camping with dogs

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

camping with dogs

Postby wadey31 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:36 pm

hey all, we are looking for campsites that we can take our dog to, we like bush style areas where we can have fires, looking for mainly spots no more than 2-3 hours from melbourne. any ideas would be great.

cheers
wadey31

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:55 pm

Here's a start:
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/DSE/nrenfor.n ... A30025DCFB

AFAIK State forests allow dogs, and pretty much anything goes just be aware of fire bans :wink:

Good spot to go aswell would be a Map Shop, you can get forestry maps and topo maps to show you how to get to the forests, whats there and what you can/cant do.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mytribe » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:38 am

Hi there, we go bush camping with our dog.

As Ozzy said most of the state forests allow dogs. We recently went camping up near Lake Eildon firstly at Jeruselum creek and the other time at Big River.

We use this site to find all our camping spots.

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/viccamp/viccptowns.html
mytribe
Post Machine!

thanks

Postby wadey31 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:31 pm

thanks for all the info guys, we have pick a place called dandos camping ground in the otway ranges, have been to eilden a few years ago the that same spot...we enjoyed it but as we now have a 14 month old son didnt want to travel to far.
all have a great easter

simon
wadey31

car camping with a dog - advice please

Postby chezzy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:41 am

Hi guys

Christmas is fast approaching and my other half has two weeks leave so we would like to go away for a few days and take our dog. I am pretty keen on wildlife photography too.

Even though its likely to be the busiest time of year I would be very grateful of some suggestions of places we can stay, even if its just one night here one night there and keep moving.

Basically we will be car camping (mattress in the back), so no caravan and not even a tent to worry about.

My initial thoughts are Great Ocean Road and bush camping/rest stops are fine by us as long as they are accessible (we dont have 4wd).

Thanks in advance for any tips!
chezzy

Postby gardenworm » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:30 am

not too keen on taking dogs camping
not a good idea.
Best to send dogs to a camp at a boarding kennel and collect your pets when your camping is over
gardenworm
Boy Scout

Postby mytribe » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:34 am

Why isn't it a good idea to take your dog camping, they love the great outdoors as much as we do :grin:
mytribe
Post Machine!

camping with annimals

Postby gardenworm » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:05 pm

camping with dogs is....? if you like that sort of thing.
My personal thoughts are I would rather take another human with me when camping , (maybe my partner) in preference to some dogs
I think dogs can have their own camping outings,
dogs have got their place and that place is on the farm.

Public camping and recreation areas are developed and funded by us the public so as fellow humans ( adults and children ) can enjoythe outdoors in a clean, healthy, stressfree and relaxing way, I am quiet sure these places were not pprovided for dogs or for the relaxation of dogs .

Once again take pooch to the dog kennels, they will possible enjoy the doggy atmosphere there, camping with their own kind.

I don't think humans would like to go and share a camp in a dog kennel or any where near the surroundings,...... now would they ?

The whole idea of camping is to share , communicate, learn, explore and I think relaxation comes somewhere in this description of the ideal camping experience, which is usually arranged , organizedand provided for humans..Those humans are genarally ourselves, family and sometimes friends.
I have not seen or heard of a camping trip setup at a public venue for dogs only. Come-on now dogs are ment to be on the farm or in a dog kennel !

Thats what my thoughts are.
may be I am wrong, however if per remote chance if I am wrong, then, what do we build dog kennels for ? .
At this point in time I am at a loss as to why some people would need this to be eplainned to them , "that humans go camping with fellow hunams (their mates ) and dogs go camping in a dog kennel "...... ???

my thoughts !
I just wanted to answer your question ,
Anyway, I wish you and yours a really good and rewarding new year, tis but once a year that we pause to think about the joys of our lives and the antisipation of good things to come for each and all of us.
gardenworm
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:08 pm

Some people like to take their dogs with them cause they like their dogs and they are good owners, dogs need to get out and have fun too. A little backyard is no place for any creature to spend its entire existance.

And boarding kennels ain't camping for dogs, its more like prison for dogs :mrgreen: .

Whilst there are some area's where they wouldn't be appropriate (family holiday parks, national parks etc, for obvious reasons) if someone wants to take them bush camping why shouldn't they, its good for the dog - must equal about 100 walks around the block in fun value for em :lol: - and they can provide security from snakes or dingo's, or help with pig hunting (if thats your thing). At the end of the day everyone's different and enjoy different things. I wouldn't have my dog live in my house but then there's people who think a dog can't survive more than 10mins outside at a time :roll: YMMV 8)

And the only reason I don't take my camping is that he's an un-trained spoilt brat and its a PITA to take him for a 5min drive up the rd cause he gets so excited. So there's no way i'm having him in the car for hours on end :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mytribe » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:45 pm

Well I guess for starters our dog doesn't sleep in a kennel, she sleeps in a basket inside :grin:

We do go camping with humans, infact the other half and I take 4 of our children, plus our dog camping, the kids love it, we love it and so does the dog, surprise surprise.

We don't go camping in "public" area's with her, only do bush camping in area's where dogs are allowed, therefore there's other dogs there as well, so not like ours is the only dog and she's annoying the other campers, if anything she's a very polite camping dog compared to some we've come across.

Wouldn't you want to take this gorgeous puppy camping :grin:

mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby stevo. » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:33 pm

mytribe wrote:Wouldn't you want to take this gorgeous puppy camping :grin:

i dunno, the dog and the kid look like trouble :***
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby mytribe » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:24 pm

So does the man in the pic, that's the other half(I'm the better part of the duo) :***
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby gardenworm » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:53 pm

yep ... ! it's a fine dog
gardenworm
Boy Scout

Postby freerocketman1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:13 pm

well garden worm thats the good thing about this forum your entitled to your opinion thats why i take my 2 dogs camping with us & i wouldnt have it anyother way, & yes i clean up after them too.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby chezzy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:46 am

Personally I am still trying to digest Gardenworm's post ;-)

Just as I register, obedience train and clean up after my dog I am also trying to do the 'right' thing in finding places that ARE dog friendly for camping or simply propping somewhere overnight even if it means being away from other human beings!

As for being kennelled or being on a farm - my dog does both and has had to do both during those times we simply cant take her because we want to visit National Parks.

Here is a couple of pictures of our dog enjoying the great outdoors

chezzy

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations