Finally got a CT

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Finally got a CT

Postby jellycamp » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi everyone
Just wanted to share that I have been able to steal ummmmm I mean borrow.....my dads camper trailer. Wooohooo!!!! We are heading to sandy creek the weekend after next. It has really changed the way I think about camping. :-) I looked in the storage area and thought.... Look at all this space!!!! I can actually buy stuff and know that I can fit it all in!
Luckily for me dad has said I can hang on to it for as long as I like as he hardly uses it. I can feel alot of camp trips coming up. :***
Life is meant to be simple!
jellycamp
Camping King

Re: Finally got a CT

Postby Titch » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:24 pm

Well stolen, now you owe us all a beer.
Enjoy.
:beer :beer :beer :beer :beer
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:25 pm

How fantastic is that JC....yes I know what you mean by lots of storage space. Good idea to fill it ASAP....lots of shopping trips to the local camp stores coming up.

Have you the 'best' dad or what????

BTW....bring us back a report and some pics of Sandy Creek, can you please??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby jellycamp » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Hey everyone
I know.... What a score! Dad is pretty fabulous. If I see you out and about titch I will shout you a beer.

It is just a basic ct but has an annexe. No kitchen or nothing but that's ok. Hubby is a builder so hopefully maybe able to convince him to knock something together. Don't need anything too fancy.
I will post a report on sandy creek. We have been for a day trip but haven't stayed. Will be interesting. We tried to get in to neurem creek. Some music festival on which wasn't really my idea of camping.
jellycamp
Camping King

Postby Rosco532 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:35 pm

Well done guys.....does that mean you may be joining us for the ''MONSTER'' CAMP-OUT OF ALL TIMES ..... down at Mt Warning ?????? Be rather nice to have another male along...lol

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby dea » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:04 am

yay for you guys !!! you will love it ....
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:12 pm

:+ :+ :+ Congrats JC....Look forward to your pics and report!!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:51 am

Don`t worry about it not being fancy it`s free !!!! Looooove a bargain.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Serenity Now » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:49 am

jellycamp wrote:I know.... What a score! Dad is pretty fabulous

Don't forget its fathers Day this Sunday..

Congrats and have a great time.

Its only 23 sleeps till we venture out for the first time with our "new" CT...
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby jellycamp » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Hey Everyone,

DSCN2430.jpg
Just arrived back from our trip to sandy creek. Pretty fabulous spot and bloody hell was it cold!

The camp ground is privately owned but has really nice showers and toilets. They are so clean. There is a lot of grassy camping areas and right on the creek. The owner is nice, dogs are welcome as long as they stay ona lead. You even get the sunday paper hand delivered on sunday morning. WE made a few mistakes with our setup. We set up on dirt which made it pretty dirty, didn't take a broom....but these are all the things that you learn as you go I suppose.

"Our" maiden voyage of the camper trailer went really well. I bought some plastic drawers to sit near the tailgat for plates and knifes and forks. This worked really well. All the other stuff was in plastic boxes. Lucky for me dad had packed most of his stuff in it so I just had to add what I wanted. Whilst going through the boxes though I found all kinds of stuff that I wasn't sure I would use but managed to use most of it. The camp oven was the best thing. Made a roast lamb in it yesterday over the fire. Very nice indeed.

I found the mattress pretty baahumbug! Dad has put a really soft foam mattress in it and it was too soft for me. I am either going to replace it with a innerspring mattress or if we get our own trailer I will put one in there. Dad's trailer is fine but we found it a little bit too small for a family of four. plus the two four legged members as well :) so I think we will probably look at getting one of our own. At least we had a go at it and few more times taking it out we will really know what we want in ours.

A few things that I found a bit of a bummer was the lid of the trailer is on gas struts but I found it really hard to open by myself. Does anyone else have this problem? It lifts up from the back and it was really heavy. Now I am not the strongest person in the world but I am also not the weakest. The other thing was the kids being on air mattresses onthe floor so this didn't leave much room. The trailer has an annexe but we didn't close it all in as we were with friends. Sorry guys but I am going to bug you on all kinds of questions now. I have the bug really bad now! :***

Here is a few photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jellycamp
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks for the pics (they are great) and report JC....glad you enjoyed your weekend. Does Brian still own Sandy Creek....I did hear that he was selling??

A few tips....

Put the kids on a bunk bed...gets them up off the floor and gives you more space
Always take a rake to rake under wher you are setting up the CT (& of course the broom)
Consider getting an annex.....An annex will double your floor space.
Get a Oztrail Ultra Mesh mat for under the awning....makes life much easier and less dirt. Or a CGear mat if you can afford it....they are the absolute ultimate in flooring.

I know it's your dad's CT but making his more comfy will be cheaper than paying for one of your own and he may end up either giving it to you or selling it to you at a really good price.

BTW....being bitten by the CT (camping) bug is the best bite you'll ever get.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby jellycamp » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:32 pm

HI GL, Yep Brian still owns it. I haven't heard anything about him selling. He has a good thing going there that is for sure. Apparently the place was booked out over the weeknd and there was still plenty of room. I love places like that where you are not on top of the next person. It is great. I hope it stays this way.
jellycamp
Camping King

Postby Titch » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:58 pm

jellycamp, your photo of Sandy Creek is a postcard picture. :+ :+
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:24 pm

WOW looks great Jellycamp.... only takes one night in a CT to get that bug and you can't get rid of it :***

We have swags for our kids and if we need extra room in the tent during the day we just roll them up!!!! :+

The annexe will give you heaps more room with the kids as you will spend all the time in the annexe rather than the tent!!!

Try putting some of that eggshell foam on top of the mattress as it will help.

Look forward to more camping shots in the near future then...... :?#
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Serenity Now » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:54 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:Try putting some of that eggshell foam on top of the mattress as it will help

We have just gone from having the kids on air mattresses to buying 2 lots of Oztrail bunks,buying 1 queen size eggshell foam matress from the reject shop for $35 and cutting it into thirds to go on the bunks,should work a treat.
i notice a lot of people suggest self inflating but for the bargain price of $35 for 3 beds i thought that was great value and the egg shell mattress adheres to the bunk beds.

SN
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to Camper Trailers