G'day

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

G'day

Postby jennye » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:38 pm

G'day all,

My name is Jenny and I live in the Northern Suburbs of Adelaide. My fiance and I have young 4 girls and are looking forward to introducing them to the wonders of camping.

Growing up the only holiays we could afford were camping trips and I loved them! Born and raised a country girl I am not afraid to get dirty and absolutely love the bush. As a teenager I spent many weekends hiking and camping and even completed the Katoomba to Mittagong bush walk at 11. There is something magical about roughing it and I think it teaches patience and persistance too - something my girls are in short supply of.

I'd really like some advice on camper trailers v's family tents. I need to purchase everthing from scratch and want to start out right rather than spend money uselessly.

Cheers
Jenny
jennye

Re: G'day

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:58 pm

:hello: Welcome Jennye to this great forum!!!!

We have gone from a tent to a second hand CT to our new CT in Nov 09.

Do you have a budget?

You obviously need room to sleep 6 but do the girls prefer swags, sleeping bags, blow up mattresses, or bunk?

How old are your girls?

Sorry so many questions but if you give us a ball park figure and a few things that are must haves that will give everyone here a better idea of what would suit???? Otherwise the possibilities are endless ::()
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby jennye » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi Xmasbaby,

My girls are 18months, 5, 6 and 10. I don't really know what they want to sleep in as we've never taken them camping ( i know.. shock horror!) so I guess they'll sleep in whatever we end up getting them. The youngest will still be in her porta cot for a while yet so she's sorted.

I haven't set a budget (obsiously nothing ludicrous as having a big family means $ are tight) yet as I see this as a long term investment what I really want to get right is the set up. I have in the past spent copious amount of money trying to get something right and ended up spending more money than if i'd done my research and just gone bought it straight off the bat (even if it was more expensive than I was planning on).

How much should I be looking at spending if I wanted a family tent or camper trailor - to get a good one that will last? I am such a newbie! I want to be able to do caravan and also bush camping, whatever it is needs to be easy to put up and down, have enough space to fit us all in for sleeping and if it rains. Aside from the cost what are the advantages and disadvantages of them?

Thanks for the repsonse, this is a great site! I've been reading the various topics in the forums for the better part of the afternoon and they are informative and interesting!
jennye

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Yep this is a great forum....

My girls are 12 & 15 now and both sleep in swags we bought them about 5 years ago. We bought all three of our kids the King Single swags for Xmas and they have been great, not only for camping but for sleepovers and when we have extras come and stay. I know the 5 & 6 yold maybe a little small for them but you will have them forever.....

The best part of having our CT over our tent is the setting up, the canvas, the kitchen, the being able to store everything in it and the very best part is the inner spring mattress. :armsup

We had a second hand CT before that one that was very basic, no annexe, no kitchen and only 9ft not 12ft like we have now. But it did us just fine and I loved it heaps more than the tent.

Everyone will have a different opinion though but after having tried both I much prefer the CT than the tent.

But it depends on budget....our Oztrail Oddessy tent we had cost us $500, the second hand CT cost us $6K and the new Customline CT we have now cost us $13K but it is our forever one, as we are not caravan people and want to travel Oz when we retire in around 10-15 years time.... :?# Another thing to remember is that with the CT you only have to buy the kids beds, some chairs,table and the kitchen stuff can come from your kitchen at home whereas with the tent you have to buy your bedding, the kids bedding, kitchen setup, chairs, table,etc plus also have enough room in the car to fit it all plus your luggage, food and maybe a fridge and/or esky. Our esky gets strapped to the toolbox on the CT and the fridge is in the back of the Prado and we are left with plenty of room for luggage. Just some points to consider but then again it all depends on the $$$$$$$$.

Our CT is here: http://camping.com.au/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=2430&hilit=customline&start=165&sid=5f051e24323be13a67c93f3cb596011f#p33808
Hope this helps.....keep the questions coming we loooovvvvee them... ::)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby dea » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi .. we also have 4 kids ... 10,10,9,5... we use 2 sets of oztrail bunks in our CT works a treat .. my twins are 10 & have just started in thier own tent.. so that makes life in the CT a little easier & more room too ...we purchased our Ct brand new just over 12 months ago ... & have just slowly added to it & have it pretty much set up now except for batteries ... ours is the oztrail 12 ... & we paid $5500 for it ... my dada built our kitchen ...

good luck & happy camping !!!!

cheers Dea
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby Lin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi Jenny and welcome!

I only have one child (and a furry one) so we're in a very different situation. I'm happy with a tent and tarp, but even with a basic set-up, it fills our little car up to the roof.

I would think that for a 6-person family the packing and unpacking process for tent-camping would be quite a nightmare. At least with a CT you'd already have most of your stuff always ready and "all" you need to do is get the clothes, towels and the millions of toys and personal belongings kids want to lug with together.

If you need to pack a tent, camp kitchen, tarp, etc. the checklist becomes quite a lot longer. Something to consider?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:46 pm

I think Lin answered Very well, I do agree with Her.
Welcome to the forum.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Serenity Now » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi Jennye,

I too agree with Lin.

We have just bought a pre loved soft floor CT after years of tent camping and one of the main reasons was with 3 children we would have to take a friends trailer with us anyway and once packed up and tied down we couldn't access anything .It was great to have a trailer for a while but i know that the convieniance of the CT will be awesome.

SN
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I think the only limitation is financial, Basically what your willing to spend and sacrifice. Personally I think camping is making do with the bare essentials and I pride myself on being "budget concious" although my parter has a different name for it. :lol:

You don't need to have any thing fancy but keep in mind of the basics, somewhere to sleep, something to cook on, something to sit on, Anything else is up to your imagination and budget.

To start off with you could simply get a couple of cheap dome tents, a medium sized tarp, air mattresses, some sleeping bags or blankets from home, a small fold up table, Camp chairs, a couple of torches, an esky and a gas stove. If you don't have any of those items you should budget about $200-250

And of course you don't have to buy it all at the same time, I usually keep an eye out for sale's or I buy things when I don't need them but would use or things that are just fun to take camping. For example glow sticks. I find them great to mark out trip over points like guy ropes, They're good to hand out to the kids. Stick them in a hat, tell them to run around and you always know where they are.

If you do want a bit of luxury, a camper trailer would be the go, and these day's there are a few places that hire them out, and essentially try before you buy.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby jennye » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks everyone!

There are points there I hadn't even considered. I have just come back from being at the inlaws and aparently they have friends who are selling their CT for $3.2k. He is going to check it out for me during the week so I guess fingers crossed it is well looked after.

I think the biggest plus for the CT is the space it frees up and with the 6 of us we need as much as we can! I love that you're a puritan Dave! It's the way I grew up and I loved it, but then I didn't have to do any of the prep work :grin:

Thanks again all, I love this site already! Maybe I can fill in some of the photo for the SA sights as it seems sadly lacking

BTW XB I love your CT and I am more than a little green with envy!
Last edited by jennye on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jennye

Postby Serenity Now » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:40 pm

jennye wrote:Maybe I can fill in some of the photo for the SA sights as it seems sadly lacking

Please please please

we love pics
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:22 pm

WOW it's funny how things work out......goodluck with that CT!! :?#

I'm with SN here we loooovveee pics here so feel free to add away!!! ::)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Introductions: