Going without the powerpoint... what do we need???

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Going without the powerpoint... what do we need???

Postby mummeee74 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:18 pm

Well our youngest has just turned 5 and we have had our CT for 4yrs so I think it might be time to go bush!

I say this very hesitantly as I like hot showers and cooking in my Turbo Oven!

But I love the bush too so we need advice on the best power setup to run our Waeco CF40 and what ever else we will need.

What's the best set up??
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Re: Going without the powerpoint... what do we need???

Postby Titch » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:57 am

How often are you going,? for how long? and what exactly are you powering?
You can spend as much or as little as you wa
If your only going out for a few days a few times a year, an Esky my be cheaper.
Do you have duel batteries in your vehicle.?
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:35 pm

We do quite a few bush camping weekends a year.

We have a dual battery in our Prado that runs our Primus 60L fridge.
We have three rechargable lights for the camp and some little round magnetic led lights for inside the CT.
We also take a 55L esky to keep the beverages cold :beer
We have two butane stoves that we can cook on but prefer to cook a campoven on the campfire and have one of these to cook other stuff on over the fire.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BBQ-CAMPFIRE-COOKING-and-CAMPING-/190436527148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2c56e6cc2c

We don't have any power at all in our CT.

I can also survive a couple (3 at most) of days without a shower, a baseball cap is always good for bad hair days, sunnies for no make-up and then add a couple of wines at night and I dont care what I look like!! :lol: but for the kids we found when ours were little we just used some water heated up over the fire and stood them on one of those lock together mats and just gave them a quick wash down to get the majority of the dirt off before they got into their swags. Hands,feet,face & :booty

Hope this helps a little.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:52 pm

I rarely power camp now i find i take more on a power camp than a bush camp. The best shower i find is the one that plugs into your cigerette lighter.I carry a 20 lt bucket boil the billy OR fill the solar bag earlier in the day pour the hot water in the bucket and away i go.As for the other stuff i`ll leave for the others to advise as i only tent camp.Best ice for the esky if only going for 3 days or so. freeze water in the 3 litre milk bottles stays solid for 3 days.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks PJ I forgot to mention the black solar showers, we have two and use them in summer only....

The ice in the 3ltr milk container also works well for us too PJ as it doesn't end up as water in the bottom of the esky and we re-freeze them when we get home.
We also freeze block ice and break it up in big chunks over the top instead of bag ice as it lasts longer.

We pretty much take the same in our CT as we did when we were tent camping PJ as our tent didn't have power either!!!! :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Yep xmas baby, keep it simple i reckon.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mummeee74 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Sorry I wasn't very specific was I! I really want to power the CF40, we go away quite a few weekends thoughout the year and usually a couple of weeks in summer as well.

Xmasbaby, what sort of rechargeable lights do you run? And are those magnetic LEDs good?

We don't have a 4WD, only a Nissan Pulsar Sedan, so I have no idea about batteries etc.

We have a small cold box for drinks etc and would still use that.

I like that BBQ over the camp fire, looks great. We could also get a campoven as well but do most places (NP's) allow campfires still?

We do have one of those little butane stoves which are great for the price.

I was thinking of a shower tent and shower, but not really necesary for the weekend trips. And probably the other place we would stay for the summer has shower blocks, or we could just go for a swim :)

Xmasbaby we do have 3L milk containers in our chest freezer but found them hard to smash apart, how do you freeze your block ice?? I am guessing ice cream container??
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Titch » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:45 pm

For two days I suggest a second battery, for more than that you will need solar or a genny.
Can get rather expensive,Maybe a 3 way fridge for the longer periods would be the cost effective way to go.
My C F 50 runs on 160 watt of panel,thru 15 amp-hour of battery (2 car Batter's separate from the car main battery.
Titch
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mummeee74 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:00 pm

"My C F 50 runs on 160 watt of panel,thru 15 amp-hour of battery (2 car Batter's separate from the car main battery."

How long does that last? What brand batteries do you recommend? We do have to be careful of weight as we are towing the CT and we only have 1.6L.

