New to caravaning & the forum

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

New to caravaning & the forum

Postby Ticky » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi,

My wife & I have a Goldstream Wing 3 on order, should be ready about Nov I hope.

I need to get some info from you guys, but my first question relates to terminology.

I would call our new Goldstream a caravan, because I built a camper trailer a few years ago, & this is what I call a C/T.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=65272

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f187/camp ... age-93250/

Anyway, What section of your, or should I say our Forum relates to Goldstream refer to as a camper trailer, IE: wind up roof & pull out beds?

Thank you.

Steve :hello:
Ticky

Re: New to caravaning & the forum

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:37 pm

:hello: Welcome to the forum Ticky!!!

I would put it in the Camper Trailer section because it is actually classed as a Camper, as it all packs down just like a CT just a in a different way to a hard or soft floor....unlike a caravan that you don't have to pack away at all.

Look forward to reading about your first camp in it.....

It is always an exciting time getting a new camper!! :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:38 pm

I would call it a pop up caravan Steve (not pop top). To me a CT is a different thing all together....a tent on a trailer so to speak, be it either soft floor or hard floor.

WELCOME to our forum....have a look about the various threads, there is lots of great info here....a few funnies as well.

We don't have anything Goldstream specific on this forum........it is all about camping in general (no matter what the vehicle) and enjoying this great country of ours.

Might be a good idea to tell us which part of the country you are located, general area is all we need.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:57 pm

Welcome to the forum.
You shall call it, #@$#@#$ and %$@#$ when you get your first scratch on it.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Enjoy it.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby hoadie72 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Looks like you need to start a poll as it sounds like the jury is out!

FYI Jayco refer to theirs as camping trailers, I assume as they don't really have hard walls.

BTW, I had a look through your thread, well done with making your own trailer... I didn't read the thread but I looked at the pics.. it looks great!

And welcome to the forum :)
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:36 am

I call them "wind-ups". Gives a better distinction between a camper-trailer, a campervan or a caravan, pop top or not!

We have a Wing 3.5 (It's a wing 3 but with mods!)
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Ticky » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks for the welcome, & I'm glad I got that cleared up.

HG: A Wing 3.5? I like the sound of that. Is that v3.0.0.4 or the like? My Dad still has his van, thats a Pop-Top, dosent use it much since mum died, but he was always making mods to it. I imagin I will be the same.

Titch: I recon your right there mate, but still better me than someone else. That could result in death.

Hoodie: Thanks mate, I always wanted that style of C/T, but by the time I got one, I was too far past my use by date to use it. only used it 3 times, but we had fun. Thats when we decided to go for the easier option.

Most of my camping experience is out in the scrub in a tent & a spotlighting buggy, or touring on my old GPZ 750R.

Nowdays, I am looking for a powered site with an Ensuit. We will be towing it with our VY Berlina & I am not keen on taking either the car or trailer / van off the black stuff. Comfort is the key for us

Gypsylady: I should fill out the profile I suppose. I am an SA country lad living in Adelaide. I've been urbanised, practicly house trained.

Steve
Ticky

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Not many from SA on this forum....

What are some of your favourite spots??? Can we see some pics????

Always love to hear about somewhere new!!! :cheers & then put it on the never ending list of places we want to go to :*** :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Ticky wrote:Gypsylady: I should fill out the profile I suppose. I am an SA country lad living in Adelaide. I've been urbanised, practicly house trained.

Steve

LOVE SA Steve...especially outback SA....spent 4 weeks ther last year and planninn on heading back for another dose next year. Have been to Adelaide a few times too....yep like Adelaide too....especially the heritage tram to Glenelg.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:25 pm

Ticky wrote:...but he was always making mods to it. I imagin I will be the same.

I think you'll find it fundamentally a good thing... we've just done a few things to make life with 2 kids on board slightly easier. Here's a page showing them http://users.tpg.com.au/nlandgl/campermods/
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Ticky » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi Xmasbaby, I will try to find some pics of Sunny SA for you & post them in the future. If you are into wine, we have 3 main wine districts, one the the north east od Adelaide, one to the south, & one down the south east, 400 odd kms SE.

