Mojave SG4 review

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Mojave SG4 review

Postby Lin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:51 am

I finally bought this tent after hesitating for about a year!

I've only used it once - for our week-long camping trip at Mystery Bay after Xmas. And I had to set it up in the rain so gratefully accepted some help from a friend who'd already set up, so it wasn't really set up to my standards and the next day I had to go re-position all the pegs.

But I like it! I like my skylights, I like the big windows. I haven't really taken advantage of the fully enclosed annex yet as there are hardly any insects at Mystery Bay so I didn't bother closing the annex doors. I found it an easier system to set up than my Coleman even though the Mojave has 5 poles instead of 3. The extra poles make it more spacious and I loooove the shape of the tent when I'm inside. Honestly, I could just sit in my tent for ages admiring my cocoon. Haha! It has a few handy pockets near the door, guy rope storing bags, and I thought the boot compartments at the rear were the bees knees, even though I hardly used them because my double mattress kind of blocks the rear entrance. It stayed dry in fairly heavy rain and moderate winds, but I have yet to test it in strong wind.

The only downside I can think of is that there are LOTS of zips and some of them I found hard to reach. I also think the ventilation flaps on the side are not all that practical and they are in the way when you want to close the fly windows.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Mojave SG4 review

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:43 am

There is always some compromise Lin.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:59 am

Oh, I wasn't complaining! Just being SPAMER. I give the tent ****. :)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cherish3 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Lin

Could I fit 2 adults approx 5'5" and a kid approx 114cm in this tent as I am interested in buying it.
Thank you

Cheers
Eric
cherish3
Boy Scout

Postby Lin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Could I fit 2 adults approx 5'5" and a kid approx 114cm

It really depends on how much space you need! If it's just for sleeping, I'm pretty sure that that would work. I have a double matress in there that my daughter and me sleep on and then a bed for the dog (who is not quite 114cm ;)). And there's still space left to store some stuff and to easily get in and out of the tent.

The reason why I wouldn't go for a bigger (ie. 6-person) tent is that I like to have the option to camp in smaller spaces, eg. when I camp in the bush or at festivals. I also have a small car and usually have to set the tent up by myself.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cherish3 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks Lin. Sorry for more questions. how is the floor? Would i need to buy floor mats?
We will use it mainly for sleeping in the main and storage in the front (maybe hanging out if it rains). Our plans are to camp near bushwalking trails and do daywalks. Kinda training for my daughter and wife before we tackle backpacking/hiking in a few years time.

I hear you on the size. I was contemplating SG6 but not sure if it will fit places like Wilsons Prom, so will most likely go for the SG4. How is the ventilation in the tent. I think we will be using it mainly during autumn and spring. On a rare occassion in summer.

Eric
cherish3
Boy Scout

Postby Lin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:29 am

The floor's pretty ordinary, ie. not very thick. If you camp on rough surface you might want to use a groundsheet. I never bother though. Holes are easily fixed with duct tape.

Ventilation in the tent is great. It takes forever to open and close all the zips. :***
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cherish3 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:36 pm

Thanks for the info, Lin.

Btw, what do you use when you cook in the rain? Do you use a tarp for your overhead shelter?

Eric
cherish3
Boy Scout

Postby Lin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:59 pm

If I'm staying just for one or 2 night's, I've been known to cook in the annex - with the stove on the floor, near door. Wouldn't recommend it if you have a couple of little kids running around though!

If I stay for more than a couple of nights, I'll put up a tarp beside the tent and make my camp kitchen under that. There's a big discussion in the 'General chit-chat' forum about tarps over the tent at the moment too, if you're interested.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:10 am

I must say, after using this tent for a few times now, I really find the Coleman tents are better quality! I really like the shape of this tent and some of the details. But the floor seems cheaper than my old Coleman, the pegs are really bad quality - every time I use it I bend at least 2. I know I can replace them with better ones, but for that price I would've expected better. And I am finding it hard sometimes to set the tent up so the fly doesn't touch the inner tent, a problem I NEVER had with my Coleman.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:14 am

Lin wrote: I am finding it hard sometimes to set the tent up so the fly doesn't touch the inner tent, a problem I NEVER had with my Coleman.

That's where the velcroe tabs come into play Lin....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:31 am

Even with the velcro tabs I have that problem unfortunately. I'm sure that if I perfect the way I set it up, I can make it work, it's just harder than with my Coleman. Even if I did a pretty sloppy job with the set-up, it was still ok.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:56 am

As someone asked about this tent, I'll add some more opinions, after using it some more.

If used in strong wind, you really have to use all the guy ropes or the fly will touch the inner tent and the annex will just get completely flattened. (Again, I did not have this issue with my Coleman Overlander!)

The fully-enclosed annex seemed like a good idea at the time, but I'm too lazy to always zip up the front door anyway and when the rain gets in (and it does quite easily!) you end up with a puddle that you have to mop up instead of just lifting the floor to let it run off. Same with the dirt, you can't just brush it off the sides of the floor, you have to use a dustpan.

The ventilation system at each side of the fly is not all that effective and it requires moving pegs when you want to open or close the flaps.

It's not a bad tent, I just had expected better for that price and would probably not buy it again after having used it for a year.

But I still love my skylights! :lol:

And the bag to pack it up in is quite handy too.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:35 pm

I thought I'd update this post again as I am finally starting to like this tent more. It did take a long time to 'get to know it'!

I discovered that the issue with the fly often touching the inner tent window on one side can be fixed by pulling the main poles that cross over the tent apart more at the bottom. I always do this when I set up the tent, but I apparently hadn't used enough force so the side of the tent wasn't taut enough.

I also don't bother putting up the awning anymore, especially when it's likely to rain. In case of rain, I leave the big main door closed and use the side door as those let less rain in. Before I came to this realisation, I used to leave part of the front door unzipped so the dog could get in and out and twice my annex got flooded because of it. I could happily leave the side door unzipped at the bottom on one side and no leakage.

It also dealt very well with the heavy rain we got a couple of times. We were probably somewhat sheltered from the strongest wind gusts, but I thought it performed ok and ended up not using the guy ropes.

I still have to replace the pegs, though the lightweight ones have been ok to use so far, even though most of them are bent now.

I still love the skylights in this tent. I love being able to see immediately what the weather is like when I wake up when the tent is closed.

If the weather is warm and dry, I will sleep with all the windows and doors open and they are really quite big and provide good ventilation.

So my opinion is slowly changing on this tent.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide