Good Quality Chairs and Tents

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Good Quality Chairs and Tents

Postby makemwild » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:04 am

G'day guys, new to the forum. :hello:

Trying to knock two birds with one stone here without spamming the forums with the same topic!

I have long been a camping enthusiast and at the start of the year went up the east coast for a 2 month holiday. Prior to that I bought a 2 Wild Country Laddon Chairs, both had to be replaced when I returned. Then replaced again. Then replaced with the model above, finally I asked for a refund because the model above was suffering the same issues as the models below. The stitching came loose and before too long the arm would fall off. This was with light use, so I could not imagine what they would look like after heavy use!

Anyway, I am wondering what are some good brands to start with for chairs. I am after something similar to the - http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/gear ... chair.aspx. A nice camp fold out chair that you can sink back into, and let your beer rest in the holder next to you.

I feel very naive when it comes to buying my own camping gear because I don't really have any idea of what brands make the most durable / comfortable products. But I hope to change that within the next week and be able to know the ins and outs of any camp chair in the Australian market!

I did some searching through the forums for a decent four man tent, and have narrowed my choice down to the blackwolf mojave4,--> http://www.blackwolf.com.au/classic/mojave4/ and the oztrail breezeway 4v --->http://www.oztrail.com.au/dome-tent-range/classic-tent-series/DTC-B4V-C.php. I am thinking of getting a nice big tarp to put over it as well so there's some nice sitting room in case the weather is unfavorable for out of cover activities. I am just wondering if any people have any alternative recommendations to different brands, or feedback on tents made by these brands OR my ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers
makemwild

Re: Good Quality Chairs and Tents

Postby Lin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:39 am

Hi makemwild. Welcome to the forum.

I bought the Blackwolf Mojave SG4 about a year ago. I wrote a review on it here: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=4618&hilit=mojave.

I just added some more to that review.

Personally, after using both the Blackwolf and Coleman brands, I'd recommend the Coleman any day.

Can't give much advice on chairs as I'm still looking for the perfect one. I used a quad folding beach chair for years. Strong as anything, but can't remember what brand it is. I kinda liked it being so low, but it is awkward when all my friends have higher chairs. I'm thinking of buying that Coleman chair too.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:41 pm

:hello: Welcome to the forum Makemwild

My two teenage daughters got the exact chairs for Xmas last year.

They are fantastic!!!!

We all love questions here so ask away!!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:57 pm

:hello: Welcome...always people on this forum willing to give advice..lots of info on here about lots of different issues people have when camping.I have recently bought the old style banana lounge and put my self inflatable mattress on it and use the esky as my coffee table.I`m quite basic with my camping as i have to fit it all into a Hyundai GEtz.
PS where are you located?
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mummeee74 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:17 pm

Hubby has one of those chairs, quite comfy and good quality, although doesn't pack down very well IMHO. But space is a premium for us.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby kingfamilycamping » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:27 pm

Mate go with the oztent king kokoda chairs can't go wrong with them strong comfortable and a 5 year warranty and they are comfy as you get and priced at $100 a little pricey but you get what you pay for
kingfamilycamping

Postby makemwild » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:42 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys! Really appreciate it!

Lin - I read through your review and you have made me go against purchasing the Black Wolf tent. It looks like a good tent but you point out some fundamental flaws that could turn out to be really annoying and unfavorable in certain conditions. So I'm now considering looking at the Oztent, Coleman, or Oztrail tents.

xmasbaby67 - I'll take that advice on board, good to hear that they last longer than their Wild Country counterparts.

Poodle Jewel: I've got a 96 3500 Pajero, so I can be a little bit more lenient with the space factor hehe. I love to hike and that's when I have to be basic with my camping, but when I have the car I love to spoil myself on comfort a little :P . I'm located in Melbourne.

mummeee74: I don't really have an issue with space because I only travel by myself / or one more person. Can usually stuff the entire back of the car with as much gear as I want :).

kingfamilycamping: I had a look at the Kingkokoda Chair, does that come with a beer holder? I looked at the photo and can't work out whether it is hidden somewhere or it just simply lacks the beer holder. If it has one, it's pretty much going to the top of the purchase list :)

Thanks again guys!

what are your opinions on the best 4 man tent brands? Reckon I have it right looking into oztrail / oztent and coleman?
makemwild

Postby Lin » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:51 pm

I had a look at the Kingkokoda Chair, does that come with a beer holder?

The important questions first, I like that. :*** :beer

My Coleman Overlander tent was fantastic. Though I did eventually get a rip in the flyscreen door, which I fixed with gaffa tape.

A friend has one of Breezaway tents, but she hasn't used it all that much. They're very easy to set up I think. Not sure how sturdy they are.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby kingfamilycamping » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Yea they do have 2 stubby holders one either side connected to the seat base at the sides they also have a Velcro pocket either side to put keys or phone etc best chair won't be disappointed
kingfamilycamping

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:59 pm

The camp chairs I have are the real cheapie type, I've actually bought them for $5 each. So far they have gone on all of my trips for well over 2 years now and they're still holding up strong. They're starting to get a little faded but they're just fine. The only down side I can say about them is that they're not extremely comfortable, but a towel draped over it seems to do the trick for me. I don't spend much time in the chair, I'm usually too busy doing something else, like stoking the fire, cooking and regular site maintainence :lol:

I've recently purchased another couple of chairs for $5 each, they're the same design but slightly larger and because they have a little bit of padding, a bit more comfy and wooo they have a magazine holder on the back. I don't really need them but for $5 down from $40, why not aye. ;)

I only use the stubby holder to hold my torch because my stubby is usually in my hand :beer

As for my tent... Yep it cost me $5 too :lol:
and it has outperformed some of my mate's $150 blackwolf tents in a storm, It's starting to get a few wear and tear marks, a damn possum has scratched one side but it's still ok and watertight. The missus want to upgrade to an Oztrail Tourer 9 tent before summer.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:48 pm

(As mentioned in another post) I find those stubby holders attached to the seat a pain. My new chair has one and I don't like it. The holders in the arm are so much better.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby makemwild » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:29 pm

Hmm... Found this epic chair - http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/adve ... chair.aspx

Beer holder in appropriate location, sagging seat to take the weight of your bottom. I could fall asleep watching a sunset on this chair :).

Weight capacity is also 150kg, so it can hold me and my sweetheart as well ;) .

Also everyone: whenever purchasing a chair, ALWAYS make sure it has solid stitching. Never again will I buy a chair without being assured that the stitching is of high quality.
makemwild

Postby makemwild » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Lin wrote:
I had a look at the Kingkokoda Chair, does that come with a beer holder?

The important questions first, I like that. :*** :beer

My Coleman Overlander tent was fantastic. Though I did eventually get a rip in the flyscreen door, which I fixed with gaffa tape.

A friend has one of Breezaway tents, but she hasn't used it all that much. They're very easy to set up I think. Not sure how sturdy they are.

Hey Lin, how easy is the Overlander tent to set up? I am seriously considering purchasing this tent, assuming it looks all well and good when I go in store to check it out.
Is it nice and cozy inside? I have a double mattress that I would put in the main compartment, then there's that vestibule area for general activities?

I searched for a review on the forum but came up nil, so if I purchase this tent I'll be sure to write a report on it.

The chairs have been decided, going to go for the epic big foot chairs. Fork out the extra cash but get a good quality product (hopefully).
makemwild

Postby MDC » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:41 pm

Just to add my 2 cents, I wouldn't buy the new overlander. We had an older model of the overlander deluxe for about 8 years and the new one doesn't appear to enclose fully in the front section. The tent we had prior to the overlander was the same and I have bad memories of heavy rain and water pooling up in that part of the tent.

Our old overlander was a great tent, can't fault it. It still looks as good as the day we bought it. We only upgraded because we really really like the blackwolf turbo tent! I just personally wouldn't buy a tent with a design like the new one, but I would buy it if they had the deluxe model which encloses the front area.

I'd consider the timbertop geo 6 for a few $ more. It's not that much bigger but it has the advantage of the front and back both being enclosed and weatherproof. A friend of ours has one and it takes approx 10 mins to put up. It has colour coded clips, poles and pockets so putting up the tent is very easy (Red pocket, red tipped pole, red pin, red clip to fasten). very nice tent!

What area are you in? You're more than welcome to unpack and play around with our coleman overlander deluxe... we don't use it anymore.
MDC
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:24 pm

I tend to differ on the enclosed annex. My new Black Wolf has that and I find it much harder to get the water out of the annex than it was with the Overlander. With the latter, you can just pick up one side of the floor and let the water run off. With the enclosed annex, if you get puddles - and rain does come in quite easily if you leave the awning up - you have to mop it up. Same story with sand. I really found the non-enclosed annex easier to manage. Just my personal preference though.

As far as ease of setting up goes, that's all relative of course. It took me a few times to get the hang of it and then I could do it on my own in less than 30 mins. And no matter how sloppy a job I did if I was in a hurry, it always turned out ok. The only thing I always found a bit of a flaw was that it is quite hard to get the front of the tent - as in the annex door and sides - nice and taut. I never seemed to be able to get the corners of the annex sides close enough to the ground. But it wasn't a major issue at all. It just frustrated me that I could never get it totally perfect!

In fact, setting up the annex took the longest to get the hang of. It doesn't stay up without the pegs, my Mojave annex does. But I suppose that's the trade of for only having 3 poles.

What else can I tell you about it... It doesn't have pockets for the guy ropes, but after using those on my Mojave, I think they're pretty overrated too. Doesn't have many gear pockets, though that may have changed in the newer models.

It's easy to cool it down in summer once the sun's gone down. Make sure you get the model with the large rectangular windows, as I believe there''s a model with smaller triangular windows.

I did end up getting a rip in the flyscreen and I think it was caused by a thread that got stuck in the zip.

I used a double mattress too and a large dog cushion and there was still enough space to change and stuff. We used the annex to sit in occasionally if it was just my daughter and me. It's not huge and most of the time we just used it for storage.

As you can tell, I really liked this tent. There really isn't much I can say against it. But it very much depends on your style of camping and what you are after.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Gear Guide