Price isn't the main issue, obviously I don't want to take out a mortgage BUT more importantly I want something that will last a few years and is effective.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Titch » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:07 pm

All up it cost me around $1200, 2 battery's weigh a fair bit so do the panels, works constantly.
You could buy a 3 way for around $400, They would last weeks on a gas bottle,and weigh around the same as your C F 40.
Just an option to explore.
Titch
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Komodo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:11 pm

CF-40 will draw about 2amps per hour.
2 amps x 24 hours = 48 amp hours
BUT you dont want to deplete a battery past 50% max so I would suggest a 100amp hour battery.

That'll last you a day off power (though most people with a 100 AH battery and smaller fridge like you have will get 2-3 days use out of such a size).
Derek from COCIA wrote a bit up about his setup with a small battery CF-50 here : viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1807

A small solar set up such as an 80 watt folding kit should keep such a setup running without any troubles what so ever and these days they are a lot more affordable than 2+ years ago.
Derek paid about $1200 for his now you can get them for under $400 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/80W-FOLDING-SOLA ... 415270b7bc

I agree that a 3 way fridge "may" be a better option for you with the limited space.

20L steel drum sitting on the fire for a while till it heats up then a portable battery shower (you can get ones that use a 6V battery or ones that run off the cigar lighter in the car) is ideal if you want showers - but you have to have water accessable.

LED and CCFL lanterns are great and its likely that for 2-3 days you wont have to charge them (especially the LED units) But always take a gas lantern as backup.
Gas stoves. high pressure is cheapest - low pressure is more expensive, less common but WAY less prone to issues and they make your gas go further. BUT if you use a low pressure stove you will have to have a seperate gas bottle for a gas lantern because AFAIK there are no low pressure lanterns and I've not seen a way of connecting both a high pressure and a low pressure device to the one bottle. A gas fitter might be able to chime in here if such a beast exists. Theres also dual fuel stoves - personally I preffer gas.

Most national parks dont allow fires unless in designated fire pits. Most state parks are a lot more relaxed on the rules regarding fires

For the frozen block ice - you dont need / want to smash them up they work best when solid. Its a large thermal mass to transfer heat energy that way.

I've never camped on a powered site that I know of and never had an issue
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Do you intend to travel North or South? I know on the Far South Coast you can definitely have fires and they often have firepits with BBQ plate set up. Pretty cool.

I prefer the Coleman stove and lantern because you can use them with their small butane gas bottles. (Or is it propane? I always mix them up!) For a weekend, one of those would probably last you and you don't have to lug a big, heavy gas bottle with.

The 3-way fridge does sound like a good option.

I've been meaning to get myself a solar shower for ages. I've gone for close to 2 weeks without a shower. :shock: I do go for occasional swims...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:34 pm

We use a battery powered shower around the $25 mark,about 4 years old now.
battery operated camping shower.jpg

Our pop up shower tent is about the same vintage,depending on where we are we may just tub a la natural, frightens the wild life tho :lol:
pop up shower tent.jpg

Titch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mummeee74 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm

Great info, thanks guys!

Lin we love the south coast, mainly we head to jervis bay but have been as far as Narooma, would like to go further but find it just that bit too far at the moment. We like North too, taken the kids to the Gold Coast and thinking of doing that again maybe next year. Really haven't been West too often but going to Wellington very soon.

We do take a gas bottle for our BBQ. We used to have a gas light (mmm maybe we still do somewhere...)

I will have a look at the batteries & the 3way fridges as well, off to investigate - thanks :)
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby dea » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:33 pm

we take the battery out of hubbys work car.. we use it to run lights.. we also take a gene too to run the fridge, & also a 3 way fridge which we run off gas... we can go for up to 5 days ..we have alot of led lights & kids all have a torch each...we cook alot on a little bbq or do the camp oven over the fire .. we used to be the same & only do power sites at CP but our kids actually prefer bush camping now , which we love !!!! we do go to places that has showers & toilets etc , but do have a shower run of the battery too if really needed ...

good luck with it all
dea
Camping Oracle

Next

Return to Gear Guide