This is probably not the correct area to get into it too much. Most of our trips lately have been to your part of the world

Steve
Ticky

Postby Ticky » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:55 am

HG,
Like what you have done. I think I may have to copy a few of those partitions.

GypsyLady,
The Tram line has been extended out to the entertainment centre now & I think all those old trams have been replaced by new ones bough from Germany or somewhere. It appears that our pollies think us south ausies can build Submarines, but we are not clever enough to build Trams. GET REAL. How hard can it be to sink a tram?

Steve
Ticky

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:13 am

I was there last year Steve and the heritage tram was running 2 days a week at certain times.....is that now not the case??

Don't know the entertainment centre so not sure how much farther that is. Loved just wandering around at Glenelg, don't think there is a campground or CP there though......

Sinking trams...ha, ha. Bit like them putting GPS units in the trains up here.......so they can track them (pardon the pun). I want to see the guy who can successfully take one home form work and park it in his driveway.

LOVE outback SA......planning another trip down that way next year.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks Ticky that would be great......

Yes wine & I are great friends no matter the colour......come to think of it beer and I are also great friends.... :cheers
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ticky » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Gypsylady,
Not sure about the old trams, I never use them. The tram line was Glenelg to Adelaide. Has now been extended to Hindmarsh, on Prort Road. Might pay to Google Map it if you want to see where it is. As it runs right past the train station, & paralell with the train tracks, one or two of us crow eaters feel the 30 odd katrzillion dollars may have been put to better use. Then to go & BUY trams from germany while we have so much unemployment just rubs salt into the wounds. I was elated on Sunday morning when they announced the parlement was hung, then I found out that they didn't hang any of the Bas@!$s.

You are right, no CV Park at Glenelg. There is a nice one at West Beach, to the North & one at Seacliff to the south. I'd go north. Further North, but still only 20 mins from Glenelg, there is the Adelaide Beachfront CVP next to Fort Glanville , also very nice, & still on the beach. There is a Miniture Train that runs Tourists & Mums & Dads that can't get out of it, from the CVP to Semaphore where they have a sort of Carnival set up with rides & side shows over the Christmas Holidays. JMO, I recon the best time to stay there would be over the NEW Year break. They also put on a free Firewoks display at the end of the Semaphore Jetty on New Years Eve, which is not too shabby & you can get a good view of it from the beach which is not too crowded as a general rule. Take the esky & Chairs & make an evening of it. Few nice pubs & Cafes' along semaphore road that are worth checking out as well as other shops, supermarket or 2 etc.

http://www.discoveryholidayparks.com.au ... beachfront

West Lakes shopping centre is in between these 2 CVP's about the same distance, if shops are your thing. Personally, I love shopping, for new wood work machinery or caravan & camping eq etc.

If its Camping you are into, My fav close to Adelaide spot, (2 Hrs) is the DEEP CREEK National Park. Great spot with composting toilets Great scenery & if you are into bushwalking, You will love this. It takes in part of the Heysen Trail.

http://www.heysentrail.asn.au/heysen_tr ... lemaps.php

Parachilna Gorge is another of my fav camping spots at the other end of the Heysen Trail. For those not sure about the Heysen Trail, Hanns Heysen was a Pioneer Australian Scenery Painter who lived in the German community of Hahndolf, (Great tourist town & well worth a visit) in the Adelaide hills. He walked from the coast at Cape Jarvis to the Parachilna gorge in the Flinders Rangers painting landscapes. He did this so often that the route became known as the Heysen Trail.

Xmasbaby,

"Yes wine & I are great friends no matter the colour......come to think of it beer and I are also great friends"

I like my wine to tast just like Burbon, Vintaged in a cold can since about last Friday & served repeatedly & Often. As for Beer, I like my beer to tast just like Burbon.....

I don't like to drink alone, But fortunatley, I have a few good mates. Sam Couger, Jack Daniels & Jim Beam. I am thinking that by changing from our old Camper Trailer to the new Van, I should be able to reduce opening time from 2 hours to about 10 mins. What do you recon.

Steve
Ticky

Next

Return to Introductions: