Question about Perth

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Question about Perth

Postby Soren G » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:46 pm

I have read (and seen a little on TV) about Perth and it´s surrounding area.Is it right,that the climate there is more "Mediterranean"?It seems to be very green around there (lot´s of farmland),so what is essential to know about that region?
Cheers Gernod
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Re: Question about Perth

Postby BigCat » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi Gernod, I have lived in West Australia for the last 40 years and have lived in the south west and up as far as Derby (2500km nth of perth). Perth is a mediterenean climate. The south west is our only really green area as there is reasonable rain fall. The rest is beautiful but very dry and I suppose you would really call it desert. The North has only 2 seasons ie wet (nov to March) and dry the rest of the year. Best thing you could do is come and have a look, fantastic camping and you could spend a lifetime trying to see it all.
Cheers
Steve
BigCat

Postby Lin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:55 pm

If you're looking for a meditteranean climate, the NSW North Coast is probably pretty similar too. That's where I want to end up. (Me and only half of the people in South Eastern Australia. :lol:)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:59 am

Perth weather can change dramatically,suddenly. Was there 2 weeks before xmas and it was freezing and 6 degrees celcius,has 15 odd years ago maybe more it snowed on xmas day.Coast line is spectacular but once you head inland it is dessert though interesting things to see.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Soren G » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks for the info!
I haven´t been online lately (we where camping up in Moose Jaw).Now I try to get up to speed again..
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:16 am

G__ wrote: (we where camping up in Moose Jaw).Now I try to get up to speed again..

Where's the pics Gernod??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:17 pm

Gernod,,,I was back in Perth about a monthago and was so dissapointed at the changes that I saw....Its fast becoming a ''Sydney' Ratrace....In my opinion its growen to fast,,,what a shame :( ......And as for the climate,,,I had a week waking up to ''0'' degs......man has that changed.....we used to think 8 was cold when we lived there.
As Steve (bigcat) suggests.....If you are thinking of coming this way...pop over & check it out for yourself...but....remember Australian Tourism does not show what the locals see!!!!

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Soren G » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:10 pm

And that is exactly,why I ask you guys!
I have heard,that a lot of growth was going on there,but I lacked of course the experience of knowing it "before" or even be able to see,if it had changed to the better or worst...so thanks for the info.
What would rather be preferable?What corner of Australia would make the biggest impact in terms of "that is characteristic" for the country (e.g continent)?

Cheers Gernod
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:36 pm

It's such a big and diverse country and every region has it's own characteristics, I reckon. It really depends on what your priorities are. Is it the climate, or the space/nature, or the beaches, country, city, big, small, ...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Definatly BRISBANE (or even better,,,,Townsville) for winter....and Perth for summer.
We have stink summers here (brisbane)...being ''sub-tropical''....always raining....when you don't want it.....

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby itchyvet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:13 pm

Soren G wrote:And that is exactly,why I ask you guys!
I have heard,that a lot of growth was going on there,but I lacked of course the experience of knowing it "before" or even be able to see,if it had changed to the better or worst...so thanks for the info.
What would rather be preferable?What corner of Australia would make the biggest impact in terms of "that is characteristic" for the country (e.g continent)?

Cheers Gernod

Gernod,
Actually mate, I LIVE in Perth right now, would be only too pleased to show you around should you choose to visit the place.
YES ! it has grown incredibly over the last 20 years, that's why it's important to see the place before it becomes like any other huge city.
I've also lived in Townsville for quiet some time, admitedly that was back in the 70's and going by my relative's comments from over there, that place has also grown beyond imagination.
I'm also an active member of the biggest bushwalking club in W.A. thus am privy to many locations here that the average West Australian could only dream about. LOL.
Anyways, give me a heads up if you wish more info about the place.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Postby Soren G » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:20 pm

itchyvet wrote:
Soren G wrote:And that is exactly,why I ask you guys!

Cheers Gernod

Gernod,
Actually mate, I LIVE in Perth right now, would be only too pleased to show you around should you choose to visit the place.
YES ! it has grown incredibly over the last 20 years, that's why it's important to see the place before it becomes like any other huge city.
I've also lived in Townsville for quiet some time, admitedly that was back in the 70's and going by my relative's comments from over there, that place has also grown beyond imagination.
I'm also an active member of the biggest bushwalking club in W.A. thus am privy to many locations here that the average West Australian could only dream about. LOL.
Anyways, give me a heads up if you wish more info about the place.

Brilliant!
Yes,I would like to know EVERYTHING about Western Australia!
I heard that it is somewhat like the "bread basket" with lots of farms and a fair amount of rain..is that true?
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:18 am

Gernod......I think it must have been Queensland they were talking about when they mentioned ''Lots-of-rain''

The climate in W A Is one of the things I miss the most about living there.......atleast they get beautiful weather (suitable for summer camping) in summer.....and ''stinky'' cold wet weather in Winter ....at the time of the year when its meant to be......although in saying that.....this year, they seem to have had quite a dry winter.....so....who knows what sort of summer they are in for this year.......The climate seems to be changing right around the country at present (around the world for that matter)

:cheers
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:47 am

A dry winter?! Well it rained most of the week I was there in July. Cold, wet and miserable! :***
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Soren G » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:47 am

Well,how cold does it get?
Here it´s -18°C,-25°C with the windchill....and it´s not really winter yet....
As long as I don´t need something like that anymore:
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat