new to this forum help convert my husband to camping

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

new to this forum help convert my husband to camping

Postby bugsssy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:58 am

Hey all,

Just thought id introduce myself and family, we are a family of five 31, 30, 11, 3 and 5months at the moment with another one on the way. I stumbled across this forum by accident and wish we had of found it many years ago, to chat to like minded people about camping and to also get my husband into camping allot sooner. He had only been camping in hut type things with his mates growing up.

I have been camping since i was a child and my husband was taken camping for the first time last year when i talked him into going camping for our honeymoon . I had the full set up for my daughter and i but as we had my son and husband to make happy, Rob (my husband) insisted we buy a larger tent to make sure he could stand up and be with all mod cons. So we spent 14 days on our honeymoon camping and we were lucky enough to get great weather with only a few drizzles so DH was happy and had a ball. So we have booked our next holiday which will be in 9days time up Forster way and i'm so looking forward to it because i would normally go camping four times a year but since DH and i got together i have only been once in four years.

So to cut along story short the main reason i wanted to join was to get DH to start reading up about how much you men love getting away camping even if its for short trips cause i cant get DH to get his head around pitching a tent for two or three nights he only wants to do long stays. So with your help i am hoping we can get away for lots of short family camping trips as well as long ones.

That’s enough about us for now and i’m sure DH will log in under this username from time to time and post questions so all the camping enthusiasts need to help my plight and get DH to camp more often!!!!

Cass
Last edited by bugsssy on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
bugsssy
Captain Camping

Re: new to this forum but not camping!!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:11 am

bugsssy wrote:
So to cut along story short the main reason i wanted to join was to get DH to start reading up about how much you men love getting away camping even if its for short trips cause i cant get DH to get his head around pitching a tent for two or three nights he only wants to do long stays. So with your help i am hoping we can get away for lots of short family camping trips as well as long ones.

Go out and buy 5 cheap swags :armsup and one of those fly screen eating area thingo's, they are quick to set up and when you add a tarp give great protection from rain and bugs. Roll out the swags inside this and you'll be set-up for a short stay before other campers have even got their taj-mahal type tents un-packed and rolled out :mrgreen:

And welcome to the forum :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby jollyroger » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:04 pm

I was a little the same way as your hubby. I had to be comfortable and have everything at my finger tips.
I borrowed a swag from a mate and went camping in the Flinders Ranges!
That was it I was hooked! I have a tent and used it once! I hated it. I parked two Land Cruisers next to it to stop wind from blowing it over and leaving me and the family homeless. But alas it failed.
So we bought a Camper Trailer - We now think we are the bee's bloody knees! The bed is better than what we have a home (about to fix that problem) We have a roof over our head that is stable and room to move.
I was not really a people person until we stared camping. My missus will talk to anyone! I sit there in the background hoping they are not serial killers or wankers! Now I get out there and share a beer and chat but best of all we get to see this amazing country!
You can travel an hour from home or 8 hours and still have a ball. We now get itchy feet to go camping. We have even planned Easter 07.
two years ago I would rather stay home and watch telly or be with mates!

Get out there and live and love it!

Good luck :+
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby stevo. » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:47 pm

bugsssy, welcome to the forum, and good to see you conned him it to venturing outside his circle.

I guess it's lucky you had good weather on your first camp because otherwise he would've been put off for life. I camped near Forster a few years ago and it's a very nice place. But that water ski park sucks big time, some freaking weirdo people there.. but that's another story! ... yeah the beaches are great on the coast.

I always find it wierd that the male is not in to camping and the chick is.... m coz it's just a bit different from what i'm used to. I usually see the chicks that hate camping and want a hot shower, and the blokes just go feral :beer
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby the4bears » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:00 pm

Hi bugsssy ,thanks for help to post my photos.
Does your hubby enjoy ;
1) aBEER :beer
2)A BBQ,
3)FISHING
4)FAMILY AROUND
5)PICNICS BUT HATES THE HASSLE OF PACKING ALL THE STUFF IN,THEN TO TURN AROUND &PACK IT ALL OVER AGAIN ON THE SAME DAY.
wHAT I HAVE FOUND IS YOU UNPACK IT ALL AND STAY A NIGHT OR TWO IT IS MUCH MORE FUN ,CAUSE YOU CAH RELAX WITHOUT THE HASSLE OF PACKING UP ON THE SAMEDAY.
Anyway i hope you have luck .

Cheers the4bears
:beer :beer :beer :beer
the4bears
Camping King

Postby mytribe » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:03 am

Hi Bugsssy and welcome.

That's quite a neat set up you have there, ours looks all hodge podged :***
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby bugsssy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:20 am

We actually gave that tent to friends and went and got a three room canvas one for our expanding family. We have it set up out the front now weathering nicely. Once i have the fly up over it and we get back from holidays ill post new pics cause i’m rather looking forward to our taj mahal tent as ozzy refers to them

we will have six kids away with us this time so the extra room will be needed
Last edited by bugsssy on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bugsssy
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:07 am

G'day Bugsy! Thought I'd replied to this thread ... :?

If hubby likes the coast then that's an obvius palce to go to start with ... but I think the4bears has summed it up pretty well.

Good luck!

:armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby double_d » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:27 pm

heya bugsssy

i am also pretty new to the camping thing and can understand where you hubby is coming from

but i am making a lot more effert to take family camping three kids 10 , 6 , 2

i have been to camping grounds where there is not much around then i have been to caravan parks where there is people everywhere
i have no prefernece at this time
but i just make sure that we go for more than 2 nights at least and that there is no planning
i went to queen mary falls once with 3 other families and it was getting tired with haveing to go get firewood at 4:00
then cook at 5:00
bushwalk tomorrow at 9:00 dont be late
i dont like that
me and a mate of mine got sick of it and went to pub

but people are different

anyway thats my rant lol

daniel d
double_d
Captain Camping

Postby Linvic » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:12 pm

Welcome Bugsssy
Im also new to camp forum and to camping. It's taken years of suggesting to my husband to go camping and at last we are doing it!!!! We used to be 4-5* people with all the luxury but after buying into a Camper Trailer Hire business we are hooked big time. We love the idea of being able to go away for a couple of nights even if it's only an hour away in the bush. I havent been able to get him to go out when it gets hot, say 35oc + but you never know it might happen one day. :#
Linvic

Postby elpaulos » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:58 am

Welcome Bugss

I reckon camping is an extended picnic. Like mentioned b4. Once I'm out there I can sit back and watch the kids play and interact with others. Get some yummy food together and relax. Nothing more simpler.,

:?# :?# :?# :?#
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Return to Introductions: