Site update & bugs

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Site update & bugs

Postby linv » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Ok. There's a 'Site update & bugs' in 2 seperate forums and they're completely seperate posts.

This is all quite annoying and I cannot for the live of me see how it's an improvement. And no I'm not one of those "OMG they changed the font colour and now I cannot do anything anymore" type people. I work in a web-publishing area, I'm an experienced internet user.
linv
Boy Scout

Postby linv » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:32 pm

And my old profile with my old username (Lin) still exists.
linv
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:37 pm

Adding your other post here Lin and deleted the other thread as I don't seem to have the same options as I used to on the old forum where I could move posts/threads about.

Lin wrote:
Woohoo! After 2 days, I finally got in!

I agree with GL, I don't know why these changes were needed either. I vaguely remember thinking - during that discussion about changes on the old forum - that someone might try to make money out of this somehow? With sponsors and organised events and a zillion members and what not. If that is the case, I cannot help but feel used.

I'd be happy to just have the forum on something like Yuku or similar, which is a free service that requires minimal admin and customisation.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Why would anyone provide a site like this for free for 15 years if you were losing a significant amount of money?

Hosting's cheap?, it'd only be a few hundred a year at most to run a small forum like this. :armsup
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby linv » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:39 pm

I didn't mean to sound ungrateful, Joy. I don't know the history of the forum. But I do know that the content that it's members have provided over the years is quite valuable to lots of people.

I'm more used to forums that are hosted on a free service and where the administrators are active members. Most of these free hosting services do place ads on the forums, but for a small sum - which the members can contribute - you can get rid of those ads and get additional functionality.
linv
Boy Scout

Postby Titch » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Lin, can you rejoin using your old name etc and let this new account run out maybe?
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby linv » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:33 pm

I'd never looked at the main site! I suppose caravan parks etc. pay to advertise? Useful if you want to get a basic overview of amenities and stuff. But for me, I'd come straight to the forum because I think a review from a "customer" is 100x more useful than any advertising.
linv
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:05 pm

I agree Lin....I never go to the main page always found it too daunting with too much info...too busy. The forum is what has always interested me....nothing else.

Quite frankly it is not a place I would even consider looking for info on caravans, parks or dating. Google is my best friend.

I had a shortcut to the forum on my desktop and that was it.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:15 pm

maybe if I check out the main page I might get lucky :grin:
Titch
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Titch wrote:maybe if I check out the main page I might get lucky
Titch

You'll get lucky if Von finds out....lucky to live!!

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:33 pm

:booty
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Activity_Dept » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:25 pm

Hello Forum,
I have just stumbled on this thread and can see you have covered just about every topic except the one it was intended for. Now firstly Joy's posts have been removed her views are not necessarily the views of this forum. I would like to stick to the topic if at all possible and that is bugs there is no point asking why or how. The forum is here it is independent enough from the site so you never have to go there and I think we have covered most of the upgrade issue.

Lin is your account working OK? The techs spent much of today working through these bugs and had addressed your issue. If you are not happy with how it is working can you please tell me specifically what the current issues is keep in mind we did our last update at 5:00.

Gypsy Lady is your account working OK? Also can you tell me specifically what the current issues is keep in mind we did our last update at 5:00.

I am currently looking at:
The resolution should be 1024 i.e. is wrapping on small screens. Yes some of you would prefer a larger screen i.e. remove profile photo (we are considering).
Missing next post link on the posts.
User name/email not caching (saving).
Apart from that have I missed anything?
If you decide to explore the site please refer to the FAQ.
Please advise if there is anything I can needs fixing.
Activity_Dept
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:58 pm

Have not been able to get in so i joined AGAIN.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Activity_Dept » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:05 am

Hi Poddle Jewel,

I note this account has over 1,000 posts so I assume this is your old account is that correct are you saying you now have a second new account?
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby stevo. » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:02 am

ooo i have one!!

Probably not really a bug, but anyway...

When you click on a link, the link "open in same window"

For example, if someone posts a link to some other website, when you click on it the new site opens in this same window, which takes you out of the camping forum, which is bad, very very bad. It should be set to "open in new window", so when you click a link it opens a new window for the new website and when you have finished with it, you can return to the camping forum.

I'll stick that one on the last invoice :armsup
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat