Western Saskatchewan and Montana

Western Saskatchewan and Montana

Postby Soren G » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Three weeks ago,we went on a weeks trip to Eastend,Saskatchewan (Canada) and down to Malta,Montana (USA).
We where visiting several dinosaur museums,specially the one in Malta,where they found the "dinosaur mummy","Leonardo"the hadrosaurus (duckbill) that fossilized while it was still a carcass.
Here a few pictures:
What a sorry excuse for a camper...our old one...
Fort Walsh,RCMP fort established in 1872.It even saw Chief Sitting Bull living in the area,hoping to escape the wrath of the US-Army (and he was safe there for as long as he stayed there)

"Leonardo",it´s just a replica,but an awesome one.The original is in Houston,Texas for further SPAMER and study

Soren G
Camping Veteran

Re: Western Saskatchewan and Montana

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Great photos G.......

Little fella doesn't look impressed by the elastic strap on that hat though??? :*** :***

Whatever gets you out there and seeing the world it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it does the job!! :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Soren G » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:24 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:Great photos G.......

Little fella doesn't look impressed by the elastic strap on that hat though??? :*** :***

Whatever gets you out there and seeing the world it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it does the job!! :armsup

Yes,the little one is my younger son.He was concerned that the hat might fall off....
The old camper (build in 1968)....I guess...we had to use it (I bought it cheap and fixed it up quite some) but it wasn´t a nice setup,after driving on gravel roads,we had to clean the interior (thank goodness for dirt devils hand held vacuums),I build the gray-water holding tank myself (out of ABS pipes,T´s and elbows) and it didn´t hold a lot of gray water (daily dumping sucks)
Ja,I guess we had some very nice memories with it,but in the long run it wasn´t a solution.I am in the process of knocking it down and converting it into a utility trailer,so since it is equipped wit electric brakes I can load it up to 3500 pound and that should go for a long time...
Here some more pics:

Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby Soren G » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:32 pm

Long life the Queen:
Cowboys of her majesty:

Fort Peck,Montana:very important for the whole west region are Louis and Clark.Officers of the American Army,sent out by Thomas Jefferson to travel by land across the continent.

As a German,one can´t even in the deepest Montana hinterland escape the two wars we fought and lost....it still annoys me
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:50 pm

As a German,one can´t even in the deepest Montana hinterland escape the two wars we fought and lost....it still annoys me

I had just added a to-ta-lly politically incorrect joking comment here, but had to delete it. It would've made many people flinch. Though I thought since I'm from Belgium - we had people on both sides in both wars though it's hardly ever mentioned by anyone - I was qualified to be crude.

Those countries who were involved in the world war "from a distance" (ie. no/hardly any fighting on their territory) seem to be the ones who like reminiscing on the wars most, I have found. And they often have a very black and white view on it too. You'll have to learn to shrug it off and just nod politely.

Looks like an interesting trip. But lots of long sleeves, I see. ;)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:06 pm

It does not matter what the caravan or camper look like G....it's the fact that it works for you and the family and it gets you out and about.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Soren G » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:02 am

Lin wrote:

I had just added a to-ta-lly politically incorrect joking comment here, but had to delete it. It would've made many people flinch. Though I thought since I'm from Belgium - we had people on both sides in both wars though it's hardly ever mentioned by anyone - I was qualified to be crude.

Those countries who were involved in the world war "from a distance" (ie. no/hardly any fighting on their territory) seem to be the ones who like reminiscing on the wars most, I have found. And they often have a very black and white view on it too. You'll have to learn to shrug it off and just nod politely.

Looks like an interesting trip. But lots of long sleeves, I see. ;)

You are right,no doubt and yet,all we are known for seems to be,are those wars....it becomes part of your life and that doesn´t feel very nice.
It would be nicer to walk on.
You are right with your opinion about the North American view of things regarding the wars...

Regarding the long sleeves:yep,we where very lucky.When we started our trip,it was 35°C isch,but half way down,we had to big thunderstorms and it cooled off to about 20-25°C with a light breeze...since our old van has no air condition,I was very happy with that :armsup
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby Soren G » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:12 am

gypsylady wrote:It does not matter what the caravan or camper look like G....it's the fact that it works for you and the family and it gets you out and about.

I would agree,but certain experiences keep me from doing so....
a little introduction to my problems with the American continent:
I thought always that it´s about the human and one should look to rather what one is but what one owns...well,here it seems a bit different,when my kids played with the kids from that neighboring 5th wheel,the people occupying it tolerated it but made no attempt to talk to us (even we tried to talk to them).It seemed that they where quite uncomfortable with us near by.
Normally,I would give nothing about it,but when my kids are affected,I can´t ignore that.Sure,my old van was not pretty and the main reason for buying it was,that it was cheap (I fixed it up,in order to make it work).
I am a little bit tired of swimming against the stream,since I had to made my family a home here (and I did,I bought a house and still own a starter house and had to put a lot of work in both).
Australia,so I have heard,has a far more relaxed and far less snobby society.Another reason,why I would have preferred to migrate to Australia.
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:58 am

G__ wrote:
I thought always that it´s about the human and one should look to rather what one is but what one owns...well,here it seems a bit different

Australia,so I have heard,has a far more relaxed and far less snobby society.Another reason,why I would have preferred to migrate to Australia.

For the most of us it is about the person, not the possessions G but as always you will get those who think they are better than others & for a variety of reasons.....They are the ones to ignore as they have the problem, not you.

