark so with the campoven its just dish it up, thats it..... it is actually easier than cooking a bbq or a meal on the stove. Potatoes in foil to go with it....no washing up there either. :?#

I am getting more laid back in my old age as the pancake mix in the shaker is easier for the girls (who when at home make the batter from scratch as we have a dishwasher) and less mess and washing up for me when out camping as I would rather spend my time doing other stuff... Also I get breakfast cooked for me which is just lovely. ;)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:22 pm

I must admit I find the pancake mix so much easier when camping too.

I did meet a lady once who used the shaker from the premix and made her own batter at home and carried it out in the shaker ready for cooking.

If I am doing a campoven meal, I also do the same as XB....put the fire on earlier so that the meal is cooked and ready to eat at a more reasonable time....also makes starting the fire easier too.

We have had the campfire going during the day if we have had enough timber and it is cold. It is really nice to get up and sit by the fire early in the morning with a nice hot cuppa. That is a little bit of a luxury though.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:37 pm

We usually keep the campfire going all day in winter for warmth, but it doesn't take long to get it going

Unless you're me! See previous posts on starting a fire. :)

We're just not always organised enough, so I find the stove easier. And all my pots are non-stick and easy to clean.

Personal preference I think. I've camped with a fairly large group who used to keep the fire going most of the day and it was lovely to make breakfast on the bbq plate and potatoes in the coals etc.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Lin wrote:

Unless you're me! See previous posts on starting a fire. :)

You are getting better though Lin.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:13 pm

We have a set of Coleman pots and pans that stack inside each other and are non-stick. They are pretty cool and came from the Rosehill 4WD and camping show a couple of years back. Add in a cheapo non stick fry pan and thats about our 'kitchen.' We also have a far to big camp oven that we use for the odd roast and veges now and then. It actually depends on who we are camping with...

When we were away last time our meals varied from snags, steak, chops or the occasional ham steak or chicken with either veggies or salad. When we joined up with the rellies we had a roast and spaghetti. If we were on the road we would cook on gas, but when we stay for a couple of days we used a fire.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Titch » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:24 pm

Lin wrote:We never keep the campfire going during the day, so there's my issue.

I make my pancake batter from scratch. Did I ever mention I am a Belgian (food snob)? :lol: It's hard work making smooth batter with just a fork too! But I managed and they were lovely.

I've been looking for those pans with detachable handles. There's this one at $149 (discounted) http://www.bargaingateway.com.au/product/789 Still a lot of money for just a pan, I think. The most I've ever paid for one was probably $60ish.

And I really like this Jamie Oliver set: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Oliver-Su ... B000TXV61K Sold out everywhere it seems, but they do have a US seller on Ebay that sells it in blue for $81. Unfortunately postage costs $60! And one of the lids is missing as out of stock. Still a fairly good price for a set, if only it had 3 pots instead of 2.

Von ( the c.l.o.g w#g) makes her pancake batter from scratch as well and leaves it overnight,man you can taste the difference.Smoked ham and tasty cheese filling,Drool.
I always thought a malt hand shaker would be easy to mix it up in.
We carry heavy bottom pans as.well.
We use" Peters of Kensington ",very cheap for quality stuff.

Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Serenity Now » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:32 am

There seems to be a wide variety of cookware being used.

We have always combined cooking over an open fire and cooking on gas.

The camp oven and BBQ plate always come with us but we also just bought some Hillbilly frying pans,a large one and a small one.
http://www.campingwithhillbilly.com/products.htm

Does anyone else cook with Hillbilly products,we thought we couldnt go too wrong with these.

We also take a really inpractical large saucepan to boil rice/pasta and to cook one pot meals in,not practical but its size is so handy.

SN
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby Titch » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:40 am

Serenity Now wrote:
We also take a really inpractical large saucepan to boil rice/pasta and to cook one pot meals in,not practical but its size is so handy.

SN

Us too, a large stainless pot ,for pasta,heating water for a tub and dishes etc etc.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:46 am

I don't have anything as fancy as most of you seem to have. 2 small saucepans, 1 frypan, camp oven, Dream Pot and gas BBQ.

For a weekend camp I take even less and it will depend on what the meals are I have planned and whether or not I am cooking for the group. The saucepans and frypan live in the CT, the others get added as required.

I use the DP at home/camping and extensively when travelling.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:34 am

We have our 2 sizes of camp ovens and now....My brand new kettle with the enamel lining in side...The big pot has a reversable lid so we can cook on that as a fryer...or other wise...Avis has all the other normal stuff she takes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby MDC » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:37 am

We take a set of camping cookware we picked up at Aldi last year. It has 2 saucepans (1 x large, 1 x small) and 1 frypan, detachable handles and all fit inside each other. From memory we paid $25 as it was a few weeks after their camping catalogue had come out and the price was reduced.

Worth keeping an eye out for this year as their camping gear should be in a catalogue soon.
MDC
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco532 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:58 am

The rest of the ''stuff'' is in either this side of the trailer...or one of the other 2 areas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:55 pm

The kettle looks great Rosco!!!

How much was it and where did you get it? Can you also post a pic up of the inside?

How does the enamel inside stand up to being over the open fire?
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby patty7862 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:35 pm

We have the full set of Hillbilly gear with my son gave us for Christmas, also a smaller camp oven and cast iron fry pan. This covers all our needs as we have the gas burner from Hillbilly also.

In answer to your questin SN, the Hillbilly gear is great, does take more work to prepare it and keep it rust free. Make sure you keep it oiled all the time and don't let any water sit on it. Apart form that it is a great product.
patty7862
Camping King

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Guide