Roman 4wd mats

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Roman 4wd mats

Postby encorepi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:21 pm

Ok, so I am the girl who like a little luxury when I am camping, and if there is no hot shower or flushing toilet then I will stay at home. So we had a mid price air mattress which now leaks, so we sought advice and were told to buy two of the best Self Inflating mats we could buy. Well I bought the best kathmandu one, only one, and hubby, who is less fussy than I, hated it, he stole the kids air mattress and the combination was ok. I tried a stretcher with a cheap self inflating mattress, which was ok, but I hated not having hubby beside me. I just saw the Roman Self inflating mattresses, anyone tried them? Any other suggestions/comments?

Thanks in advance.
encorepi
Boy Scout

Re: Roman 4wd mats

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Can't comment on the Roman....I have a DMH and an Oztrail self inflater and am happy with both. The Oztrail is slightly larger.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby MDC » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:15 pm

I've been looking into buying a decent self inflating mat to replace our leaking air mattress. I've been told that the absolute best you can buy is this Termarest one:

http://www.downundercamping.com.au/prod ... 845&page=1

I almost expected them to be lined in gold leaf and silk for the price though!

I've also heard great things about the DMH Off Road mats.

http://www.downundercamping.com.au/prod ... 728&page=1

I personally haven't tried either so I'm keen to hear what others think.
MDC
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:31 pm

I probably prefer my Oztrail to my DMH....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Can't comment on self inflating mattresses but it might be worth giving some egg crate style foam mattress. That's what came with ny swag and it is deadset more comfy than my bed at home :armsup
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Lin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:15 pm

I had an Oztrail one and didn't like it. If there is one thing I'm fussy about, then it's my mattress. I have arthritis and very tender bones. I could feel the ground under my hip through the mattress. So I ended up putting some of that egg carton foam underneath. In the end I found it all too much of a hassle. Takes up lots of space in the car and you're supposed to store them inflated, which is a pain in the bum too. So now I have an air mattress and always take a spare.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby hoadie72 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:33 pm

I really like my Therm-A-Rest mat, was well worth the money I sent on it. In 5 years it's been around the world with me and it's seem a fair bit of Australia too.

As for the Roman 4wd mats, I've had a look at them a few times because at one stage I was thinking of getting something a little wider, and they seem to be pretty good quality and would be good for someone like Lin. Essentially they're a self inflating mattress with a couple of cm foam built in. They can be up to around 10cm thick, so can give lots of padding for sore hips.
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:51 pm

If it's as dodgy as the Roman sleeping bags i think i'd avoid that brand. I just bought a Roman sleeping bag, basicly because i wanted one fast and they didn't have the ones i wanted, it's got "cheap crap" written all over it :oops:

I got a Black Wolf self inflating pillow at the same time and it's pretty good i reckon.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:13 pm

We have two Roman Big Brother hood sleeping bags rated to -10 and they have been terrific. Bought the first one over 5 years ago and because it was so good we bought another this year.

Last used them on June long weekend in -4 temps and we were toasty.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:20 pm

I must have bought the wrong one :oops: ... ok ok i'll try to stop complaining :***
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Rosco532 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:41 pm

We have a Coleman blow-up bed we use often and its great...We also have a Coleman battery pump to blow it up...and thats great ...BUT...What I don't like is how the air inside it goes cold.
We use all sorts of ''stuff'' under it for insulation but it still goes cold during the nite....Be nice to find away to keep it warm.

:cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Wool underlay on top makes some difference I find, Rosco. It's quite luxurious! I just put those rubber mats under mine. Makes some difference but probably not that much. I'd like to find some cheap, old self-inflating hiking mats for that purpose. They're supposed to be good insulation.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco532 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:31 pm

We have done that Lin....with a feather ''thingy'' on top of that....but the cold still comes through.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby hoadie72 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:48 pm

When I use an inflatable mattress I tend to use a sleepingbag as an under blanket. On my self inflating mat I do the same or sometimes use a picnic blanket - because it's a single mat, the picnic blanket will wrap under the mat. It seems to work quite well, perhaps because it's got a synthetic backing?
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco532 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 am

Hoadie....Does the air in those self inflating mattress's go cold as well ???
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Gear Guide