Aussies overall are a pretty laid back bunch of people but in saying that we are not without some of the same issues. We do seem to have a motorhome vs caravan issue at times but campers (as opposed to M/Hers and caravanners) as generally a whole other ball game. Most of us are just happy to be out and about enjoying this great country of ours and we don't care what the accommodation is; tent, camper trailer, swag and even the back of the ute. It all works.

One of the best things about this particular forum is the friendliness and family feeling with the majority of members. We are all pretty much ‘down to earth’ people and those who aren’t…move on fairly quickly.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:14 am

I agree with you Gypsy

We are pretty easy going people on here, which is why I enjoy it so much.

Although when Mum and Dad have been touring around in their van they have asked other van owner what are "trash trailer".....they mean camper trailers..... My mum was not happy and told them so. :*** :*** :***

So we do still have the division here G but we have found that you can always find some like minded people in any campground and have had some great times. Just one was in Deniliquin last Xmas where we were camped in between two Melbourne families, one was really all about what they had, how good their kids were at this and that, blah, blah, blah.....the other side were fantastic and every afternoon at beer o'clock we had a NSW vs VIC cricket match with the otto bin as stumps.....we all had a ball!!!! :cheers

So in the end if the one's camped next to you are snobby just go for a walk and you will always find someone like minded.... :beer
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Soren G » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:41 pm

In this case,i will fit right in!
So,the next time I meet somebody snobby next to us we go by this tactic :# ,right?
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby Little Kopit » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:47 am

I enjoyed the pictures.

But what caught my eye was the category where the trip was posted.

NOT in NORTH AMERICA, but in usa.

& there are 1/2 of the pictures with MOUNTIES, ie CANADA's national police force, the RCMP, or ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE. Yes, the province of Saskatchewan is mentioned, but it is still placed in the category USA. UGH, UGH, UGH, UGH, UGH, UGH.

I chose CANADA, & I care!!!!

I came to this place partly because an Aussie I know suggested I might to answer a question re. Canada.

Please don 't lump Canada or things Canadian in with the USA. WE are very DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=============
Also, the rig you used. Fine to try to fix something up. Others I have known have rented and been pleased with their result. The rig they rented worked. & these are folks who have fixer-upers at home. But the time to fix something up vs. the time to visit and see places. For those who go to see, the rental is a much better choice over spending time on parts, etc.

For my trip to Oz I've had it suggested that I buy, but the person who suggested that has conceded that rental is a more practical option. Again for the same reasons. Sure, if you buy you're not paying mileage, but you're spending lots and lots of time on the rig. & there are reasonable rental oufits in Oz, too.

Next trip rent.

& next trip call Canada, Canada. It is a different place. I find it funny that someone who visited missed that point, very funny, as in weird and un-observant.

8)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006
Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby Soren G » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:14 am

Little Kopit wrote:I enjoyed the pictures.

But what caught my eye was the category where the trip was posted.

NOT in NORTH AMERICA, but in usa.

& there are 1/2 of the pictures with MOUNTIES, ie CANADA's national police force, the RCMP, or ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE. Yes, the province of Saskatchewan is mentioned, but it is still placed in the category USA. UGH, UGH, UGH, UGH, UGH, UGH.

I chose CANADA, & I care!!!!

I came to this place partly because an Aussie I know suggested I might to answer a question re. Canada.

Please don 't lump Canada or things Canadian in with the USA. WE are very DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=============
Also, the rig you used. Fine to try to fix something up. Others I have known have rented and been pleased with their result. The rig they rented worked. & these are folks who have fixer-upers at home. But the time to fix something up vs. the time to visit and see places. For those who go to see, the rental is a much better choice over spending time on parts, etc.

For my trip to Oz I've had it suggested that I buy, but the person who suggested that has conceded that rental is a more practical option. Again for the same reasons. Sure, if you buy you're not paying mileage, but you're spending lots and lots of time on the rig. & there are reasonable rental oufits in Oz, too.

Next trip rent.

& next trip call Canada, Canada. It is a different place. I find it funny that someone who visited missed that point, very funny, as in weird and un-observant.

8)

Well,read again then,I stated "our trip to Eastend/Saskatchewan(Canada) and down to Malta/Montana(USA).
Since I live in the prairies (Estevan,Saskatchewan),I do know about the differences (or similarities) between the two regions.As far as my putting them together goes:I will not split a whole trip just about the fact that somebody has heart feelings regarding the States.
Canada is Canada and the States are the States,but this trip belongs together and it´s main destination was the States.
So,I suggest you READ first and than give a comment.
I find it weird that somebody gives a comment without even know who or what he is talking about.....I live here and why should I rent a caravan?
Again:next read a little bit more,before you state something and no,the Mid-West is not very different on either side of the border and we do keep a close relationship with the Americans (just go to Minot for a weekend and look at all the license plates from Canada)
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby Soren G » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:08 am

And besides:did you see a forum that is named "Canada"?Well I didn´t.....
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:00 am

Little Kopit wrote:
Next trip rent.

I don't think I'd want to rent a camper/MH or whatever LK....the cost is often phenomenal by comparison.

I reckon the important thing it to get out there and see the country and it does not matter if it is in a tent/swag or the most expensive of MHs.

With your own vehicle you have the freedom to pick up and go when it suits you….weekenders too, not just annual leave or similar.

I think that purchasing a vehicle to tour is fine in some countries….but not sure Au is one of them.

The term....'horses for courses' comes to mind here.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to USA