NSW - Mungo Brush, Myall Lakes National Park

Re: NSW - Mungo Brush, Myall Lakes National Park

Postby Woodsy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Got back today from a weekend away at Mungo ( We originally wanted to stay at Banksia Green but it was full ) Mungo was pretty busy as well considering rain was forecast all weekend. The Main camping area was full so we had to use one of the more secluded camping spots further down near the exit.

We chose the site with the least ant hills on it and put the borrowed tent up with a tarp underneath the bedroom. The reason we borrowed a tent was to try out a dome with a inbuilt fly.

The Camp Site

It was Hot and Humid most of our stay and the nights were horrible for sleeping. To make things worse i pulled out our blow up mattress to find the centre of it caked in mould. We don't know how as we have never gotten it wet and it is always stored away. Which meant we had to sleep on the ground, we put 2 sleeping bags below us and opened one up for the top, The ground wasn't too bad.

The first morning we got up at 5:45 am and walked over to the beach with a grumpy pup dingo following us till we got to the road. The sunrise was Amazing as always.

Off to Hawks Nest Beach for a swim as the water at the Beach near Mungo was to rough. The water at Hawks Nest was BEAUTIFUL.

The Sand Dunes there are awesome, We have been to them before but couldn't help to go see them again, found some interesting things while i was there.

The Remains of an old Shack

No idea what this is.

Not quite sure what car this is but its old. I would say the rest of it is under the sand.

We climbed the biggest sand dune there. Which was HUGE
Amanda at the bottom
Me at the top

We will never use this tent again, the fly screen on it was not close knit and mozzies would crawl in through the mesh and get into the tent, we are both covered in bites. Yesterday afternoon We were having afew drinks down near the boat ramp on a blanket and had a nice breeze off the water and no flies annoying us, then it started to rain so we headed back to the campsite which felt 10 degrees hotter than where we were, the flies and mozzies instantly attacking. Must be something to do with the compacted sand we were camped on holding the heat from the day.

To make things worse this morning when we got up the sleeping bags below us were wet in the middle from water coming up through the floor of the tent. We packed up at first light and headed home.

Although it was Hot and EXTREMELY Humid we still enjoyed our time away over all and look forward to heading out again soon. In OUR tent!
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:02 pm

FANTASTIC sunset Josh....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks. I find it funny though everyone calls it a sunset, Its on the East Coast of Oz.. no sun sets over water here lol.

But Cheers! hehe
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:51 pm

Josh....I did not give it any real thought.....just admired the pic & commented......FANTASTIC sunrise.....make you feel better??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Better than sitting at home, big climb on the Dunes, how are the legs. lol.looks great.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Woodsy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 pm

Legs are fine from the dunes. But it was bloody big! If i put my foot down flat onto the sand i found i didn't sink into it which i'd say is why my legs arn't sore.

Fantastic spot though. Next time we will try and get there earlier to get a better spot.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Dettie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:55 pm

Isn't it funny how you can have all these things against the camping experience, yet you still have a great time?! I think one of the fun things about camping is not knowing what the weather etc is going to be, and just rolling with it.

I'm looking forward to going back to Mungo.

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:48 pm

If we had our normal tent, we would probably still be there
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Dettie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:12 am

It sounds like tents and Mungo are an issue for you :armsup
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:14 pm

Great pics it looked beautiful... Thanks for sharing :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby conmanturley » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:35 pm

Hey Folks,

I am going to resurrect this thread again in the hope for a little advice.

We are heading up the coast next weekend (3rd-6th Sept) and planning to stay somewhere in the Myall Lakes NP.

Now I know that the campsites in the park are a popular destination but does anyone have any idea if this is a busy or quiet time of year for a weekend camp in the area?

A very general questions I know but just curious. Love the look of the place but anytime we have driven through there has been just too many people so have kept going.

Looking forward to your responses.

Conman.
How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
conmanturley
Camping King

Postby Woodsy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Last time we were there it was quite busy although we were kind of hidden away in our section but the ants were horrible and in almost everything. I think any weekend at Mungo etc will be busy, i'd assume the further along the road you go the quieter it will be.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Jarrod C » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:14 pm

Hey everyone!

We are wanting to go camping in the Myall lakes from the 30th Dec to the 3rd of Jan. We have never been there before so are not really sure what to expect but have heard that it can be very busy. Obviously the dates we haven chosen to go are going to be on the busier end of the scale but can anyone who has been around this time of year give us any idea of just how busy?

Im just worried about driving all that way without any kind of booking and not being able to find somewhere. Is there any kind of system where you can ring up the day before to see how many sites are available or anything?

Cheers in advance!
Jarrod C

Postby Woodsy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi Jarrod

No there is really no number you can call as its a first in best dressed kind of thing. Rangers come around and collect the fee's and will put a tag on your tent. Maybe you could find the number of where the rangers are stationed and give them a buzz? they might be able to tell you if its packed.

There is another option up the coast a little further, called Seal Rocks. I haven't been there but others would of.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Jarrod C » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:11 am

Hey Josh, thanks for the reply!

I guess we will just take our chances then! Yeah I saw seal rocks as an option but we have our hearts set on a woodfire so were hoping for Dee's corner or something similar. Am i right in saying that if staying in Mungo Brush you can only use the gas fires installed there? Or could I take my coal weber style bbq and use that?

Cheers!

Jarrod
Jarrod C

PreviousNext

Return to NSW